Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Nov 2020, 11:12 (Ref:4019231)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
World Rallycross Championship 2021

I guess the big question: is there going to be one? Sure there will be interest in taking over from IMG, but very difficult circumstances (and potentially short notice) to start fresh?

Assuming there is a new Championship, it looks like GCK (who have now dropped the "RX") won't be there in such numbers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCK Motorsport
As well as driving ahead with ambitious hydrogen-powered plans, GCK Motorsport are also committed to switching all our racing projects to green energy only from 2021 - which means we will only compete in electric motorsport from next year onwards

Find out more about all of today's news at www.gc-kompetition.com/gckfuturevision
...though a potential that the cars might still be in action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCK Motorsport
We haven't turned our back on RX - it's at our core and we anticipate it going electric in the future! And the Megane R.S. RX may well come out to play next year, but GCK Motorsport won't be racing in thermic anymore
Joel Christoffersson (JC Raceteknik) also said that he intends to run cars next year, fingers crossed it is at the top level again.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4019695)   #2
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi is pulling out of Formula E to focus on the Dakar Rally and LMDh, and DTM is basically dead as they will be racing with GT3 cars, whereas they previously also pulled out of the now canned regs for DTM.
https://dirtfish.com/motorsport/daka...gram-for-2022/

Transcript from Dieter Gass when they pulled out of WRX in 2018. https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...ramme/3167987/
“We are involved in Formula E so we already do have a programme in electric motorsport, even though we were very interested in the EWRX, [but] at the end of the day it came very much down to a choice between DTM and EWRX”

This isn't WRX news but I wonder if Audi will ever consider a comeback to WRX as electrification is on the way. On another note, I can't help but feel Audi is a joke for pulling out in favour of DTM and Formula E just to scrap both efforts in two years.

Last edited by crossfades; 30 Nov 2020 at 14:45.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 17:40 (Ref:4019734)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
On another note, I can't help but feel Audi is a joke for pulling out in favour of DTM and Formula E just to scrap both efforts in two years.
In my opinion that's unfair to Audi, a brand that was very active in motorsport in the last 20 years.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 10:39 (Ref:4019860)   #4
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
In my opinion that's unfair to Audi, a brand that was very active in motorsport in the last 20 years.
Why's it unfair? They keep pulling out of motorsport to concentrate on something else, then pull out of that. They pulled out of Le Mans and 3 years later are heading back to Le Mans, it looks silly.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 13:53 (Ref:4019912)   #5
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Why's it unfair? They keep pulling out of motorsport to concentrate on something else, then pull out of that. They pulled out of Le Mans and 3 years later are heading back to Le Mans, it looks silly.
Yeah, and it's especially silly when they pulled out of WRX in favour of DTM as they just preferred DTM for combustion engines, and in favour of Formula E because they already had a programme for the electric side at that point. Basically, they scrapped WRX to compete in two other disciplines they've already given up.

Besides, they are still very committed to motorsport.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 19:44 (Ref:4019993)   #6
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi are very sensitive to the board, they only want to compete in stuff that relates to their range now and hits zero emissions targets, or goes to new markets, they won everything else to the point it was just habit.

Most modern manufacturers are so scared of doing anything new right now
Old 2 Dec 2020, 13:00 (Ref:4020150)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Johan Kristoffersson joins Extreme E. He will race for Nico Rosberg's team.

EDIT: I see already some other rx drivers confirmed:
Mattias Ekström will drive for Abt.
Timmy Hansen for Andretti.

Kristoffersson and Ekström future drivers for Audi in Dakar?

Last edited by FIRE; 2 Dec 2020 at 13:10.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 13:06 (Ref:4020152)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
More than 15 years in Le Mans, in Formula E since the start. I would not call that "keep pulling out of motorsport".

Yes they did it in WRX, but Peugeot and VW did the same. I think there was more in it than just change of plans at Audi.
Old 2 Dec 2020, 13:30 (Ref:4020158)   #9
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
More than 15 years in Le Mans, in Formula E since the start. I would not call that "keep pulling out of motorsport".

