Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 May 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3822636)   #376
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not quite sure where to put this, but Guy Smith after this weekend will semi-retire from racing. He'll no longer be a full time Bentley factory driver, but will still do testing and development, and will now mainly lead factory support programs for customer teams.

Story on SC365 and DSC.
Great career and nice to see him continue on with the brand.

South African Jordan Lee Pepper will be taking his seat post Silverstone, interested to see how he will show after his work wit Abt last year.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:55 (Ref:3822660)   #377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
2018 Blancpain GT Series

Well we’ll never forget his great victory at Le Mans in 2003. I’m not expecting fireworks from his replacement, but we’ll see
Old 16 May 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3822728)   #378
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not quite sure where to put this, but Guy Smith after this weekend will semi-retire from racing. He'll no longer be a full time Bentley factory driver, but will still do testing and development, and will now mainly lead factory support programs for customer teams.

Story on SC365 and DSC.
Thats a fair surprise. Whenever I think of Bentley Motorsport I think of Guy Smith and vice versa-good to see he's not stepping down altogether and is still working within the team in another role.
Old 18 May 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3823271)   #379
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Castrol Honda Racing will enter a PRO class NSX for Spa 24.
Old 18 May 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3823290)   #380
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Castrol Honda Racing will enter a PRO class NSX for Spa 24.
If that livery stays as per the picture it will win a whole load of fans.....
Old 19 May 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3823373)   #381
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Great career and nice to see him continue on with the brand.

South African Jordan Lee Pepper will be taking his seat post Silverstone, interested to see how he will show after his work wit Abt last year.

Pepper talks about the call up and more
http://gt-place.com/2018/05/18/im-ge...jordan-pepper/ (English version below)
Old 19 May 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3823408)   #382
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Surprised to see it be Pepper rather than Seb Morris, but good luck to him; big shoes to fill!
Old 19 May 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3823427)   #383
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What happened to Michael Broniszewski at Monza, it was mentioned he suffered injuries but i cant remember seeing anything.
Old 19 May 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3823430)   #384
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Did anyone notice ROWE Racing has switched around its new lineups with John Edwards, Ricky Collard and Nick Yelloly in the No. 98 BMW M6 GT3 and Jens Klingmann, Connor De Phillippi and Jesse Krohn in the No. 99 car?
Old 19 May 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3823463)   #385
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
What happened to Michael Broniszewski at Monza, it was mentioned he suffered injuries but i cant remember seeing anything.
He fell over in the paddock and badly injured his hand.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3823531)   #386
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a great day at Silverstone for the Free practice on Saturday, its great to see those cars stretch their legs and run. Compared to Brands Hatch a few weeks ago there were almost no spectators there, only the "hardcore" fans. Had a brief walk round the paddock and there are a lot of series who should take a look at what SRO do, its so open and relaxed and all the teams don't mind you having a look in which is how it should be.

Anyway here my vid from the days action if anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/LQjltO1v3rk
Old 20 May 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3823542)   #387
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The #76 pole sitting Aston Martin received a penalty after qualifying for not having any data in the data logger after the session. The team appealed so are racing under protest.

https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/...-regulations.-

#90 Mercedes changed car after qualifying due to an engine issue, they felt it was quicker to swap cars rather than engines. They will have a stop go penalty.

Last edited by tux; 20 May 2018 at 13:59.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3823572)   #388
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Had a great day at Silverstone for the Free practice on Saturday, its great to see those cars stretch their legs and run. Compared to Brands Hatch a few weeks ago there were almost no spectators there, only the "hardcore" fans. Had a brief walk round the paddock and there are a lot of series who should take a look at what SRO do, its so open and relaxed and all the teams don't mind you having a look in which is how it should be.

Anyway here my vid from the days action if anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/LQjltO1v3rk
I also attended yesterday, and I agree with you, it's one of my favourite events to attend. Shame about the attendance numbers. In a way it's nice to have the place to yourself but it's also disappointing for the series. There's an article on DSC which mentions that if attendance numbers aren't better today then the race might be under threat in the future. I can't understand how the F1 attracts 300,000 people each year. Where do these people disappear to for the rest of the year? More expensive, no paddock access, can't move seats on race day. It's beggars belief.
Old 20 May 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3823584)   #389
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0U170NS View Post
I also attended yesterday, and I agree with you, it's one of my favourite events to attend. Shame about the attendance numbers. In a way it's nice to have the place to yourself but it's also disappointing for the series. There's an article on DSC which mentions that if attendance numbers aren't better today then the race might be under threat in the future. I can't understand how the F1 attracts 300,000 people each year. Where do these people disappear to for the rest of the year? More expensive, no paddock access, can't move seats on race day. It's beggars belief.
I would suggest part of it is that the way GT3 racing is going, it's more about iconic races and less about championships. Silverstone is just another round of the championship. Let's be honest, Blancpain is Spa 24 hours, and a lot of other lesser stuff. Even as someone who loves Spa 24, and GT3, the sheer volume of SRO gets tedious / confusing at times, it's over saturation.

As for Silverstone, personally, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, I find is a pretty souless and boring place to watch racing. Compared to Spa, or somewhere like Brands, it's boring and corporate and not a spectator friendly venue.
Old 20 May 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3823593)   #390
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Silverstone, personally, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, I find is a pretty souless and boring place to watch racing. Compared to Spa, or somewhere like Brands, it's boring and corporate and not a spectator friendly venue.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you ........

I grew up with the F1 GP alternating between BH and Silverstone and used to hate the years where it was based at that big old bomber base ......... but times change and we have to realise that the smaller 'real' circuits like BH just cannot safely contain the fastest cars of today.

