Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3801962)   #2276
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Both drivers had their finance in place.

Precisely the point I was making.
Jackson's finance was in place - but the level of finance was not enough to fund the running of the car in its own right, it was reliant on other funding for the team.

He's not the only driver in this situation, and I'm not trying to be critical of him. Merely pointing out that this is not the first time that Jackson has been contracted to drive for Motorbase - and then found himself not being in the car for R1.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3801964)   #2277
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
You don't seriously believe that?
Why not, my wife left me because I enquirer about a relationship with another woman behind her back
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3801966)   #2278
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Jackson's finance was in place - but the level of finance was not enough to fund the running of the car in its own right, it was reliant on other funding for the team.

He's not the only driver in this situation, and I'm not trying to be critical of him. Merely pointing out that this is not the first time that Jackson has been contracted to drive for Motorbase - and then found himself not being in the car for R1.
The level of funding DB required from his drivers was met, no different to any other driver paying for a drive with a Team that also supplies It's own sponsorship. Jackson had met his commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson had to reduce their financial commitment on account of sponsors only getting half a seasons exposure.
The year Jackson got the call on media day, DB had another driver ready to be announced for the seat who was bringing more money to the team. That was until it was found some of that funding couldn't be made up front or during the season and was based purely on a speculation of sales after the BTCC season had finished. MJ got the call and had to increase his financial commitment to the team by reducing his "wage" that he normally takes from his sponsorship.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3801969)   #2279
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Why not, my wife left me because I enquirer about a relationship with another woman behind her back
Guess it depends if you had gone as far as having a good look at the bodywork during a shakedown at a secret venue
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:06 (Ref:3801970)   #2280
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The level of funding DB required from his drivers was met, no different to any other driver paying for a drive with a Team that also supplies It's own sponsorship. Jackson had met his commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson had to reduce their financial commitment on account of sponsors only getting half a seasons exposure.
I notice that nobody is ever critical of James Cole's sponsorship efforts for that season, I agree the sponsorship isnt just from the driver, James and Mat bough an amount to the pot and the team were due to provide the rest but that fell through.
I think most drivers would struggle going cap in hand to their personal sponsors and asking triple the amount because the team failed to do a deal on time.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3801972)   #2281
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

Taking out Andrew Jordan with Pirtek, and just maybe Jason Plato, im not sure there are many drivers whos personal sponsorship would fund running a car in its own right let alone the team, without the team having its own backing through manufacturer or its own sponsorship/contributions in place

That would also be a REALLY bad business model for a team to run.

I think we need to be clear that Jackson leaving Motorbase is probably not sponsorship related considering they have had a title sponsor in place (i.e. do not compare this to 2015), this is clearly relating to something thats happened between the parties since the announcement

Last edited by btccbloke; 17 Feb 2018 at 10:20.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3801974)   #2282
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I notice that nobody is ever critical of James Cole's sponsorship efforts for that season, I agree the sponsorship isnt just from the driver, James and Mat bough an amount to the pot and the team were due to provide the rest but that fell through.
I think most drivers would struggle going cap in hand to their personal sponsors and asking triple the amount because the team failed to do a deal on time.
Exactly
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3801975)   #2283
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Ok so my final prediction for these 5 seats:

BMR - Cole
Parker - Jelley
Motorbase - Depper
MG1 - AWE
MG2 - Lee Mowle

that will be it and we can all calm down!
Top two are known unknowns... Parker will be confirmed on Monday. Don't know about BMR announcement timescale.

Depper would seem a decent shout. Competent rather than stellar, a clean respectful driver and likely to have suitable funds.

AWE has been (and generally is) quiet; the MG is another good call. I'm sure Shaun would want him in one of his cars if the funds stack up.

Someone else already posted Lee Mowle is running in GT.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3801978)   #2284
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Actually, Depper filling the Motorbase role, may not be so straight forward, remember Mat is/was also sponsored by Martin Deppers own E-Spares group so it may depend how strained the relationship became and how much E-Spares were backing Mat to try to go to Honda
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3801979)   #2285
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Top two are known unknowns... Parker will be confirmed on Monday.
Well, Parker are definitely making an announcement on Monday and Matt Salisbury said Stephen Jelley is doing the same so putting 2+2 together, it feels like a definite ‘4’ that the announcements are one and the same.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3801982)   #2286
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok so my final prediction for these 5 seats:

BMR - Cole
Parker - Jelley
Motorbase - Depper
MG1 - AWE
MG2 - Lee Mowle

that will be it and we can all calm down!
May as well have a try...

BMR Subaru - Cole
TPR BMW - Jelley
Motorbase Ford - AWE, or more realistically, Davenport
AmD MG - Butcher
AmD MG - Nathan Harrison (came close a drive last year I believe, and would fit with the rookies in the MG rumours. Not sure if he's got a drive in another series though)
Old 17 Feb 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3801983)   #2287
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The year Jackson got the call on media day, DB had another driver ready to be announced for the seat who was bringing more money to the team. That was until it was found some of that funding couldn't be made up front or during the season and was based purely on a speculation of sales after the BTCC season had finished. MJ got the call and had to increase his financial commitment to the team by reducing his "wage" that he normally takes from his sponsorship.
There is a bit of a worrying trend developing at Motorbase though:

Announce their new engine - withdraw from a portion of the season.