Yes they did it in WRX, but Peugeot and VW did the same. I think there was more in it than just change of plans at Audi.
Okay, so they don't 'keep' doing it, but 2 motorsports they pulled out of within the last few years to concentrate on DTM and Formula E.... which they've now pulled out of to return to one of the motorsports they pulled out of 4 years ago so that they could concentrate on DTM and Formula E...which they've now pulled out of
Old 3 Dec 2020, 09:32 (Ref:4020319)   #10
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surprised to see Volkswagen canning their motorsport division, I had wondered if we might see them back in rallycross again once electric had take more of a foothold.

With that in mind I wonder if there is more chance of Johan associating himself with another marque in rallycross.
Old 3 Dec 2020, 16:34 (Ref:4020432)   #11
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Surprised to see Volkswagen canning their motorsport division, I had wondered if we might see them back in rallycross again once electric had take more of a foothold.

With that in mind I wonder if there is more chance of Johan associating himself with another marque in rallycross.
Yeah, any support from VW Motorsport in any discipline will also be gone. Perhaps that Munnich SEAT is a possibility after all, if it's still at an offer.

Honestly though, unless electric cars make ralllycross relevant, I don't think he should bother with rallycross. He is too talented to compete in it as a privateer.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 06:41 (Ref:4023372)   #12
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 round calendar announced

22-23 May - Spa Francorchamps
12-13 June - Hell
19-20 June - Kouvola
03-04 July - Höljes
24-25 July - Barcelona
31 July-01 August - Nürburgring
21-22 August - TBA (Europe)
04-05 September - Lohéac
15-16 October - TBA (Middle East/Asia)
27-28 November - Killarney

6 rounds for RX2e. 5 rounds for Euro RX Supercars (RX1) and Super 1600 (RX3)

The new promoter has not been announced yet.

A few guesses for the TBA European round are Montalegre, Riga, Estering and Lydden. Obviously hoping for UK round but I doubt it.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 09:47 (Ref:4023384)   #13
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I assume the Middle East/Asia round would be Abu Dhabi.

Presumably people at IMG have been involved in agreeing these dates with venues as placeholders?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Dec 2020, 22:57 (Ref:4023518)   #14
hoffman66
Racer

IMG are not involved at all anymore
Old 18 Dec 2020, 14:06 (Ref:4023638)   #15
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well they are, it's on their website. Also as it's currently out to tender there must be someone speaking to circuits and deciding what the calendar would be (even if not agreeing contracts). I'm not sure the FIA would do this, hence why I said it was presumably IMG (on the basis that they are still the promoter until the end of year)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Feb 2021, 11:44 (Ref:4034661)   #16
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Finally some news...not necessarily all good news, but at least it's news

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA World RX Facebook
FIA and WRC Promoter will join forces for FIA World Rallycross Championship
The FIA today announces that it has paved the way to a promising co-operation with the World Rally Championship Promoter Group for the promotion of the FIA World Rallycross Championship.
The FIA and WRC Promoter will work together to implement the 2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship and look forward to concluding a multi-year promoter agreement for the German-based company to be entrusted with commercial and media rights for the series.
As part of the collaboration with WRC Promoter, the company has committed to investment in the world championship and in particular the development of the future electrification of rallycross.
From 2021, rallycross will launch the entry-level FIA RX2e Championship, the first-ever FIA electric rallycross championship.
The 2021 FIA World RX (RX1) season is scheduled to start at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium on May 22-23. The event will be supported by FIA RX2e. The FIA European RX1 and European RX3 Championships will also form part of the 2021 calendar. The new RX1e electric FIA World Rallycross Championship will debut in 2022, featuring four-wheel drive 600+ hp/500 kW Touring Cars, capable of accelerating from 0 to 100kph in less than 2 seconds with performance levels that are capable of exceeding the current ICE Supercars.
Last month the FIA launched a request for proposal for the promotion of the FIA European Rallycross Championship from 2022-2025. Submissions for that tender are now under consideration.
Peter Bayer, Secretary General for Sport, FIA said: “We are pleased to be aligning with WRC Promoter as we build towards a ground-breaking electric future for the FIA World Rallycross Championship. The FIA and WRC Promoter have reached a common vision on how to work together for the benefit and the growth of rallycross. Our respective teams are working on a long-form agreement, look forward to commencing work on the 2021 championship and to the move of the sport towards a bright, more sustainable and greener future. We have worked extensively with the company as the promoter of the FIA World Rally Championship for a number of years and we anticipate they will bring the same energy and dynamism to the promotion of rallycross.”
Jona Siebel, Managing Director, WRC Promoter, said: “World Rallycross sits on the verge of an innovative and pioneering future. We see strong growth potential in all areas and WRC Promoter is delighted to be at the forefront of a series focused on sustainable technology and e-mobility. Rallycross provides breathtaking thrills and spills and we will build new foundations to create an engaging and progressive platform for our global audience and partners.”
Old 11 Feb 2021, 11:50 (Ref:4034663)   #17
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it good news? Is the WRC massively better off since they took over? Struggling to attract more manufacturers doesn't convince me they're brilliant at promoting.
Whilst they haven't announced any plans, they surely need it to be 'free to air'. They have Red Bull TV they could stream it on, or YouTube.....
Old 11 Feb 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4034664)   #18
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Is it good news?
Like I said, not necessarily all good news. I'd rather someone picked it up than no one, at the minute we only have regional RX series as Euro is still out to tender/being reviewed.

