Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2020, 14:31 (Ref:4014307)   #251
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I propose a new rule. Any team or engine manufacturer who threatens to leave F1 if the rules aren't built the way they want them should be given a 10 year ban. Especially engine manufacturers only interested in pushing costs up to stop new entries.
What an absolutely stupid rule. This sort of scenario is best solved by fewer rules that allow the small teams to gain an advantage at less expense, not by creating a situation in which Ferrari appeal to the FIA to investigate the comments made by a disgruntled rival team principle after both cars suffer an engine problem in one Grand Prix and the resulting legal mess.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 14:47 (Ref:4014312)   #252
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I propose a new rule. Any team or engine manufacturer who threatens to leave F1 if the rules aren't built the way they want them should be given a 10 year ban. Especially engine manufacturers only interested in pushing costs up to stop new entries.
That would have removed Ferrari for most of the history of the world championship.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 14:50 (Ref:4014315)   #253
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only if the rule was introduced retrospectively. Using todays rules you can ban every car in the world championship backwards. But that isn't how rules work.

Stop allowing manufacturers to dictate the rules. They are here for a short time. We're allowing them to build a walled garden and when they leave we won't have anyone tall enough to scale the wall.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 14:56 (Ref:4014319)   #254
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Only if the rule was introduced retrospectively. Using todays rules you can ban every car in the world championship backwards. But that isn't how rules work.
I realized that and I was just being silly, while pointing out that it has happened a lot. Perhaps even showing that there was something in what you said
Old 1 Nov 2020, 15:07 (Ref:4014322)   #255
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Reb Bull should concentrate on the next power unit generation. If that is 2023, the 2022 Renault unit will do perfectly fine.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 18:31 (Ref:4014364)   #256
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
FIA shouldn't give an as both Red Bull and Honda were against the freeze back when it was decided.
Now the situation hs changed and suddenly Red Bull need it.

Let them race with a Renault and plan for the next generation of enine rules.

Based on this year's engine performance, I don't think Reanult is that far off anyhow.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 19:30 (Ref:4014387)   #257
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
FIA shouldn't give an as both Red Bull and Honda were against the freeze back when it was decided.
Now the situation hs changed and suddenly Red Bull need it.

Let them race with a Renault and plan for the next generation of enine rules.

Based on this year's engine performance, I don't think Reanult is that far off anyhow.
Well, the main reason for not doing a freeze is that the current system has a solution for this. Which would likely be (as you say) for one or more PU supplier to be forced to supply RBR and AT. Most likely one each by Renault and Ferrari. That is just not the solution RBR/AT likes.

Also, to my understanding, short of some type of force majeure situation (which this isn't from an FIA/F1 perspective), any freeze in the near future needs to be a unanimous decision which is extremely unlikely without special compensation being provided to sweeten the deal for those in the "no" camp. And without those sweeteners moving Mercedes away from "yes".

Richard
Old 1 Nov 2020, 20:11 (Ref:4014389)   #258
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Well, the main reason for not doing a freeze is that the current system has a solution for this. Which would likely be (as you say) for one or more PU supplier to be forced to supply RBR and AT. Most likely one each by Renault and Ferrari. That is just not the solution RBR/AT likes.
2x Renault IMO.
Ferrari already has 3 teams (Alfa, Haas and Ferrari themselves), Renault only has 1 (themselves)

4-3-3 would be better than 4-4-2

Renault AND Ferrari would probably even worse for Red Bull than 2x Renault from a 'common component' and development point of view.

Quote:
Also, to my understanding, short of some type of force majeure situation (which this isn't from an FIA/F1 perspective), any freeze in the near future needs to be a unanimous decision which is extremely unlikely without special compensation being provided to sweeten the deal for those in the "no" camp. And without those sweeteners moving Mercedes away from "yes".
Richard
Exactly, that's why it won't happen IMO.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 23:07 (Ref:4014433)   #259
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I dunno, they're both pretty old fashioned formations and don't really work in the current era that well unless the full backs are allowed to roam forward as wingers while the front players adopt a less traditional line.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 02:27 (Ref:4014449)   #260
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
2x Renault IMO.
Ferrari already has 3 teams (Alfa, Haas and Ferrari themselves), Renault only has 1 (themselves)

Renault AND Ferrari would probably even worse for Red Bull than 2x Renault from a 'common component' and development point of view.
Sorry yes. I was going off your 2nd (and less likely) scenario from post #200. I seem to have somehow thought that was the prime scenario vs. the more likely of Renault doing both (at least it balances that way). I didn't go back and review that discussion before posting.

