Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2004, 18:30 (Ref:887580)   #26
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with Bedeme. The races should be more like sprints. In that it pays for a driver to be aggressive and seek to make a pass happen instead of trundle around hoping his pit crew can get him out faster than his rivals. In fact, do away with pit stops altogether. We'd all find out who had the sack to make the move.
Never forget #99
Old 27 Feb 2004, 18:32 (Ref:887581)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like to see only one special event apart from the others 17 races. One race that would make the teams think in different strategies and setups, that would add a variation to the linear season we usually have. Like a race in the Old Nurbugring - it would be fantastic !
Old 27 Feb 2004, 18:40 (Ref:887585)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That would be great Bon. Variety.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 18:46 (Ref:887591)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great idea Bon... only one race like that would be great..
Old 27 Feb 2004, 19:15 (Ref:887607)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Im sure last years monza race was over after an hour and 15 minutes.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 19:33 (Ref:887618)   #31
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be good, but I would add only a few more laps. 320 km (200 miles) would be good.

Speaking about time of the race, last year's Monaco GP was faster than ever despite of short SC period after Frentzen's accident. If the race had been same distance as other races (305 km), using Montoya's average speed 2 hours and distance (92 laps) would have been in same lap. And without SC period, I'm sure the distance would have been within 2 hours.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 21:08 (Ref:887706)   #32
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1 needs major wholesale changes,not piddling little things like stretching the current boring s*** out more.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 22:05 (Ref:887767)   #33
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm genuinely curious! if F-1 is so boring why do you follow it to the point of actually trawling F-1 forums?
Old 27 Feb 2004, 23:48 (Ref:887836)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said, Frank.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 00:04 (Ref:887843)   #35
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do find F1 boring too, but since i still can remember how good F1 can be i stick by it hoping for better days...

Hopefully i won't get as disappointed as with the whole JV/BAR affair...
Old 28 Feb 2004, 00:25 (Ref:887855)   #36
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The first lap is fantastic..... sadly the last lap seldom is. Team orders (taken to the rediculous extreme) are a large part of that as is (again) the electronic driver aids. I too keep watching, hoping that F1 will return to its glory days.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 00:30 (Ref:887859)   #37
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F1 racing is the perfect length. Open wheelers are best when they are pushing 100% of the race, so I reckon that they should stay the same.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 11:57 (Ref:888156)   #38
Lukus
Rookie

Lukus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by oziengineer
I think F1 racing is the perfect length. Open wheelers are best when they are pushing 100% of the race, so I reckon that they should stay the same.
Yeah, keep them the same length and use the additional TV time that would be used on a longer F1 race for some of the support races!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 13:35 (Ref:888217)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have two similar length races in a weekend!

No? Oh, alright then......
Old 28 Feb 2004, 14:19 (Ref:888231)   #40
yobro
Racer

United Kingdom
Cowbog, Scotland
yobro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perfect length... jus the stupid adverts that make me wonder of the topic inbetween...
Old 28 Feb 2004, 14:56 (Ref:888243)   #41
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres an idea.Lets introduce pit windows.For example you must pit between lap 10&12 for tyres lap 28&30 for fuel and repeat for Lap 45&47 tyres lap 59&60 for fuel.I can here howls of protest but it would introduce outside influence on the race.Also limit the number of people who can work on the car.Tyre change 1 person for each corner and a front and rear jack man.Refuel 2 only.Refueler and fireman just in case.No pit guides.The driver should know where to stop.Also eliminate tyre warmers all together.Lets see drivers go out on cold tyres and see who can be quick.This way everyone has to run the same stratigy.Bring back quailifying on Friday in the old format and have the shoot out for the top 10 only.That is have a qualifiying saturday morning and a shoot out between the top 10 to see who has pole.Also introduce a point for pole like Indy Cars.You put it at the front of the pack you should take at least 1 point away if the race goes pear shaped on you.
Just a thought.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 28 Feb 2004 at 14:59.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 15:13 (Ref:888246)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grumpy - that's over complicating things.

