Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2020, 05:44 (Ref:4018995)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain Grand Prix 2020: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 15 of 17

Newly-crowned seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton arrives in Bahrain for a double-header of rounds at this location in the Sakhir desert area, which make up firstly the sixteenth Bahrain Grand Prix, and next weekend, the Sakhir Grand Prix. Despite both titles being secured, a monumental battle for some of the other championship positions is going on behind and we can expect to see two different layouts used over the two races, with the familiar layout this weekend and the Outer Track in the subsequent event.

The inaugural Grand Prix was won by eventual seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher from his Ferrari team-mate Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button in his BAR. In 2005, the new forthcoming champion Fernando Alonso took the spoils. Schumacher had run off the track in his pursuit of the Renault driver and soon retired with a hydraulic problem, bringing his run of 58 races without a mechanical retirement to an end. Race day also brought the hottest conditions yet seen at a Grand Prix, with 41.9 degree and 56 degree air and track temperatures.

Alonso again had the measure of Schumacher the following year, overturning Schumacher's lead during the pitstops. Bahrain hosted the season's curtain raiser this time, the first race for both the 2.4-litre V8s and for the Q1, Q2 and Q3 qualifying system. Perhaps most memorably, Kimi Räikkönen came a cropper in Q1 with a rear wishbone failure, failing to set a time, and charging through in the race to 3rd on a one-stop strategy.

Felipe Massa won in his Ferrari in 2007, with Lewis Hamilton 2nd in the McLaren and Kimi Räikkönen 3rd for the third successive season, this time in a Ferrari. Alonso, Räikkönen and Hamilton all left the race equal on points after three Grands Prix. Hamilton also became the first person to ever take a podium in his first three F1 races.

Massa won again in 2008 from Räikkönen, with polesitter Robert Kubica completing the podium for BMW-Sauber. Hamilton drove into the back of Alonso and ended up a lap down.

In 2009, Toyotas locked out the front row of the grid for the first time, with Jarno Trulli on pole and Timo Glock second. Glock took the lead at the first corner, but it was Jenson Button who won for Brawn from fourth on the grid. In 2010, Bahrain had the season opener for the second time and Alonso led home a Ferrari 1-2, where for one occasion only as it turned out, the Grand Prix used the longer 6.299 km Endurance layout. By taking victory, Alonso became the seventh and most recent driver to win on his debut for the Prancing Horse.

In 2011, a month before the Grand Prix was due to be held, it was cancelled following the Bahraini protests, returning the following season and seeing the first of two successive Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull victories (and two identical podia – with Kimi Räikkönen and Romain Grosjean second and third for Lotus both times), before Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes took two in a row in 2014 and 2015. In the first of those two years, there was a particularly thrilling duel between team-mates Hamilton and Rosberg, with some hard and close racing, and Pastor Maldonado also tipped Esteban Gutiérrez into a roll.

In 2016, the fairly unanimously unpopular qualifying format which saw a car eliminated every 90 seconds was used for the second and last time. Rosberg won, and there was a first corner collision between Valtteri Bottas, Hamilton and Daniel Ricciardo, while Sebastian Vettel didn't even make the grid, thanks to an engine failure. Hamilton managed to get back to third.
The following year, Bottas took pole early in his Mercedes career, but Vettel won in the Ferrari from Hamilton and his team-mate.

In 2018, Max Verstappen, making his way up from 15th on the grid, tangled with Lewis Hamilton, who had fallen to 10th, puncturing his left rear. Kimi Räikkönen collided with Ferrari crew member Francesco Cigarini, breaking his tibia and fibula, after his team's pit light changed to green early. Bottas harried leader Vettel, but didn't make it past. They finished like that, with Hamilton in third. Pierre Gasly claimed his first points and Honda's best finish since their return, with an excellent 4th place.

Last year, Charles Leclerc secured his maiden pole position, but was beaten away off the line by Vettel and Bottas. He got back in the lead, however, but lost likely victory when he lost a cylinder. Vettel was harried by Hamilton, who got by, causing Vettel to spin on his own. Hamilton won, followed by Bottas and the hapless Leclerc.

As to this configuration, after the start-finish straight and DRS Detection Zone 1, Turn 1 is a right-hand hairpin, while the gentle left-hand 2 feeds into a small right-hander which just takes drivers onto the next straight (with DRS activation). Turn 4 is a slightly off-camber right, while the 5, 6 and 7 left-right-left challenges the downforce. Turn 8 is another right-hand hairpin.

DRS detection can be attained at the end of the next straight, just before the tricky Turns 9 and 10. Drivers go left through 9 and have to brake while turning, making it easy to lock up the unloaded tyre. 10 is a tighter left. The next straight can see DRS activation, before increased gradient and a change in style for the remainder of the lap.

There is a long left-hander in 11, before the flat-out right at 12. 13 is a tighter right and the start of Sector 3. DRS Detection Zone 3 is at the end of the next straight and the lap ends with the 90-degree right of 14 and its extension at the end of 15. The DRS activation will be on the next straight.