But, I also agree that Spa just does it so much better! Went to the 24 hrs two years ago and other that Le Mans, there really isn't a better race to go to - great access, friendly stewards, almost unlimted photo opportunities - just a brilliant place to watch REAL racing drivers!

Silverstone is not designed for spectators or photographers at all and actually they really would rather you were not there at all! They make it as difficult as possible to take photos even if you have serious kit which I am fortunate enough to own ................... BH used to be great - until this year! The GP loop is now a waste of time due to the 'DTM' fences although it did mean that for the BP sprint two weeks ago I did manage to find a few places that I hadn't tried before.

Just a small antidote from the Spa 24 hrs two years ago ................ on the Thursday evening practice, I was in the paddock overlooking the exit from La Source and found a guy with full on climbing gear anchored to the top of the debris fencing, taking pictures over the top of the fence and no one batting an eye lid! In the UK he wouldn't have even got in with that much rope!

Also on the Tuesday afternoon when the Bronze driver test was still going on and other teams were completing scrutineering, we are walking up and down the live pit lane ......allowed because we were keeping out of the way and talking to all the teams - just brilliant!

Going again this year, as I cannot think of any where else that can produce this sort of atmosphere where everybody is welcome.

Spectators are welcomed and encouraged - take note Silverstone!
Old 20 May 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3823602)   #391
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Can't even watch the race in the US. Live timing on their site doesn't even work. Sure wish it were easier to follow.
Old 20 May 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3823604)   #392
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Can't even watch the race in the US. Live timing on their site doesn't even work. Sure wish it were easier to follow.
I've seen reports that the NISMO TV version of the stream sometimes works in the US, whilst GT World is always blocked. Might not work, but worth a try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vXiE_53iQ
Old 20 May 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3823616)   #393
Bcarr6
Veteran

Great day at Silverstone today, I have to disagree with the naysayers on here. The venue provides some really nice opportunities to see the cars, and sure the landscape isn’t as exciting but I go every year to look at the cars not the scenery.

Anyone who doesn’t enjoy 50 GT3s bombing round Silverstone needs to think about whether the sport is right for them.

It’s not on my top list of circuits but I’m pleased to have a Uk round of Blancpain endurance and would rather it there than not at all.

In addition to the good on track action there was great access as always with SRO to paddock, pits, grid walk, etc
Old 20 May 2018, 20:59 (Ref:3823623)   #394
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Great day at Silverstone today, I have to disagree with the naysayers on here. The venue provides some really nice opportunities to see the cars, and sure the landscape isn’t as exciting but I go every year to look at the cars not the scenery.

Anyone who doesn’t enjoy 50 GT3s bombing round Silverstone needs to think about whether the sport is right for them.

It’s not on my top list of circuits but I’m pleased to have a Uk round of Blancpain endurance and would rather it there than not at all.

In addition to the good on track action there was great access as always with SRO to paddock, pits, grid walk, etc
It's a lot more than the landscape, it's things like grandstand access, and photography opportunities. Compared to other circuits, the viewing experience isn't great.

I would suggest it is nothing to do with "Anyone who doesn’t enjoy 50 GT3s bombing round Silverstone needs to think about whether the sport is right for them." I love the sport as much as anyone else, but Silverstone has been clinging on based on its reputation for far too long, rather than the product it is proving. It isn't a Blancpain issue, WEC at Silverstone has the same problems.

Blancpain should be an easy sell to the UK. The fact the on track product is good, yet it isn't selling tickets suggests the problem is something else, I would suggest Silverstone is a big part of it.
Old 20 May 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3823634)   #395
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I've seen reports that the NISMO TV version of the stream sometimes works in the US, whilst GT World is always blocked. Might not work, but worth a try -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vXiE_53iQ
Nope, but thanks anyway. Geoblocked like the rest of the streams.
Old 20 May 2018, 23:26 (Ref:3823664)   #396
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bit too long for me to watch at this time of night
Old 21 May 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3823693)   #397
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So Aston was very quick. Tge 76 car dominated. Haven't seen that sort of difference for a while.

Is this a combo of R Motorsport/JOTA developments combined witb a more generous BOP? After all it's quite an old car.

Mega move by Martin in the 62 to get Buurman on the last lap into Stowe which was missed by messrs Jones and Watson
Old 21 May 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3823698)   #398
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
So Aston was very quick. Tge 76 car dominated. Haven't seen that sort of difference for a while.

Is this a combo of R Motorsport/JOTA developments combined witb a more generous BOP? After all it's quite an old car.

Mega move by Martin in the 62 to get Buurman on the last lap into Stowe which was missed by messrs Jones and Watson

Not sure it was a bop advantage as the Mercedes stuck solid to the 76 for the first 2/3Rds of the race. Maybe just well suited to the track

Car age in theory shouldn’t matter in a bop formula
Old 21 May 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3823706)   #399
S griffin
Veteran

I think it would be good to see what difference BOP made. Some cars are better than others anyway. Some cars are still good with age
Old 21 May 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3823724)   #400
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
50 GT3 cars (hell, even 10 GT3 cars) bombing round a circuit is a fantastic sight (and sound)...

Quote:
...but Silverstone is still the most soulless circuit in the UK.

Despite my massive displeasure with what has happened at Brands, there is more character in one corner of Brands than there is in the entire of Silverstone...

Quote:
...that said, this is a fair point. Blancpain is one of my favourite current race Championships as it's great it makes two stops in the UK.