Regardless, the entire thing with my recent post is that talk of moving up the freeze is a longshot at best. There would have to be some behind the scenes arm twisting to make that happen. And I doubt anyone is in a position to allow their arms to be twisted.

Richard
Old 2 Nov 2020, 02:39 (Ref:4014452)   #261
Richard C
Veteran

Wolff saying the freeze is unlikely to happen.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...nault/4902153/

Richard
Old 2 Nov 2020, 06:12 (Ref:4014468)   #262
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He obviously doesn’t have that much influence. We’ll see if not having the engine freeze does much to improve things. Time will tell, I’m sure there will be some cost cutting measures coming in in time
Old 11 Feb 2021, 15:42 (Ref:4034695)   #263
Richard C
Veteran

I didn't think it would happen, but apparently enough arms were twisted to make it so. This is the boulder that needed to move to make the idea of Red Bull taking over the Honda engine program viable.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-2022/5381277/

Richard
Old 11 Feb 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4034721)   #264
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
According to rumour it may be a Red Bull Audi in 2025.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4034724)   #265
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We haven't had a VW to move into F1 rumour for several weeks.Can somebody think why the group,which has just pulled VW out of all ICE motorsport and dropped FE would do it?Unless of course there is some backstage politics about the nature and extent of the Hybrid element.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 07:06 (Ref:4034765)   #266
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Wolff saying the freeze is unlikely to happen.
Engine freeze confirmed: https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-to...eeze-for-2022/

Old 12 Feb 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4034768)   #267
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
More here..

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/12/...tatus-in-2025/

They are speculating Red Bull Porsche in 2025

All the rumours indicate VW Group in some form could be RBR's engine supplier in 2025.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 10:32 (Ref:4034788)   #268
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So we finally gonna see the VW name return to F1? It's been long enough. The rumours have been non-stop these past 10 years
Old 12 Feb 2021, 10:56 (Ref:4034791)   #269
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
We haven't had a VW to move into F1 rumour for several weeks.Can somebody think why the group,which has just pulled VW out of all ICE motorsport and dropped FE would do it?Unless of course there is some backstage politics about the nature and extent of the Hybrid element.
Not sure what you're referring to here. VW was never in FE. If we're talking about the VAG as a whole, they have not dropped out of all ICE motorsports. They've just added LMDh to the future plans with Audi - Porsche looking to be involved too.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4034796)   #270
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So we finally gonna see the VW name return to F1? It's been long enough. The rumours have been non-stop these past 10 years

Return, when was Volkswagen last in F1?
Old 12 Feb 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4034806)   #271
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Return, when was Volkswagen last in F1?
Maybe it should read 'a' VW name?
Old 12 Feb 2021, 12:54 (Ref:4034812)   #272
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
When was the last time a VAG brand was in F1? Porsche is the obvious one, but they were not VAG at that point.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4034820)   #273
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-in-formula-1
Old 12 Feb 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4034825)   #274
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Accurate, but also to the point in the post above, I am pretty sure none were part of VAG at the time of their participation. So IMHO, its a pretty pointless discussion. It would be like if Tesla bought Honda and we then started to talk about the "Return of Tesla to F1"!! Now... if we want to talk about the return of Porsche, Audi, etc. then that makes sense.

Regarding Red Bull. I think their options going forward are...

1. Do their own solution in 2025
2. Partner with a manufacture

With a freeze, I expect there probably is little reason to expect they can't continue forward with whatever Honda provides them at the end of 2021. But, even with a simplified solution for 2025, there will be a good bit of R&D for whatever comes about as it will likely be similar, but yet different to what we have today (other thread to speculate on that). So I think unless the 2025 spec is extremely simple (i.e. off the shelf) and/or highly regulated to stop development, that Red Bull has to go with option #2. However they probably are exploring both options as negotiations for 2025 spec happens.

Richard
Old 12 Feb 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4034837)   #275
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

I did a bit of Googling and came across that as well.