Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Mar 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2414830)   #1
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Post Chief's Briefing

As someone who is currently upgrading to Post Chief, I wonder if people might assist by sharing what they feel is the top three pieces of advice that a Post Chief should give at his briefing - other than the standard 'be safe: you first, colleagues second, public third and driver last' and any day specific info which they have received at their own briefing.

I've got a crap memory and always forget something, so thought I'd collate everyone's responses into a little memory jogger!

Thanks all.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2414837)   #2
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
1. Your name - very helpful to people who haven't worked with you before.
2. A reminder of hand signals, and reassurance that you will return the hand signal to confirm you have received the message.
3. Offer your team the chance to ask their own questions.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2414870)   #3
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The I / O should ask peoples names if you dont know them already which people that have been doing it a while proberly do know, and should ask what experience people have and sort out teams what ever they would be determining experience and numbers on post.

One other thing that was said on the Sunday of BARC training at Thruxton is that maybe give the trainees a briefing on there own also, to get them involved and also what you would like them to do and not like them to do.

For trainees training days are good but marshalling is all about experiencing it on the bank.... i took a bloke called Steve to the test day on the 20th Feb and he is a keen spectator and he marshalled with me on that day, he throughly enjoyed his day and it got him his first feel of the speed etc involved... he then came to training day and he now has overalls and is doing his first meeting at Brands with me which is Trucks.

If there is an I / O on post which is usual for BARC events, well the ones i have been to anyway somebody should be made an I / O they should give most of the briefing, i feel it should mention that there are 3 safety's your own comes first then the drivers then the spectators or in some kind of order like that.

Next i think that maybe they should mention something my father says and that is that no body goes on circuit until the I / O says, i feel this a good way of working as the I / O then knows who is out and where people are, some people feel the I / O should be the first one on scene i dont feel this is the way it should be as the I / O's job is to manage there team and make sure of the safety of their team, now i must stress this is only my OPINION.

If there is a Manatu or any gravel and you have the numbers maybe get a few of you to intorduce your self to the driver of the JCB and learn what strops and how to put them on cars etc unless you already know.

But yes i agree with the other comments on here the first thing to stress is SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.

I look forward to seeing some of you this season in the campsite or on the banks.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2414874)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
From my limited experience doing briefings, the big thing I'd say is variation!

If you've got a small, experienced team; I don't think you'd need to say anything other than meeting specific stuff.
If you've got lots of trainees, a "full" briefing with everything you can think of is better.
If there's someone acting as IO, they can do most of the hard work for you.
etc etc

I've never used a checklist for any briefing I've given (be it motorsport or otherwise), but they always seem to go ok!
Old 13 Mar 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2414891)   #5
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell the team how they can help you by telling you of overtaking under yellows, bits dropping off, etc.. Remind them they need to be clear which number did what to who and where (and when, if possible).

If the weather is extreme remind people to keep warm if it's cold, or drink lots of water if it's hot and tell them that if they feel unwell to let you know.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2414894)   #6
Saucy
Rookie

England
Ynws Mon/Anglesey
Saucy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Briefing

As mentioned all above. Yes keep the briefing variable as to how experienced the crew are, and delegate the teams as to what is expected of them in there groups.
When you have trainee's then once they are paired with a more experienced marshal it may still be worth mentioning it is up to them to decide who has what role as the occasion never arises where you both attend an incident and not one has a bottle.
Safety as we know is paramount, yet fun is too and don't forget to ask them (Trainee's) what they may want to know. Its nice to come away having dealt with something as well as learned something.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2415086)   #7
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think you will have any problems with your Team briefing Gary..Having worked with you on many occasion at Brands....
Experience within the team
A reminder of hand signals, and reassurance that you will return the hand signal
I Always give trainees a briefing on there own.
I.Os - if you aint got one ask for a volunteer remember no one can be asked to do a role they dont wish to..
Safety first and foremost...
Old 13 Mar 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2415124)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just ask the team to give you a poke when something crashes!
Old 13 Mar 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2415161)   #9
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Find out if anybody has not been on that post before, and if so, explain what 'usually' happens - where cars go when ambition exceeds talent, where they can be put if they are not too broken to be pushed etc.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2415269)   #10
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Just ask the team to give you a poke when something crashes!
Don't get a chance to nod off Mark! You should know. Remember Silverstone 2 years ago? On a serious note, all Post Chiefs should aquaint themselves with their crew, assertain there experience and, along with the I/O discuss the deployment of the man-power available. Point out any features of the post they are on, safety measures etc. But make sure that every-one has an enjoyable day and a SAFE day.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2415275)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal_man View Post
For trainees training days are good but marshalling is all about experiencing it on the bank....
I know this is slightly off topic! Please don't shoot me.

