Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Apr 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3058627)   #1
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 4, 5 and 6, Donington Park

Now I don't want to step out of line as a 'new guy', but I figured that since no-one had started a topic for this weekend's BTCC fun, I would.

So, what do we think? First chance for a 'proper' evaluation of this year's cars, now that the first round silliness is out of the way? All of the teams will have a good amount of useful race information (well, most of them) so hopefully a few more will be on the pace.

It'll be a shame not to see Thorney Motorsports out there (I assume they still plan to miss this weekend and Thruxton) - after reading the very candid write-up for the Mirror the other day, I can't help but feel for them.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Just wanted to get some BTCC discussion going that isn't about Plato's behaviour at Brands, really
Old 13 Apr 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3058657)   #2
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll go bold with the predictionometer - Plato to be involved in a fracas, just like what he was involved in at Brands...

Ooops.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 00:26 (Ref:3058678)   #3
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Well, on the boldness scale, that actually ranks just below 'cars will be driven around the track'

Boldness is this: there will be no contact between any cars at all for the duration of the meeting. Also, Race Three red-flagged due to snow. And earthquakes.

Slightly more on topic: has anyone any information about whether Mr Foster's BMW will be operational?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3058693)   #4
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's one for ya:

The Old Hairpin will be THE place to sit, as it always is
Old 14 Apr 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3058695)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry View Post
Plato to be involved in a fracas,
Would that be down to a large straight-line advantage, meaning he has a high closing speed on the straights.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3058727)   #6
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
10-Tenths Chatroom
Online right now .

(The link is in the red text and here: http://tiny.cc/tenthschat)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3058770)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing's guaranteed - my arms will be aching by the end of the day as there will be a *lot* of flagging to do...
Old 14 Apr 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3058776)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
It'll be a shame not to see Thorney Motorsports out there (I assume they still plan to miss this weekend and Thruxton)
Last I heard they are planning to be there. Whether they have the budget for anything more than a roll of tank-tape is another matter.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3058794)   #9
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm off to Donington this Sunday for my first ever live BTCC meet. Very much looking forward to it. Anyone know where is best for photography around the track? I hear that there is a lot of fencing for safety at Donny, which perhaps isn't the best for pictures!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3058799)   #10
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thorney Motorsport arrived at the track, at their allocated time, on Thursday, Garage 6 i think. Which would suggest they are taking part!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3058800)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
I'm off to Donington this Sunday for my first ever live BTCC meet. Very much looking forward to it. Anyone know where is best for photography around the track? I hear that there is a lot of fencing for safety at Donny, which perhaps isn't the best for pictures!
Welcome to the mad and crazy world of spectating! Yes Donington has fences but it also has an awful lot of banking which gets you above it. My personal favourite place is on the outfield above the Old Hairpin. You can see the cars from Redgate through to Schwantz. Opposite there on the infield you can see from Hollywood to McLeans. With a long lens you should get some decent shots from either.

If you walk a bit further round the outside to McLeans you can see the cars head on as they charge down to the Old Hairpin and then up towards you.

If you don't have too long a lens then along the inside of the start/finish straight is pretty close to the action from the Esses to Redgate.

Get there early and have a walk round :-)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3058861)   #12
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Andy Jordon is the one to watch this weekend. He was unlucky (thanks to JP. . . oooops sorry) at Brands and he showed good pace in the new Civic. Also he seemed to go well here last year.

On the other hand I am hoping we get another shock Pole position this weekend like we did a Brands. (Come on Tony Hughes!)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3058874)   #13
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Thorney Motorsport arrived at the track, at their allocated time, on Thursday, Garage 6 i think. Which would suggest they are taking part!
Then I stand gladly corrected! Thanks you sir, and redshoes, for that. Hope he has a better weekend (and keeps the yellow wheels on) this time.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3058877)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Jackson fastest in 1st practice:
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7433
Old 14 Apr 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3058957)   #15
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but this is utter bull the MG that quick with full ballast, not too much of a fix.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3058961)   #16
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
Sorry but this is utter bull the MG that quick with full ballast, not too much of a fix.
So no matter what happens, if Plato's fastest, it must be a fix?! Chevy is clearly paying the FiA as well to be able to run away in the WTCC...
Old 14 Apr 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3058965)   #17
trebor901
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
So no matter what happens, if Plato's fastest, it must be a fix?! Chevy is clearly paying the FiA as well to be able to run away in the WTCC...
Well TOCA say they spent all that time working out what the boost should be on certain cars and it was clearly money wasted because whoever done it is clearly crap at their job because it hasnt worked, if a car with full ballast on can still go that quick

Last edited by trebor901; 14 Apr 2012 at 15:03.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3058966)   #18
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone got the qualifying times?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3058980)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
anyone got the qualifying times?
Here
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3058981)   #20
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Thanks
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3058989)   #21
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
Well TOCA say they spent all that time working out what the boost should be on certain cars and it was clearly money wasted because whoever done it is clearly crap at their job because it hasnt worked, if a car with full ballast on can still go that quick
Hmm. Where does Mr Neate fit in to this conspiracy? Shouldn't he have been up amongst the front runners at Brands?
Also, it's not like he was ten seconds clear. Half a tenth of a second, and remember that most of the session was conducted with light but increasing rain, so there's no way to know if any of the other non-'fixed' cars would have gone quicker.

On the subject of Neate, why didn't he set a time?
Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3058991)   #22
trebor901
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Hmm. Where does Mr Neate fit in to this conspiracy? Shouldn't he have been up amongst the front runners at Brands?
Also, it's not like he was ten seconds clear. Half a tenth of a second, and remember that most of the session was conducted with light but increasing rain, so there's no way to know if any of the other non-'fixed' cars would have gone quicker.

On the subject of Neate, why didn't he set a time?
yes .05 quicker than a car with no ballast
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3058997)   #23
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
isn't ballast meant to make it harder to win but not make it impossible.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3059004)   #24
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
They've tweeted they won't be racing tomorrow as "too many issues" to sort out.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3059005)   #25
mig
Racer

England
Kent where the hops and Hondas are from
mig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are all the cars running the same boost and if not why not.Surely if one engine builder builds a better package then the others then they should pull their fingers out. i think once you start limiting boost for one but not anoter it becomes a can of worms.