Trivia

The Turkish Grand Prix was the first fully wet race (no dry tyres used) to run a full distance since the Spanish Grand Prix 1996.

Robert Kubica will feature in FP1 for Alfa Romeo. The Pole's pole in 2008 was the only one of his career, and the sole pole for Sauber in any of its guises.

Kimi Räikkönen has taken eight podium positions in Bahrain without winning.

Sebastian Vettel is the most successful driver here so far, with four wins, compared to Hamilton's three.

Of the current drivers, only these two have taken victory here.

Bahrain is one of only two of the current where McLaren have not won (along with Sochi).

Just six of the fifteen races have been won from pole, yet never has the Grand Prix been won from lower than 4th on the grid.

Circuit length: 5.412km
Number of laps: 57
Race distance: 308.238km
Race Lap Record: 1:31.447 (Pedro de la Rosa - McLaren-Mercedes - 2005)
Dry weather tyre compounds: C2, C3 & C4
First Bahrain Grand Prix: 2004

Join the fun in the Predictions Contest and Fantasy F1:

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155000

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155006
Old 27 Nov 2020, 10:36 (Ref:4019030)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So here we are then, we gonna see any surprises this weekend? Not really looking forward to the second race here, but this one should be a good one. Watch out for the Racing Points. Here's to a great race weekend

Nice to look back at old times BR, I still remember the first race here after all this time and all the subsequent ones too. It's hard to pick out the best, but we've had enough good ones to look back on. I hope we can have another good one here

Last year's race was a good one, plenty of action, but I can't say I get too excited over it being a night race. I think it's fine in the day. The problem is though F1 has gone down a blind alley with things like DRS and two compounds per race, it's taken away some of the sports side of things as F1 shouldn't need that stuff, it just needs simpler rules. But we'll see how things go.

After the Turkish GP things will probably be a bit less action packed, but hopefully still enough to keep things interesting. That's really something though that we've had plenty of wet races, but we hadn't had one where no one uses any dries since 96. Guess the weather has been a little too perfect

No doubt too some might use this as a test session for the future, certainly I wonder if that's the thinking behind Alfa using Kubica in FP1. Although that pole by Robert in 08 seems like a long time ago, not surprising really.

Anyway watch out for Kimi and the Mercs and the Ferraris, not forgetting the Racing Points. And don't rule out the Renaults and McLarens for a good result, although, as I said, a surprise or two could be in store. Hopefully this can be part of a good end to the season. I am already looking forward to hopefully a close competitive race
Old 27 Nov 2020, 11:32 (Ref:4019043)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
^^^^ Not really looking forward to the second race here, but this one should be a good one.

Why not Griff?

I must admit I am really looking forward to next weeks race on the "oval", it is an atypical F1 circuit and should throw up something interesting for a change.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 11:36 (Ref:4019046)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think it’s worth it, one GP here is enough. Just makes me miss the truly great circuits more

I prefer traditional tracks like Suzuka and I feel that going to Bahrain a second time won’t make it any better. We shouldn’t need anything radical, keep things simple
Old 27 Nov 2020, 12:35 (Ref:4019070)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t think it’s worth it, one GP here is enough. Just makes me miss the truly great circuits more

I prefer traditional tracks like Suzuka and I feel that going to Bahrain a second time won’t make it any better. We shouldn’t need anything radical, keep things simple
Given our Covid problems, the outer circuit seems a good change up to me.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 15:39 (Ref:4019098)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great intro BR! liked the Trivia addition.

bring on the Rain in Bahrain! in its own way, 2020 just keeps on delivering!

will wait til after this race before complaining about the next race!
Old 27 Nov 2020, 15:43 (Ref:4019100)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

Yes BR has helped us look forward to it even more. Great race looking like it will be

Will there be rain in Bahrain though? I think the race will be good wet or dry

Btw I just thought I would get my thoughts about the second GP off my chest
Old 27 Nov 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4019156)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro as ever. I can't say I'm a big fan of Bahrain, though the first night race back in 2014, was one of the best GPs I had seen in a while and gave it 10. However, I doubt we will see a repeat of that this weekend.
Old 27 Nov 2020, 19:58 (Ref:4019164)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I am a traditionalist too when it comes to F1. I don't really care for these GPs in countries who have never had a motorsports heritage and who will never develop any grass roots motorsport, despite having a GP. Joining the F1 Club was just a money making scheme concocted by Bernie. I had hoped with Liberty running the show, things would change but no such luck it would seem, as Chase Carey wants a 25 race season. Anyway, that's another subject.