You should be able to stop when you like, or not at all - as is the situation now.

And I hate the idea of points for pole.

The race is where you earn your points - qualifying is merely to set the grid IMO.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 16:26 (Ref:888287)   #43
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Imo, with the speeds that the cars now lap a circuit, and those speeds increasing every season, the current race's are too short.

I notice that the enterance fees for fans don't decrease in line with the race times
Old 28 Feb 2004, 17:55 (Ref:888329)   #44
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that some races should be longer (in terms of laps - the two hour rule is fine). I definitely don't think they should be shorter, largely because one of the skills of being a racing driver is being able to drive your car on the limit - or 'manage' it - consistantly over a long period. The shorter the races, the less obvious that will be. In fact, we've already seen the loss of much of that element with the introduction of so many pit-stops, which brings me to my next point.

I would get rid of fuel stops completely. The different strategies can be interesting, but more often than not overtaking moves aren't attempted due to drivers knowing that the pit-stops will give them an easier opportunity and races have been decided in the pits before. I agree with Adam that the post-Turbo races without fuel stops were great. The only 'looking after' that happened there was with tyres if someone wanted to non-stop. And that tended to increase overtaking AS WELL as keeping a tactical element.

On a purely personal note, I also don't like fuel-stops because the different fuel-loads make it difficult to judge who is genuinely quick, though I realise that such a factor might also be considered as a plus.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:50 (Ref:888460)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V

I notice that the enterance fees for fans don't decrease in line with the race times
Old 28 Feb 2004, 23:29 (Ref:888640)   #46
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think I'm overcomplicating what they have already made complicated.There are too many people involved in pit stops as it is.If you remove 4 people from a tyre change it lengthens a pit stop therefore making tactics come into it moreso.Seperate refueling will also liven it up.As for the point for pole it gives all drivers the incentive to put it on the front of the grid.If you can walk away with 11 points fron a race it will certinally make the others work harder.People are complaining because races are getting shorter time wise and becomeing mundain.This would liven it back up again.

The Grumpy1
Old 28 Feb 2004, 23:39 (Ref:888653)   #47
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Off Topic, but I agree with points awarded for qualifying, but with a twist; reverse order of top 6 qualifiers. Now that would be exciting !
Old 29 Feb 2004, 00:39 (Ref:888695)   #48
JnrJnr
Racer

England
North West
JnrJnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never actually been to an F1 meeting before, but im assuming they have the same constraints as any other meeting. Would longer races mean shorter or less support races??

I imagine that a lot of trackside fans really enjoy the support races, and if the format were to change then some of these could be lost to other meetings.

I think the current distances are ok, and, as it is at the moment the last 20-30 mins of a lot of races can be quite boring. As already mentioned longer races would only prolongue this. I say, leave the length, loose the cut slicks and increase braking distances somehow to give a larger scope for overtaking.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 00:45 (Ref:888704)   #49
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
The race is where you earn your points - qualifying is merely to set the grid IMO.
Well with this stupid rule that you can't refuel between the second qualifying session and the race means some teams won't want the pole in exchange for having a (nearly) full tank of gas at the start.

Introducing a reward for getting the pole would hopefully force the teams that take a spot in the back to try to contend for the pole.

I'd also like to see a reward for running the fastest lap of the race. Perhaps 1 point for pole and fastest lap, respectively. And maybe giving points to everyone who finishes the race.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 01:22 (Ref:888725)   #50
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kirk...Who on earth told you that F1 cars are now easier to drive!?...That's complete and utter rubbish! Do you know any F1 drivers to talk to? Ask any driver trainer or engineer for the G Forces at play these days.

The latest aero advances, not to mention the fantastic grip levels now be generated by the latest tyres!

In my opinion F1 races should be shorter!...F1 cars are 'sprint racers!...Not endurance machines!