Personally, I disagree with this. Yes we do get experience on the bank and it is invaluable. But we need training as much as experience.

Look at firefighters. They will train every day. (Now I'm not saying that we should train every day) and the training is continuous, in essence there is always something to learn. Once you say you have learnt it all then you start to get complacent which then means you could be a liability.

Right back on topic,

In my briefing I would talk to the whole group, introduce myself, and welcome them all and take down names. Am rubbish with them anyway! I would then ask how many have been to the circuit before and how many had marshalled the corner or post before.

I'd then mention(in no particular order) :-

* What the general plan of action is if we do have an incident.
* If the teams would like to swap points between sessions
* The program for that day also.
* Any specific points from Race Control (disabled drivers etc)
* If any snatch vehicles are available and roles etc.
* Then ask any questions if they need to.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2415287)   #12
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah the I/O's.......no such person anymore................?

(or so the new grading system would have us belive!)

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 14 Mar 2009, 01:26 (Ref:2415292)   #13
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
Ah the I/O's.......no such person anymore................?

(or so the new grading system would have us belive!)

http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co...eRaceJan08.pdf

i/o`s are on the grading system
Old 14 Mar 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2415349)   #14
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
I/Os are on the grade system But i have found some clubs dont use them......
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2415367)   #15
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are indeed right and here's me thinking we were classed as Experienced Marshals

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2415369)   #16
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
I think I/Os are getting rare these days..I only did 3 meetings last year with a grade I/O.....
Old 14 Mar 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2415590)   #17
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch View Post
As someone who is currently upgrading to Post Chief, I wonder if people might assist by sharing what they feel is the top three pieces of advice that a Post Chief should give at his briefing - other than the standard 'be safe: you first, colleagues second, public third and driver last' and any day specific info which they have received at their own briefing.

I've got a crap memory and always forget something, so thought I'd collate everyone's responses into a little memory jogger!

Thanks all.
Simple. Ask the I/O to do it, then sit back and look intelligent
Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2415981)   #18
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gary,

It will do you no harm at all to have a checklist handy of what subjects should be covered in all briefings. Personally, I try always to give the same briefing even if it's to an 'experienced' only crew, or even a single 'one to one' which is occurring more often these days.

If I have trainees, I find out how many meetings they've done, and if it's their first, I'll discuss with the observer if the trainee should spend the first couple of hours with them so he/she can give a running commentary on what's going on.

I assume that, in your line of work, you're OK with presentation skills, but the checklist always helps.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2415985)   #19
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My briefings are usually quite short as I have been fortunate to have very good IO's to do the groundwork for me.
I normally advise/update the team with any information passed to me from Race Control or the Chief Observer.

There have been times when the briefings from IO's appear to have gone a little pear-shaped and then I try to subtly (Me?-Ha!) put things back on track (NPI)
Old 15 Mar 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2416001)   #20
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a relative beginner (1 year experience) I've never had to give a briefing, but I've received plenty. The best briefings are those that are more of a dialogue with the team - if any trainees are present, how many meetings they've done and have they done fire training - for more experienced marshals, are they willing to hook up snatches, help with the flags, are they aware of any new rules, supplementary regs, etc. that apply to the meeting.

Also it's good when the briefing comes from the IO and post chief together, and is given to everyone on post - flag marshals, incident marshals and snatch/fire tender driver - at the same time.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2416184)   #21
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an 'X' Observer for the past 20 something years my Post Briefs are extreemly short (unlike me!)
1) Be safe
2) Enjoy
3) Always expect the unexpected in other words I wont have seen the incident and if I did I wouldn't have got the numbers!
Old 16 Mar 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2416471)   #22
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember the flaggies. If you've been told anything specific (safety cars, start procedures, etc.) don't assume the flaggies have been told. Usually, we haven't! If your circuit has any normal procedures and you don't recognise the flag marshal make sure s/he knows what "normal" is.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2417029)   #23
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And make sure anything you gleaned from the Post Chiefs' briefing by the Chief Post Chief before the meeting starts is included in anything you pass on - as in new Safety Car regulations etc
Old 18 Mar 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2418627)   #24
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Observer/Post Chief should be the one to authorize marshals on to the circuit. The I/O is the foreman, the observer the controlling manager.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2418663)   #25
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman View Post
The Observer/Post Chief should be the one to authorize marshals on to the circuit. The I/O is the foreman, the observer the controlling manager.
Not if you're at Sillystones