Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Nov 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2785376)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Historic Support Race Le Mans 2011

Motor Racing Legends has announced that cars eligible to compete at Le Mans from 1949-1965 will make up the grid for the historic support race at Le Mans next year (2011): Link

A 45 minute race is scheduled for the Saturday morning.
Old 5 Nov 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2785394)   #2
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Motor Racing Legends has announced that cars eligible to compete at Le Mans from 1949-1965 will make up the grid for the historic support race at Le Mans next year (2011): Link

A 45 minute race is scheduled for the Saturday morning.
Whilst I welcome any historic support race, I still long for this to be for cars from the period early Seventies through to the start of Group C - an era which has so far been ignored for this race. I'd love to see the turbo Renaults, the 935s and 936s, plus maybe a Matra or two and a T33.

I guess I should be grateful for any support race!
Old 5 Nov 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2785402)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Currently making my way through the Quentin Spurring Le Mans 60's book so it will be nice to see some of these cars in the flesh. Not going to lie, I'm with Le Vieux in that I wouldn't mind them being just a few years further on but I'm sure these will look and sound great.

Certainly going to be some expensive cars on show!
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2786304)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
There will be some interesting cars in the race, and at the classic this year they put on a good show, but like others I am a real group c fan and the support race is one of the few times these cars are allowed to show exactly what we all loved about them, so lets hope that they will return in 2012
Old 8 Nov 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2787171)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Group C's were pretty disappointing this year though, weren't they? (IMO). Time for a change.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2787172)   #6
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
The real disappointment was due to the unnatural amount of punctures that happened during the race... and a certain Mr. Berridge's incident at the start which removed the affectionately-named pet Tyrannosaurus (in Charles Dressing's words) from the race for the lead.

And I agree with Le Vieux, 1966-1981(-ish) is a period which is begging to be exploited for this event. When was the last time (if at all) these cars took center stage for the Legends race?
Old 8 Nov 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2787250)   #7
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do those cars exist (outside museums and collections) now? I am not aware of any series where they continue to race (unlike the early cars and Group C's.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2787307)   #8
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Do those cars exist (outside museums and collections) now? I am not aware of any series where they continue to race (unlike the early cars and Group C's.
There's lots of them (Porsche 936/Matra, etc) competing in the Classic Endurance Racing series that supports the LMS series.

But has Motor Sport legends got an exclusive contract with the ACO to run the support race each year, and if so for how long?
Old 9 Nov 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2787585)   #9
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Over 70 cars turned up for Grid 6 (1972/79) in this year's LM Classic and a similar number for Grid 5 (1966/71).
Old 9 Nov 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2787600)   #10
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Over 70 cars turned up for Grid 6 (1972/79) in this year's LM Classic and a similar number for Grid 5 (1966/71).
So the cars exist - why can't we have them in the support race for the 24hrs? It seems we only ever get the Group Cs or the immediately post-war selection. Are you listening ACO/Motor Racing Legends?
Old 9 Nov 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2787629)   #11
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
So the cars exist - why can't we have them in the support race for the 24hrs? It seems we only ever get the Group Cs or the immediately post-war selection. Are you listening ACO/Motor Racing Legends?
For me we could have each Year the Support Race with the Group C Cars .
Old 20 Nov 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2793388)   #12
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with Ayse that the Grp C race was disappointing this year, as a race. But the cars still looked and sounded great. I'm looking forward to seeing these older cars as well, and am now starting to get excited about my second Le Mans, which is only 203 days away.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2793771)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
To me the support race/races should be about enhancing the expectations for the main event, I love to see the cars of my youth so the 70's and 80's and even the early nineties are the cars that i want to see, but not just to see them but also hear them and remember what todays races lack. If you want to see the older cars race go to the classic like I do and you will love it
Old 22 Nov 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2794027)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It's about Le Masn HISTORY. So some variety is to be applauded.
Personally, I'd love the next Plateau up from 1865. 1966 to 1975 please.
512s, 917s, plus 312PB and Matras. Oh boy.
But lots of GT40s is OK too!
Though no doubt the MK16 E Types with Red Bull aero kits will take the win!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2794387)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like early 90's too. Guess I'll have to wait a few years for any chance of that.......
Old 24 Nov 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2795038)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
It's about Le Masn HISTORY. So some variety is to be applauded.
Personally, I'd love the next Plateau up from 1865. 1966 to 1975 please.
512s, 917s, plus 312PB and Matras. Oh boy.
But lots of GT40s is OK too!
Though no doubt the MK16 E Types with Red Bull aero kits will take the win!
1865 is abit of a leap but i agree 65 - 75 would float my boat and to then take it up to 81 (or the end of grp 5/6) would be the icing.

As the speed differances could be (depending on drivers)a bit of a worry then maybe we could drop the ones before 1970.

That would leave the wonderful 917's, 512's, 908's, Alfa 33, matras, etc the 2 litre cars from March, Lola, Arbarth, Chevron etc.
Then the group 5 cars like the 512BB, 935 and M1s. Maybe the Renault Alpine and 936 would renew thier grp 6 battles.

what would give to see the Dome zero run again at the place it was designed for, or the De cadanet. That glorious DFV howling down the pit straight mixed in with the flat drone of the Porsche flat 6 turbo.

I've gone all goosey

whatever,the Grp c race last year turned into a farce, maybe it was the lack of practice but I would not want to see those great cars humbled again.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2795266)   #17
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
1865 is abit of a leap but i agree 65 - 75 would float my boat and to then take it up to 81 (or the end of grp 5/6) would be the icing.

As the speed differances could be (depending on drivers)a bit of a worry then maybe we could drop the ones before 1970.

That would leave the wonderful 917's, 512's, 908's, Alfa 33, matras, etc the 2 litre cars from March, Lola, Arbarth, Chevron etc.
Then the group 5 cars like the 512BB, 935 and M1s. Maybe the Renault Alpine and 936 would renew thier grp 6 battles.

what would give to see the Dome zero run again at the place it was designed for, or the De cadanet. That glorious DFV howling down the pit straight mixed in with the flat drone of the Porsche flat 6 turbo.

I've gone all goosey

whatever,the Grp c race last year turned into a farce, maybe it was the lack of practice but I would not want to see those great cars humbled again.
Yes please!
Old 29 Nov 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2797360)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If anyone is interested:

http://www.motorracinglegends.com/in...Legend+Results

Entry lists/results for the past ten years for the historic race. Fairly obvious that we will see the same periods rotate while the race is run by Motor Racing Legends.