Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 12 Aug 2002, 08:44 (Ref:355819)   #1
nevpugh
Rookie

nevpugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vehicle requirements for track days ?

Hi there, I want to start tracking and I was thinking of starting off fairly cheaply as a "taster", before I start spending lots of money on a decent track car.

I was thinking along the lines of a 205GTi 1.9, stripped out, roll cage, and a few cheap mods to improve the braking and suspension. A nice and cheap car that could be prepared for sub 1.5k gbp (and would also fit in my small garage !)

However, the problem I'm coming across is one of insurance .... I'd only need 3rd party / ltd miles insurance, but the quotes I'm getting are bonkers ! More than the value of the car ! (I'm 34 with clean licence etc)

I'm still looking, but my question is, what's the legal requirements on track days ? Does the car have to be MOT'd and Taxed ? I'm thinking it would be cheaper to buy a towing dolly and not have the 205 road legal (it would only be used for track days) .... but will I be allowed on track with no tax / road insurance ???

Thanks !
Old 16 Aug 2002, 09:17 (Ref:358911)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I visted Goodwood recenty and you are right, there was a guy there with an old Renault 5 Turbo, may have been an ex race car, this thing went like a rocket.
No way was the car road legal and a trailor was needed.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:358936)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You should give some of the organising clubs a ring and see. I seem to remember having to show an MOT certificate at one. After all there is no scrutineering so it may be an easy way to check if the car is road worthy?

There also may be a difference between a track day and a test day.

There are things like insurance to consider and trying to get cars of similar performance, so some clubs might specify that you need an MOT.

However, like Nordic, I have certainly been at a track/test day that had cars that were clearly not road legal.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 11:42 (Ref:358986)   #4
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A friend of mine does alot of Bike track days, No MOT is needed for them, just have to pass a noise test.
There is I am sure a differance between a club, like the Jag or RS owners etc where a Valid MOT is needed and an open track day, where a more open policy is applied.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 15:26 (Ref:361329)   #5
Mark Benson
Rookie

Mark Benson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It varies from track to track, company to company.
Most airfield sites simply want your car to conform to noise regulations and not be a competition car (invalidates their insurance aparrently). Some race circuits require the car to be capable of passing an MOT and some require a certificate (though very few - I've never been asked).

I don't think you'll be short of trackdays if you get a car which isn't Taxed and Tested, there are plenty of Seven replicas turning up on trailers at track days, many of which have never been on the road.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 10:19 (Ref:378613)   #6
Robert XR4x4
Rookie

Robert XR4x4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the days I have been on with BookaTrack, EasyTrack and TrackSense never require tax and mot (though it is a good idea to still have the car mot'd now and then to make sure all is well!) BUT I am sure I have heard you have to have tax to use a towing dolly as two wheels are on the road, I may well be wrong though.

Have you tried Adrian Flux for insurance?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 14:25 (Ref:384171)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another good place for insurance is Eggar Lawson/Competition Car Insurance, they did me a good price for my hillclimb Mini, they don't mind what mods you've done (inc cage) and you can have upto 5 drivers for no extra cost.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 21:14 (Ref:385558)   #8
DJ Kat
Rookie

DJ Kat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track days I've so far done have required the car to have MOT and tax. Also requirements for yourself of a helmet and long sleeves / arms. I don't know if all track days are the same - I've only ever done the ones for the Minis... and they're such a laugh Check with the organisers of the track days for the requirements beforehand.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 21:15 (Ref:385560)   #9
DJ Kat
Rookie

DJ Kat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of, I forgot - there is a noise regulation thing at Castle Combe too (but don't know if this is for all makes but it is for ours)
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:56 (Ref:387334)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I wanted to go to a track day just to see what it was all about, can you use your run-of-the-mill road car? Or is there a minimum spec in terms of the car's performance?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 07:55 (Ref:387874)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These days it's becoming more popular to rent a car.
A car like your Pug idea would cost about £300 per day to rent inc fuel, tyres, etc. etc. Maybe a bit more with an engineer for you.
This sounds a lot to start but think.
You don't have to own the car.
You don't have to get the car to and from the track.
You don't have to store the car.
You don't have tyo insure, tax and MOT the car.
You don't have to pay for the fuel and tyres which is a big expense.
Go out, say, 6 times a car fro a couple of grand (plus tracktime costs).
In my experience, a car like that suggested would costs ignificantly more than £1.5k to do PROPERLY and don't assume low running costs - they won't be - especially with an old banger!!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:38 (Ref:388044)   #12
Robert XR4x4
Rookie

Robert XR4x4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In my experience, a car like that suggested would costs ignificantly more than £1.5k to do PROPERLY and don't assume low running costs - they won't be - especially with an old banger!!
our XR4x4 cost just over £2000 to buy, tax & mot, prepare for the track by upgraded brakes & fluid, wheels&tyres, suspension, oil cooler, poly bushes, service, gear oils, exhaust etc etc

I have also calculated the cost of brakes and tyres and it costs us £64 per event on average plus £42 for track fuel, so about an extra £106 per event, and that is the average from about 20 track days .... the pug should be a little cheaper on fuel, brakes and tyes as it weighs less

The only problems we have had was a wheel bearing collapsed and the alternator packed up and, touch wood, the car has covered about 15,000 miles and over 20 track days without any other problems

also you can use any car you want on a track day and go as slow as you like, so long as you keep an eye on your mirrors no one will care how fast you go! There are always standard cars at track days, the only thing I'd suggest is replace your brakes pads with something like mintex 1144's to stop brake fade.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 06:18 (Ref:504073)   #13
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My competition car has cost me well under $1000 (including purchase price, engine, spares, tyres). This is for five years worth of fun Less than $200 a year. I know guys who drink more than that on a Sat night.

I mainly run on dirt, and I am not serious enough to use new tyres every event. This, and doing all of the work ourselves keeps the costs down.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 09:03 (Ref:626855)   #14
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a trackday but essentially the same deal, the Nurburgring requires "street legal" cars and has a noise limit. No additional safety requirements.

As it is technically a public road, insurance is still in effect which comes in handy. Fly in and rent a car or bring your own.

You really have to try it out. I live close enough and manage to get out once or twice a week.