Announce Jordan/Pirtek partnership- eject Jordan due to sponsorship clash.

Announce Jackson- eject Jackson for reason TBC.

Announce delivery of TCR cars - withdraw from running them.

I think there is still a lot connected to sponsorship going on behind the scenes. Jordan couldn't have a 3rd car in Pirtek livery, but Tordoff can?
Jackson's sponsors were on all 3 cars, but then removed before Jackson parted company?

There must be a reason for removing Jackson's sponsorship from the team's official press release - which was published before they'd parted company?
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3801988)   #2288
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Quote:
Guess it depends if you had gone as far as having a good look at the bodywork during a shakedown at a secret venue
Best bits of the internet.......
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3801989)   #2289
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
It wouldn't surprise me if this goes legal; that there had been a falling out is obvious; a contract may well have been breached and financial recompense be due.

Possibly Motorbase dropped Jacksons name from communications and his personal sponsor from cars knowing or expecting a jumped ship.

Circumstantial evidence would suggest Dynamics was on and then off; I had heard a driver was signed (but wasn't told who) and then very soon after that the seat was vacant.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3801991)   #2290
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, Depper filling the Motorbase role, may not be so straight forward, remember Mat is/was also sponsored by Martin Deppers own E-Spares group so it may depend how strained the relationship became and how much E-Spares were backing Mat to try to go to Honda
E-spares sponsorship is also on Chilton's car, nothing to suggest they are Jackson's personal sponsor.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3801992)   #2291
RS67
Veteran

Quote:

Announce Jordan/Pirtek partnership- eject Jordan due to sponsorship clash.

I think there is still a lot connected to sponsorship going on behind the scenes. Jordan couldn't have a 3rd car in Pirtek livery, but Tordoff can?
Jackson's sponsors were on all 3 cars, but then removed before Jackson parted company?
There was no sponsorship clash, had an agreement been made, he would still have competed in his Pirtek livery.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3801994)   #2292
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
E-spares sponsorship is also on Chilton's car, nothing to suggest they are Jackson's personal sponsor.
Depper is a director of e-spares.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3801995)   #2293
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Depper is a director of e-spares.
I am aware of that. It still doesn't mean they were a personal sponsor of Jackson's.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3802000)   #2294
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am aware of that. It still doesn't mean they were a personal sponsor of Jackson's.
I never said they were. You've not posted anything to indicate that you were aware of Deppers business connections. Anyway, you're having a go at the wrong person.

Depper drove for Motorbase last season so the connection is obvious. e-spares also sponsored Eurotech when he drove for them.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3802001)   #2295
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
May as well have a try...

BMR Subaru - Cole
TPR BMW - Jelley
Motorbase Ford - AWE, or more realistically, Davenport
AmD MG - Butcher
AmD MG - Nathan Harrison (came close a drive last year I believe, and would fit with the rookies in the MG rumours. Not sure if he's got a drive in another series though)
Nathan Harrison is confirmed on the Mini’s for this year, so assume he’s given up on trying to get a BTCC deal.

I’d of thought Butcher was more likely to replace Jackson at Motorbase.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3802004)   #2296
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
I never said they were. You've not posted anything to indicate that you were aware of Deppers business connections. Anyway, you're having a go at the wrong person.

Depper drove for Motorbase last season so the connection is obvious. e-spares also sponsored Eurotech when he drove for them.
E-Spares sponsorship was also on the Focus in 2016. Deppers business connection to E-Spares would be of no consequence to if Jackson had been trying for the Dynamics seat, if they were a Team sponsor, so there wasn't much point in mentioning Deppers affiliation to E-Spares.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3802005)   #2297
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
There was no sponsorship clash, had an agreement been made, he would still have competed in his Pirtek livery.
It was officially described as 'commercial reasons', based on Pirtek's requirements.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3802007)   #2298
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
It was officially described as 'commercial reasons', based on Pirtek's requirements.
Which could be a euphemism for pretty much anything. Likely the only people that know will never tell; highly likely a non-disclosure agreement in place.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3802008)   #2299
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put money on Max Coates in an AmD MG...
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3802009)   #2300
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Which could be a euphemism for pretty much anything. Likely the only people that know will never tell; highly likely a non-disclosure agreement in place.
Doesn't commercial refer to advertising or sponsorship though? Hence the reason an advertisement on TV is also called a commercial.

'Any deal I do has to be one that works commercially for my sponsors and there were certain things me and my sponsors needed from it, and certain things that the team needed.'

If that statement doesn't confirm that it was a sponsorship situation that cause Jordan and Motorbase to part ways, I'm not sure what could.