Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 31 May 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1925711)   #176
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have a Mercedes A160 Elegance to get me from A to B, used to have a Mercedes 560 SEC until it decided to take a trip to the local police station via trees, boulders and burst into flames! I loved that car, it was my pride and joy.

Before Tim Falce says anything, I was knocked unconscious before I could do anything and I am innocent until proven guilty. Mercedes from that era were prone to sudden acceleration and there was even a fatality in the US!

Here it is in the recovery yard:

Lucky to be alive!

Last edited by rcarr; 31 May 2007 at 21:55.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1931720)   #177
abrussich
Rookie

United States
Houston, Texas
abrussich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo, 2005 Lotus Elise 111R.
Sorry no photos allowed for the new guy.
I also campign a 1968 Lotus Type 61 and occasionally get to play in a 1972 lotus Type 69.
For chuckles and grins or for the once in a blue moon occasion when the Loti are out of comission I have a 1997 Ducati 900SS/SP and a somewhat modified Ducati Monster M900S.
If all else fails I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, primarily used to carry parts for the above listed toys.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1931977)   #178
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrussich
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo, 2005 Lotus Elise 111R.
Sorry no photos allowed for the new guy.
I also campign a 1968 Lotus Type 61 and occasionally get to play in a 1972 lotus Type 69.
For chuckles and grins or for the once in a blue moon occasion when the Loti are out of comission I have a 1997 Ducati 900SS/SP and a somewhat modified Ducati Monster M900S.
If all else fails I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, primarily used to carry parts for the above listed toys.
Host your pictures somewhere like photobucket. Then you can post them.
Added benifit is you can post the same picture in different threds, but attachments can only be posted once (on most forums anyway)
Old 8 Jun 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1932365)   #179
Sonic rescue
Rookie

Ireland
West Mids
Sonic rescue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did drive untill recently a frontera sports, untill someone totalled it for me, so I brought a citroen 1.4 just to run about in and try to save some money tax for 4*4 and insurance and all that............but the insurance on a 1.4 is more than the frontera. Go figure.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1933224)   #180
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ex-BiB Vauxhall Omega MV6 Estate 197,000miles and converted to LPG, or a 2-seater Mercedes in white. Then there's my little motorhome which was used to two my race car(s) (1990 Fleetwood Cambria, Chevy BB, 33ft long, soon to be for sale).
Old 3 Aug 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1980104)   #181
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A humble 1996 Fiat Uno S (that S must be for simple), 1.4L carburator engine and 75HP, wich can take me up to 175Kph (a very dangerous condition, because its a basically unstable car, parcially solved with increased negative rear end camber and some brake modifications)
It has good acceleration (for a bean can) as it weights no more than 800Kg.
Its mileage is 15Km / Litre.
Now im planing to buy a maybe 2002-2004 VW Gol or Fiat Palio (thas what my budget can buy).

My future cars, definitively will be a 1977 Dodge GTX V8 or a 1982 Torino-Tornado 6cylinders (for weekends) and a 1995 Subaru Impreza Turbo for the rest of the week.

I like some old cars!
Old 18 Aug 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1991408)   #182
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suppose I should mention my wheels at some point.

After test driving a selection of the diesel range hatchbacks (Peugeot 307 1.6 HDi [110 BHP], Peugeot 207 1.6 HDi [90 BHP], Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, SEAT Leon 1.9TDi, Astra Sport Hatch 1.7CDi SXi, Toyota Auris T-Spirit 2.0 D-4D, Mazda 3 1.6D TS)...

I went with the SEAT Leon 1.9 TDI (Stylance trim) and have had it for a over month now. A lovely car.

The looks (IMO obviously) were great, and compared to the others it just felt right, it has loads of hi-tech features to give it an extra wow factor on top of the great VW 1.9 TDI engine mileage and sleek looks.

A very close 2nd was the Mazda 3 which is very similar in most ways, and I'd put the Astra 3rd, let down mostly by it's ugliness and lack of features.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1992849)   #183
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 mainly for towing me caravan to circuits
Old 28 Aug 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1998346)   #184
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right, I've had my latest car a couple of months so I thought I'd do a quick post.