I think it's worth it. In a year when the F1 calendar has been thrown into turmoil by Covid, what better time for F1 to try something different and as both the WCC and WDC have been decided, I doubt there will be too many complaints if it turns out to be a dud race. However if it's a success, maybe Chase would like to add it to his 25 race season?
Old 27 Nov 2020, 20:37 (Ref:4019170)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

I think less is more. Some GPs are better than others and F1 has tried to bite off more than it can chew in the past. 25 races is not the way to go. It should be quality, not quantity

Really having another race here shows how bad things are. We should have better circuits on the calendar. Trying out the new track doesn’t do much, the one we got at Bahrain is enough. I don’t think the outer one will be a success. And it seems the owners haven’t learned any lessons from this year. They should have 19 GPs, but at better venues, with a good mix of old and new, not just all these GPs, with plenty not adding anything
Old 27 Nov 2020, 22:26 (Ref:4019182)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think less is more. Some GPs are better than others and F1 has tried to bite off more than it can chew in the past. 25 races is not the way to go. It should be quality, not quantity
I agree, less is more and with quality, not quantity.

Quote:
Really having another race here shows how bad things are. We should have better circuits on the calendar. Trying out the new track doesn’t do much, the one we got at Bahrain is enough. I don’t think the outer one will be a success. And it seems the owners haven’t learned any lessons from this year. They should have 19 GPs, but at better venues, with a good mix of old and new, not just all these GPs, with plenty not adding anything
Having another race at Bahrain is purely down to Covid. With the season starting in July and trying to put a 17 race calendar together, with different countries lockingdown and quarantines being imposed, will have made things very tricky. The upshot is the calendar we've got, which is better than none. At this juncture no one knows whether the outer circuit will be a success or not, we'll just have to wait until the following weekend.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 10:23 (Ref:4019226)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm looking forward to a race on a 'different' track. It has been the one blessing of this season that we've seen F1 races on different tracks, IMO. And some of them have been tremendous.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 14:20 (Ref:4019249)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

I would rather they tried it in a different location. However it has been good to see some of the more traditional GPs return, if only they could combine them with other great GPs that were supposed to go ahead this year, i.e. Canada, Australia, Japan, France, Brazil, Monaco. And not forgetting the ones that did go ahead as planned like Britain, Spain, Hungary, Belgium and Italy
Old 28 Nov 2020, 14:27 (Ref:4019252)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I would rather they tried it in a different location. However it has been good to see some of the more traditional GPs return, if only they could combine them with other great GPs that were supposed to go ahead this year, i.e. Canada, Australia, Japan, France, Brazil, Monaco. And not forgetting the ones that did go ahead as planned like Britain, Spain, Hungary, Belgium and Italy
Because of Covid no other location checked out.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 14:28 (Ref:4019253)   #15
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only person who finds Ted Kravitz ( made up name) wearingly patronising, childish and sarcastic?
Old 28 Nov 2020, 14:32 (Ref:4019255)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Qualifying has been red flagged, as Sainz's McLaren has suddenly stopped on the track.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 14:52 (Ref:4019261)   #17
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Am I the only person who finds Ted Kravitz ( made up name) wearingly patronising, childish and sarcastic?
No. And there’s his near total lack of real knowledge.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 15:48 (Ref:4019267)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting to watch the lap comparison between Hamilton and Bottas. Bottas was in front in the earlier part of the lap, so Hamilton didn't have it all his way, but those were big margins on the places he was quicker, such as one of the fast corners near the end of the lap. He was also faster exiting that slow double-left.
Old 28 Nov 2020, 16:33 (Ref:4019272)   #19
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Interesting to watch the lap comparison between Hamilton and Bottas. Bottas was in front in the earlier part of the lap, so Hamilton didn't have it all his way, but those were big margins on the places he was quicker, such as one of the fast corners near the end of the lap. He was also faster exiting that slow double-left.
Sooner or later people are going to have to accept he is quite good!!
Old 28 Nov 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4019279)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sooner or later people are going to have to accept he is quite good!!
Yes he is good but the car is better
Old 28 Nov 2020, 22:06 (Ref:4019293)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for a great intro as always BR!

On too late here in Oz (starts after midnight) to bother with live but Monday morning is the plan. Q result looks reasonably predictable though.
Old 29 Nov 2020, 11:23 (Ref:4019358)   #22
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yes he is good but the car is better

And, as is most often the case, in the better car, he is the better driver, usually capable of pulling out that little bit more when needed
Old 29 Nov 2020, 12:14 (Ref:4019361)   #23
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Nope, he & "Crofty" are really starting to grate. They were good for the first couple of years but since then it all feels very forced & immature especially through the practice sessions.
Old 29 Nov 2020, 12:41 (Ref:4019364)   #24
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it interesting how the restriction on mapping has allowed the field to close up on Merc......not.
Old 29 Nov 2020, 13:01 (Ref:4019368)   #25
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I've never really had a problem with Ted. I must be missing something or just stupid myself if he's "wearingly patronising, childish and sarcastic" and has a "near total lack of real knowledge." I would hate to see how little knowledge I have in that case.

Crofty on the other hand... there's no need to scream for a race start that sees everyone through cleanly and single file by turn 2. The spectacle just wasn't there, don't make one up.

Back to the race weekend, qualifying order doesn't necessarily inspire a lot of confidence for a decent race, unless something unusual happens to Hamilton.