Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1170198)   #1
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember BBC2 documentary about McLaren?

There was a documenty following a year of McLaren shown towards the end of 1993.
Can anyone remember what it was called or if it was ever relased as a VHS?

Thank you for any help - anyone can give
Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1170209)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was called " A SEASON WITH MCLAREN "

Ive got it ....But No , it was never released , it was just a F1 series on BBC 2 .

Infact , it was probally the best Documentary series ive ever seen.

whats everyone else think ?

Last edited by Sato san; 2 Dec 2004 at 20:54.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1170211)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I desperately want to see it!
Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1170213)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember it yeah, it was quite a good program IIRC. Does anyone remember a series call The Power and The Glory that was on BBC2 a few years earlier I have it on Video that was a good program too.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1170217)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't that a history of GP racing or something?
Old 2 Dec 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1170218)   #6
mattmarvell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I remember it yeah, it was quite a good program IIRC. Does anyone remember a series call The Power and The Glory that was on BBC2 a few years earlier I have it on Video that was a good program too.
I got that for my Dad on VHS for his birthday years ago ,he never watched it - i've watched it about 5 times now - every time i go and baby sit the dogs - i sit back and enjoy.

Last edited by mattmarvell; 2 Dec 2004 at 21:00.
Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1170282)   #7
mattmarvell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Wasn't that a history of GP racing or something?
It was a history of motor racing not just GP racing
Old 4 Dec 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1170492)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The McLaren thing we recorded on VHS, and then we recorded the 1994 Brazilian GP onto the end of it.
I haven't the foggiest idea where it is now.
Old 4 Dec 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1170565)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The McLaren programme was excellent - I remember seeing it at the time.

Part of me doesn't want to watch it again, seeing Ayrton talking about a future which he was never to have....
Old 4 Dec 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1170784)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one word.

ebay.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1172353)   #11
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it probably the best series of documentaries about f1 yet.

I think ive still got in my VHS collection somewhere, i might even get it transfered to DVD if i can ever work out how to plug my video in to my graphics card
Old 6 Dec 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1172758)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got the whole of the McLaren series on tape still..... Brilliant. The story of Ayrton and the team at Monaco was fantastic.

I also have the double Power and the Glory vid as well......
Old 11 Dec 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1177271)   #13
mattmarvell
Rookie

I managed to obtain a copy and it was as I remembered - a very good programme
( except the pan pipe type backing music used within - although of its time)

As Kicking-back said its strange to see Ayrton Senna talk about the future although even more strange for me was his obsession with death, in the way that he talks about it.

For those that don't know - It followed a different area of the team during different stages of the year for each of the episodes - Test team, PR, Race team ,Senna, Andretti and Mika Hakkinen’s first race weekend for the team - one part was just as I remembered after not seeing it for 11 years- Hakkinen driving Ron Dennis to a circuit and the banter between them seeing the start of the a bond between them with Ron saying 'this one is going to be trouble'
Old 12 Dec 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1177524)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, definitely one of the[ best motor racing documentary series ever......

It really should have been released.......
Old 12 Dec 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1177526)   #15
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1993 was before I got into F1. Sounds like it was a good programme.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1177530)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
93 was before I got out of F1.........
Old 12 Dec 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1177562)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I've got it on DVD somewhere. Bought it off of eBay just before I moved house and haven't seen it since
Old 12 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1177657)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
DVD? Presumably someone copied from VCR to DVD - I certainly haven't seen a pre-recorded version for sale - ever.......?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1178568)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, yes, it's a rip. But looks rather well done.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1178588)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
One day I'll have to plumb my tv/vcr up to the pc and do the same.......
Old 27 Dec 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1188569)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
One day I'll have to plumb my tv/vcr up to the pc and do the same.......
yes , i thought that once .....im stil going now , two and a half years later ...

Mind you , its been fun as well , with over a thousand tapes it been educational ....watching all the races again .
Old 27 Dec 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1188575)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone remember the Clive James documentary at Adelaide '95? Another eBay job??
Old 4 Jan 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1192680)   #23
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the series about McLaren was simply called 'The Team'. I did contact the programme makers about buying copies of each episode but at £50.00 each I thought it too expensive. It would be great if the Beeb released this on DVD. I'd happily part with £20 for it - an excellent insight.

And as for The Power & The Glory. Simply stunning ...
Old 4 Jan 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1192806)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Now that I've got my DVD recorder, I'll be putting the series onto DVD......
Old 4 Jan 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1192962)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Available at around twenty notes on eBay, Jonny. Whilst I'd dearly love to put this money into the BBC coffers they left me no option but to go for something slightly less than genuine. Still it is a very good quality copy and I'm happy.