My previous car - a 1.4 Peugeot 205- broke down and was then stolen (in that order, I don't understand it either!). After several months of waiting I finally got hold of a late BMW E30 325iSE.

I must say I'm enjoying it imensely at the moment, although I realise that it may cost quite a bit to run in the future. It's not got a standard exhaust (couldn't get one), so it sounds nice. The only problems are that: 1. It drinks a lot of petrol; 2 I occassionally drive it too fast - it gets going rather quicker than my old Peugeot used to!

It doesn't look particularly obvious either, which I quite like, although some of my colleagues think it's an old mans' car (and I'm 25)! What do people think - are E30s 'old men' cars?

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Aug 2007 at 15:13. Reason: Small change requested by poster!
Old 28 Aug 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1998454)   #185
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thought i'd do a follow up post too. 3 years after acquiring it, i'm still driving a bmw 320td, it's now 5 years old, and it's absolutely unstoppable. it now has 103,500 miles and ok, it sounds a little like a lorry on startup (you know you're in trouble when you come up to the dartford toll, and the person in the booth reaches up, expecting a truck..), but nothing has gone wrong, and the only thing in need of sorting is the dry bearings (no, they're still not fixed yet).

so much car for the money! definitely recommended. nothing has needed replacing except a couple of quids worth of oil valve. superb.

(i don't think bmws are old man's cars, but that's because i also drive one and i know how excellent they are! the 2.5 petrol engine is superb too)
Old 28 Aug 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1998463)   #186
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An E30 325 is a top motor. My ex-house mate has an E30 318 Touring that's in fairly good condition and doesn't look like an 18yr old car.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 15:50 (Ref:2000931)   #187
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
Right, I've had my latest car a couple of months so I thought I'd do a quick post.

My previous car - a 1.4 Peugeot 205- broke down and was then stolen (in that order, I don't understand it either!). After several months of waiting I finally got hold of a late BMW E30 325iSE.

I must say I'm enjoying it imensely at the moment, although I realise that it may cost quite a bit to run in the future. It's not got a standard exhaust (couldn't get one), so it sounds nice. The only problems are that: 1. It drinks a lot of petrol; 2 I occassionally drive it too fast - it gets going rather quicker than my old Peugeot used to!

It doesn't look particularly obvious either, which I quite like, although some of my colleagues think it's an old mans' car (and I'm 25)! What do people think - are E30s 'old men' cars?
ooooo. E30 325 is one corker of a car, driven an E30 320 and it was really very very nice to drive and went quite well, but a 325 would just be fab, enjoy it, i would stick a straight exhaust pipe on it, 6 cylinder heaven in trms of noise
Old 31 Aug 2007, 22:19 (Ref:2001103)   #188
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're creepy when it comes to car noises, DJ.

I'm currently having a gander at Seat's and Ford Fiesta's and whatnot for my first car.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2003074)   #189
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
You're creepy when it comes to car noises, DJ.

I'm currently having a gander at Seat's and Ford Fiesta's and whatnot for my first car.
creepily good you mean .

if youre looking for a first car i would consider a peugeot 106, not a bad little motor or maybe despite the granny factor the toyota yaris, best friend has one and it's good to drive and very very comftorble and roomy, much more so than a 106 which is louder and more tinny but nicer to drive.

insurance is your main thing monkey like me, that's why im leaving getting a new car for another 2 year's until im 20 or 21, then i can indulge myself in a renault clio 182 or something quick, maybe even a BMW 325 compact, although ugly that is one brilliant car, comfy, fabulous handling and an even more fabulous noise and it goes like a rocket, just watch the fuel gauge though, thrash it and you will be £40 out of pocket for a tank fo fuel atleast!
Old 4 Sep 2007, 00:26 (Ref:2003166)   #190
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You want some serious fuel consumption? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT3_lHvqLNQ Half a litre in about 30 sec with the engine being fired up for the first time. Worth watching also for the flames coming out the headers!
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:47 (Ref:2003339)   #191
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
After several months of waiting I finally got hold of a late BMW E30 325iSE.