WRC is a huge investment for a manufacturer (more so that RX due to homologation restrictions) and no one has really been able to attract a decent number of manufacturers in the last 20 years. I agree that RX is best as FTV at the minute, but there's already a good infrastructure of Youtube and Facebook channels.

Ultimately they're two different disciplines and require a different style of coverage, people are happy to pay for WRC Live but I doubt that model will work for RX in the same way, certainly not initially and less so when it's electric.

Last edited by SnoodyMcFlude; 11 Feb 2021 at 12:05.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4034858)   #19
hoffman66
Racer

I doubt this is much more than bad news sadly.

Red Bull have done very littel media wise with WRC, alart from making sure they are all over the winning cars and drovers to push their brand, Citroen, VW Ogier etc.

IMG did a lot of things wrong but making hte round available on youtube was very good, basically I presume since they could not push it anywhere else.

Red Bull will probably try and push it in with the WRC package and it will fail, then it will just be ditched on to their own tv channel, where it will be more about presenters and looks than coverage as most of their tv shows are.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4034947)   #20
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
If you manage to have a motorsport on TV these, you have probably done something good. The lack of media attention is not down to Red Bull I think but rather the lack in general for motorports that isn't Formula 1, MotoGP, maybe IndyCar etc, the bigger ones that is.

WRC is getting more exposure than WRX at least and there is definitely a way bigger interest at WRC rounds and way more countries looking to host a round.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4035092)   #21
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many manufacturers,cars, drivers are expected to go electric for 2022? I really hoped the new promoter would reopen the doors to more privateers but that is very unlikely to happen.

If there is a positive then from next year the european championship with a lot of cars becoming available could become very strong.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4035199)   #22
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
How many manufacturers,cars, drivers are expected to go electric for 2022? I really hoped the new promoter would reopen the doors to more privateers but that is very unlikely to happen.
Arguably the electric thing does open more doors, seem to remember Coley saying that the electric drivetrain is considerably cheaper than a decent Pipo engine. The fact that the electric drivetrain fits straight into an R5 shell is also a benefit. I still doubt we'll see too many of them, but I don't think money would be the reason
Old 19 Feb 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4035875)   #23
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
EKS and JC officially linking up to be one team, kinda seemed that way anyway last season. Also Mattias confirming that they're working on electric vehicles, not sure if that's RX or rallying specific, but I suspect RX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOqJ...ab_channel=EKS
Old 19 Feb 2021, 20:32 (Ref:4035947)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
EKS and JC officially linking up to be one team, kinda seemed that way anyway last season.
Yeah, was hard to figure out where one team finished and the other one started last year.

I am pleased by the announcement though. The EKS S1 are one of my favourites in the current crop of cars and it sounds like they have plenty of action planned for them this year.
Old 20 Feb 2021, 16:34 (Ref:4036049)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The WRC had four manufacturers in 2014-2015 and 2017-2019.

In 2020, the WRX had four different manufacturers in the top 4 drivers standings. Other manufacturers got podiums too. It's not bad at all.