Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Jun 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2901856)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heads-up: Silverstone Classic - Delta's BBQ for Marshals

It's that time of year again and the traditional Delta Motorsport Marshal's BBQ social event is in the planning phase.

The timetable for the Classic this year looks a little challenging and the paddock split even more so.

If anyone heading for the Classic has any suggestions about the most appropriate timing(s) and location(s) for this traditional event please have your say.

There's a thread running here already so it would probably be best to add to that and keep it all in one place.

I'm guessing that the obvious option - a brunch on Monday - is not going to suit many ...

If anyone knows where the DFV powered Transit is we might be able to arrange deliveries to posts under the guise of a demonstration run.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2904266)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some idea of numbers required for the Delta BBQ

Right, it looks like there is only one sensible choice of time and location for this year so Friday night it is and located conveniently in the Old Paddock area relatively close to the camp site.

To give delta some idea of the number likely to be able to make it please head to the thread linked in the previous post and let him know.

Apologies to those who can't make the event until Saturday or Sunday but there is little room for flexibility on this one given the event timetable as it stands at the moment.

Mods: Can someone please make this a sticky for a couple of weeks so no one misses out?
Old 22 Jun 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2904327)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BBQ is a really nice gesture and I recommend attending if you can. If a team can go to this effort in support of us marshals, then the least you can do is turn up and say "thank you" for the "thank you".
Old 22 Jun 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2904328)   #4
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I dont think i will make it this year, but the Delta guys were splendid last year.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2904599)   #5
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just so everyone is aware Iain Rowley (Delta) and his team cover the BBQ but many other drivers supply beer, I would like to thank both Delta and all other drivers who contribute for laying this on. At the present time it looks like start time for BBQ will be 19.45hrs and in the old paddock as said earlier by grantp please let Iain know if you are coming so he has a rough idea of numbers to cater for.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2909572)   #6
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This meeting will be my first visit to Silverstone as a marshal & I am looking forward to it. Any tips as to where to park, where I sign on & what generally to expect from t'other side of the bank. Previous visits to the Classic have been as a spectator, can't wait, especially for the WSM's & Group C - last time at Donny, so should be a good show
Old 1 Jul 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2909608)   #7
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Mike,

The Classic might be a bit different than most for parking & such like. Usually we can park up in the paddock car park - near the diner, but the last map I saw has this in use for karting. We will probably be expected to go around the perimeter road and park at the campsite - hasn't always worked well if the campsite is already full. Through the Copse tunnel on foot & head back past the toilet block & fuel station to the paddock bar for sign-on.

Most posts will be ok to drive to, but some of the junior (untrained?) security kids can be very unhelpful at allowing marshals to drive to post - marshals' badges don't get put on their picture board so they refuse access. The older regulars are fine, so try to get hold of one of them if things get silly.

You'll probably already have picked up that all the posts will have an IO on radio, but PC & flags can be spread away from incident folk at some posts. I suggest that you pop onto the F1 marshal thread and grab the link to the maps on there - useful to have a copy on you to help navigate to post.

The posts can be very exposed - especially important to bear in mind when we run into the evening, waterproof jackets are great windbreaks. Also if it's wet, you'll need a good waterproof sack to store your kit on post, as there tends not to be much in the way of lockers (unless some arrive in the next week or so for Bernie's clubbie?)

See the classic thread for thoughts on the timetable, but do come along very aware that doing all 3 days for the full duration will probably leave you unfit to drive home safely . . .

Say hello if you manage to recognise me!
Old 1 Jul 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2909610)   #8
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
This meeting will be my first visit to Silverstone as a marshal & I am looking forward to it. Any tips as to where to park, where I sign on & what generally to expect from t'other side of the bank. Previous visits to the Classic have been as a spectator, can't wait, especially for the WSM's & Group C - last time at Donny, so should be a good show
To be honest, the Classic is a huge event and with the new paddock and pit building now being open, it's impossible to say whether we'll be able to park on the infield or not. I suspect we'll be asked to park at the outside of Copse and go to sign-on in the paddock bar (in the old paddock) via the Copse tunnel. We'll then probably be able to drive to posts via the perimeter road, with infield posts potentially being a bit more tricky.

Best to follow the instructions that will come with your tickets, and ask at sign-on once you know your post allocation. Talk to other marshals at breakfast and you'll probably quickly find someone on the same post.

Enjoy yourself, use your common sense and follow the advice of your Incident Officer and Post Chief, you won't go far wrong. You will be paired with someone experienced for the day - don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2926517)   #9
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like quite a few people turning up for BBQ, should anyone else like to attend please let Iain Rowley (Delta) know via the thread in the Historic Racing forum. With the number of drivers promising to bring beer along looks like we may struggle to drink it all but I`m sure we can give it a good try.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2927235)   #10
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't mind attending the BBQ.....would be nice to meet up with people after a long day on the bank. My sister and her friend can wait for me till I get back to the campsite, but then again I'm guessing they will be drunk listening to the tribute bands, lol........ican join them later on
Old 15 Jul 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2927243)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A quick bump on this one.

If arrangements for car access to the paddocks are enforced as it seems they are intended to be we may have some fun with the logistics for delivery of food and drinks for the BBQ.

Anything in bottles or cans could be deposited on Thursday but I'm not sure that slow-warming the food for 24 hours would work too well and cold storage facilities will be limited - so we really could do with a good handle on the numbers likely to be around on Friday evening if at all possible.

If you hope to be at the BBQ and have not yet posted the possibility on the thread linked in the first post on this thread, please do! The more the merrier but delta would like to get as accurate an idea of the numbers as possible as early as possible since 'popping out for a few extra supplies' may not be quite as simple as in past years.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2927737)   #12
Jacko
Rookie

England
Frimley, Surrey
Jacko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put me down for two please.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2927765)   #13
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Put me down for two please.
need to book your places in the queue via the other thread, as Grant has just asked us to do . . . .
Old 26 Jul 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2931225)   #14
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain and team,

On behalf of myself, Steve & Jeremy, thank you very much for again putting on a great evening.

Andrew