In Australia, a 3 series BMW is considered a ladies car.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 09:16 (Ref:2003367)   #192
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
...then i can indulge myself in a renault clio 182 or something quick, maybe even a BMW 325 compact, although ugly that is one brilliant car, comfy, fabulous handling and an even more fabulous noise and it goes like a rocket, just watch the fuel gauge though, thrash it and you will be £40 out of pocket for a tank fo fuel atleast!
don't get the 182. the engine is good, but it's still a clio, and when you're doing speeds the engine is comfortable with the car isn't. i wouldn't recommend buying one at all - motorway driving is just plain uncomfortable and the seating position doesn't suit either. great if you like your drives a bit like a rickshaw, but if you do any more than 3 minutes on a motorway it'll completely do your head in.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2003390)   #193
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I drove a new shape Clio in Ireland last week, and was tempted to try a 197... but no.

I'm going to look at an Alfa this afternoon.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2003398)   #194
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ive got a now increasingly elderly 2001 Lexus IS200 Sport in Aztec Fire..... With loadsa miles on the clock.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2003481)   #195
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
don't get the 182. the engine is good, but it's still a clio, and when you're doing speeds the engine is comfortable with the car isn't. i wouldn't recommend buying one at all - motorway driving is just plain uncomfortable and the seating position doesn't suit either. great if you like your drives a bit like a rickshaw, but if you do any more than 3 minutes on a motorway it'll completely do your head in.
Yeah I think that's fair for the old shape car, but the new shape is (and feels) a considerably larger car. I was worried about shaking about on longer journeys and motorways but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Mine's a 197 so is 'more stressed' accepted, but I know someone who's got a more standard car and they think it's good for the money. All boils down to budget at the end of the day.

Previous car was a 2001 Xsara VTS and that was a bit ricekty on a long drive but for the money I paid for it (£5k for 29T miles) I doubt i'll ever find such a good car ever again! Performance, reasonable insurance, mpg wasn't ridiculous. Obviously the guy who bought it new lost a shed load of money but an absolute second hand bargain as the depreciation didn't count anymore.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2003683)   #196
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it wasn't the size of the car, it was the workmanship on the actual car itself. bendy panels really didn't make for a good drive, and then when i got my grubby paws on the 3 series (a completely different kettle of fish, but i'd wager it was cheaper 2nd hand than a new 192/182, and the insurance group wouldn't be far off either) i couldn't believe how much effort the clio was to drive when it shouldn't be. then when you wanted it to give you a bit of abuse so you could give it some back, it didn't, and it did unexpected things.

most of all, i've never EVER forgiven my 172 for crapping out in damp conditions and making me spin on a roundabout in milton keynes. i was following a 3 series. that was one of the things that made me get a 3 series
Old 4 Sep 2007, 18:17 (Ref:2003758)   #197
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
well my brother has a clio 172, driven it and i really liked it, ok the seating position is not brilliant but it was really nice to drive, the best car i have driven is an old E30 320, everything was great, the driving position, the handling, the gearbox had a long throw but it was fun working through the gear's and the 4 pot beemer motor was not half bad!.

only thing with the old E30 was the brake's did feel a little sloppy and wooden but that could be sorted with a nice new pair of sport's brake's from someone such as AP racing or brembo.

car wise my next car will most likely be no more than £5,000 or £6,000, i wouldnt mind a toyota celica 190 either, they do look rather nice but im still for some reason attracted to old audi quattro 20v turbo's and lencia delta integrale's and mondeo ST200's.

in the end i will probably go for a mini cooper S or perhaps a new generation polo GTI, i would love an old E30 but its hard to find a one in good nick that has not been chavved up, same for a 106 GTI or a 306 GTI-6 which i would love.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2004314)   #198
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm currently looking at a few Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetecs, they seem like pretty good cars.
Although i'm currently trying to wade my way through the midst of chavved up Corsa's and Fiesta's etc... There's alot.

17 soon!
Old 5 Sep 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2004375)   #199
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
17?

Are you allowed out this late?

Old 5 Sep 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2004379)   #200
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My day to day transport is a Chrysler 300C with 5.7 Hemi engine. I can't fault it and dont regret buying it at all. It was an indulgent choice but what the heck.

I have also got a 1990 Mini Cooper, Kawasaki 800 motorbike and a 2002 Ford WRC liveried Ranger althought that hasn't turned a wheel for about 6 months.

The 300C and Cooper parked next to one another look like Laurel and Hardy.

Tim