Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 May 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3821665)   #701
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha, yes. Capris with a rear sway bar moved down the axle may be is a special allowance then, because you have to weld brackets to the chassis? The first picture seen on the 5336 homologation form shows anti tramp bars and when the body was changed to the MK2 form it is said: rear stabilizer now fitted to all production cars.
Old 12 May 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3821670)   #702
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard, the rear suspension is E90 M3 and front uses E46 M3 legs. Didn't like the idea of using a heavy yank axle, better left to big yank cars or doing 1/4 mile runs

The rear sway bar underneath still complied with Gp1 as it used the original mounts, ie. drop links at the front to original mounting point. I guess it just allowed the use of bigger bars that didn't need curving over the diff. I just used the 14mm 2.8i bar but spaced away from axle tube to give some anti-tramp.
Old 12 May 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3821696)   #703
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As Simon says. You could relocate and increase the diameter by using stop links bolted to the original morning points. Sane as you could with the front arb by dropping it the make it more anti dive.
Old 12 May 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3821699)   #704
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You both are right of course, thanks for correcting! I "just" forgot the front drop links thing… Not a detail! Anyway, the bar must be attached to the axle probably with bolted brackets this time? As to their diameter, if my memory serves, any car, any category, diameter is free. You know the sentence: please correct me if I'm wrong!
Simon if you like to visit another continent with your car this year, I could arrange a fair deal - 3 hotel nights for 2 persons free, ridiculous entry fee, no annual fee -. Let me know by PM we would love to se you and your car (Salooncar series, VdeV championship, 2 times one hour or 30' per weekend, your choice).
Old 27 May 2018, 22:36 (Ref:3825117)   #705
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakspeed65 View Post
Should it have Anti Tramp bars? I know this car last ran at Macau in 86 and thats it. Nothing since then, so is probably one of the most unmolested surviving cars out there. Although it would seem to me that there must be many more waiting to be discovered out there.
Can you see any signs of other paint of logos beneath the white?
I wonder if it's the car CC and Rouse used as a 2.8 test hack in 1982 before it obvs went to Macau?
Old 1 Jun 2018, 20:14 (Ref:3826093)   #706
pattlega
Rookie

England
Brentwood, Essex
pattlega should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3827353)   #707
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
zakspeed65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi chunterer,

As you asked about what was under the paint I thought I would have a look.

The car has been in storage and I have not really given it much time, so he goes.

This is what I found yesterday afternoon.

All seams are Braised, see photos 1 & 2.

Earlier Scuttle mounted Battery and Fire Exthingusher holes are evident L/H side of scuttle, Welded up! photo 3 (inside looking up), 4 Outside after removing layers of paint.

Holes for R/H rear wing number light, photo 5, photo 6 after removing paint.

Holes for L/H rear wing number light, photo 7, photo 8 after removing inner trim panel, photo 9 after removing paint.

photo 10 shows hammering marks on the inside of L/H rear wing just behind the B pilar, the tape is covering the holes for the light and the hammering evidence is below. i intend to carerfully remove the layers of paint from the outside in this area to expose the damage!
I also intend to remove the paint in most areas to check the logos etc.

This car is looking very promising, and is slowly letting me see the whole picture.

Photos 7,8 9 and 10 are in separate post!
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_61fd.jpg   sw76SI3qTVm8BSiHR%om%A.jpg   fullsizeoutput_61e5.jpeg  

sTZDUalxSVSWrsDywGjOvw.jpg   ygxYM+ljRfuyFA7iUMS2HQ.jpg   fullsizeoutput_61f9.jpg  

Last edited by zakspeed65; 7 Jun 2018 at 10:41.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3827356)   #708
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Photo 7, 8, 9 and 10.

All this is important, but photo 10 was so good to see as this car now really has my attention.

Photo 11 is L/H front cockpit area,
I will look very carefully at L/H door inside and out to see if any evidence remains there also.

By my reckoning the paint goes in the areas I have looked at, White, Blue, Red, Red, Red and finally White.

Will keep posts coming as I see more.

Gary.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_61e7.jpeg   n7sA6WbQSEeoEcXhSuCYvQ.jpg   PUWD7lHSTACDL+LsABIBOA.jpg  

fullsizeoutput_6221.jpeg   dzN+beLBT4aXXLf3AagxUQ.jpg  

Last edited by zakspeed65; 7 Jun 2018 at 10:44.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3827417)   #709
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice pics, thanks Gary. Is the part under the dash seen on last picture related to the braking system?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3827459)   #710
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice pics, thanks Gary. Is the part under the dash seen on last picture related to the braking system?
Correct!
Power booster.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3827461)   #711
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Fine! Never saw this kind of arrangement before, rather often you have the 2 or 3 master cylinders inside the cabin, heading driver's feet. Some go for the motorsport tools brake bias system from what I saw during last NEC show, in tis case no mastervac and all the stuff under the hood (bonnet!).
Is your rack and pinion a PAS model but with a disconnected pump? Is the body all steel or steel/ aluminium or steel with some fiberglas parts?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3827463)   #712
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From a previous view, seems you have an anti dive kit locating the front sway bar lower, but the bar is held on 2 points only, center is "free".
Old 7 Jun 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3827470)   #713
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Front sway bar diameter is in the region of 22 or 24 mm I guess? Did you already spot a special part located between the axle and the rear spring leave?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3827527)   #714
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Front sway bar diameter is in the region of 22 or 24 mm I guess? Did you already spot a special part located between the axle and the rear spring leave?
There is the usual pedal box asst in this car. I figured that the booster was a 24hr long distance addition.
Body is all steel in think, time may prove me wrong.
I’m sure this car will show some of the restored car around need a bit of work to really be Original! As I mentioned earlier, this is a car that has sat since 86 and seems to be very Original!
What is this special part you refer to?
Old 8 Jun 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3827576)   #715
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The part if it exists on this car can be located between the rear spring and the spring saddle welded to the axle. Well in fact any part helping to keep the axle together with the car in heavy cornering condition. Sure its a survivor, you both lucky: her to find you and vice versa!
I bet that at the end of the day you will discover what element made those cars so fast back in the day: the drivers!
Old 8 Jun 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3827580)   #716
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Gerald C,

Very aware of the part that made them fast, keeping the number stamped on it too myself for now!

I'm sure you understand!

I'm off to have another wee look in the coming days! Can't wait to see what else I unearth!
Old 8 Jun 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3827648)   #717
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I do understand. Having one is fantastic, having two nearly a miracle! You're a modern Sherlock Holmes, specialized in genuine Capris!
Pattlega posted very interesting pics of his Cricket car too, have a look to the strut top mounting parts, they allow to keep the ride heigh low while having a decent suspension travel. Very wise. The large diameter alternator pulley is a good modification when you rev it. Please keep us informed.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 04:36 (Ref:3832597)   #718
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hi all,
Today I was out having a look at the Capri. The 2 photos below show the roof above the B Pilar on the R/H side.
In 79 the cars had a small light here, so not only was it at Spa in 78 but it was back at it in 79. Not surprising really but cool all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2360.jpg   +i3ijJoPQfuTfdSpdyworg.jpg  
Old 9 Jul 2018, 05:15 (Ref:3835607)   #719
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Strip down of CC5 has started, very happy to find the car has one of its Original engines, Engine number (NB 007), need to look very closely on the tappet cover to make out the number, a bit easier to spot on the block. The sump and windage tray is a work of art also.
I will also add a few more random photos in a couple of other posts.
Attached Thumbnails
6E44lqdcQ3CdEeZoTgNGGg.jpg   L1WQG5E7QmWWjfJ5i9CpNg.jpg   fe%xAKdjQyapg2+T0%6kaA.jpg  

elZ2LyTUTIic7J88NYQ48A.jpg   WxEt%PeRSM60SPoq9axGPA.jpg   5coiOuhcTcKOW4omceXaDw.jpg  

Old 9 Jul 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3835609)   #720
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
More images.
Attached Thumbnails
WC0U5+TITBiA8qdJ+9p%WA.jpg   p2Wj8jQDRIOC+yfGORK5Uw.jpg   23yA%AYwTy6wBjdcPXOdpw.jpg  

jyA8y1PLS5S0hpWj7K1++A.jpg   I38CK7+bRNeS%cbb1qYGAg.jpg   IMG_2443.JPG  

Old 9 Jul 2018, 05:25 (Ref:3835610)   #721
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
More images.
Roll cage is Steel but Front Legs and Screen bar are Alloy!
Attached Thumbnails
pNHGhw9JSEyx9n5GM+3ENg.jpg   caw1A1yZQe+S5uEaKTnycA.jpg   %NbN6P4pSMa8FmVvAOTGwA.jpg  

FnjQA1POTnO1HAp3skjlOA.jpg   w8HwMSz6RdCroz7PEU837g.jpg   aqq2hTzVQ76yBl%+kSoqwg.jpg  

Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3836041)   #722
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The trunk has been modified to accept either the long range homologated reservoir (75 l may be) but more likely a second one, hence two filler caps.
Actual roll cages are much better, joining the two top suspension mountings and the floor. Mine is like yours, but full steel of course, and the rear part of the body is rather weak. If tubes are running through the bulkhead, any attachement must be not closer than 10 centimeters from the front strut mounting.Well, should not.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3836826)   #723
zakspeed65
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
There is only 1 fuel filler the other is to get air out. 1 large tank.

Photos to come.
Quote:
The trunk has been modified to accept either the long range homologated reservoir (75 l may be) but more likely a second one, hence two filler caps.
Actual roll cages are much better, joining the two top suspension mountings and the floor. Mine is like yours, but full steel of course, and the rear part of the body is rather weak. If tubes are running through the bulkhead, any attachement must be not closer than 10 centimeters from the front struWell, should not.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3872775)   #724
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice looking home made "hommage" here: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...re-faberge-car
Old 31 Dec 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3873245)   #725
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nice looking home made "hommage" here: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...re-faberge-car
Jim McLoughlin's?

Hold on though, a 300hp Gr1.5 Essex engine?! That's not original spec, the most those engines were capable of was 265 in '82, but I guess 'modern' metallurgy and engineering capabilities mean more is possible 🙄

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman