Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3832287)   #51
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Maybe you need to have a closer look at them, and see all the racecar bits they have.
Just don't look too closely at the suspension...
Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3832292)   #52
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right. Needs more rocker-acuated dampers and oval-section carbon fibre wishbones.

See this, on how they simply slap some stickers on a Seat Leon, and call it a TCR car: https://garagedesblogs.com/naissance-dune-tcr
Old 21 Jun 2018, 12:08 (Ref:3832313)   #53
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
AI'm not interested in TCR. Can't see myself watching much of them at all TBQH. But why can't we have a discussion about how our current series could be improved by some of the concepts from within TCR? Manufacturer diversity, low running costs, easy maintenance - someone explain to me again why Supercars needs to be a development series and how that provides any benefit to anyone at all?
Post of the week. That makes perfect sense.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3832349)   #54
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another article:
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/cupra/first-drive

Quote:
The car arrives at the factory as a standard Leon but is quickly stripped down to the shell and modified for safety. The transmission tunnel is hammered in to make sure the driver is more central in the car to protect against side impacts and a hefty roll-cage is welded in. Then a race seat is plonked as low as it can so that all that is left are some pedals, a steering wheel, a minimal LCD display and somewhere to sit – all you need for a race car.
Outside, a new aero package is fitted that includes a series standardised carbon fibre front splitter (one of only a few carbon parts), rear ‘grasshopper’ spoiler (for more downforce), huge plank-like side skirts and an aggressive front end with added cooling. Thanks to fully adjustable suspension, it sits a lot lower and lightweight wheels wrapped in slicks fill the swollen arches. And, we have to say, the grey and copper tones work well on the bloated bodywork.
I didn't realise all the VAG TCR cars come out of the same factory.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3832835)   #55
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
27 car pileup causes 2 hour delay in Portugal:

https://www.facebook.com/15322532482...6674027014824/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Jun 2018, 03:51 (Ref:3832962)   #56
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
A couple of hundred people employed in designing, manufacturing & servicing the cars might have something to say about a benefit... In fact I believe some of them even post here.
You know very well that isn't what was meant by the post.

However, if you actually want to have that conversation, what is the purpose of motor racing? Is it's primary focus job creation and employment? I imagine there are many ways we could improve in that regards, if indeed that were the case. But of course, we both know that it isn't.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 23:09 (Ref:3833385)   #57
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ex-VCA, ex-Supercars pen pusher Matt Braid confirmed as head of TCR Australia.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 23:25 (Ref:3833386)   #58
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Story here
Mr Boyd & Mr McMellan clearly providing the backing - wonder whether this or the "new F5000" out of the same stable will be racing first.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3833450)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Story here
Mr Boyd & Mr McMellan clearly providing the backing - wonder whether this or the "new F5000" out of the same stable will be racing first.
Should GRM be worried?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jun 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3833457)   #60
Umai Naa
Veteran

Or anyone else benefitting from Wilson/Payce dowry?
Old 28 Jun 2018, 23:55 (Ref:3833518)   #61
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Should GRM be worried?
Quote:
Or anyone else benefitting from Wilson/Payce dowry?
I guess that depends on the agreements that GRM and others have in place with Wilson/Payce.

When you have a key sponsor getting involved in other expensive projects it can be a cause for concern, particularly when those expensive projects feel like they may not generate much ROI for your sponsor - thus potentially becoming something of a black hole.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 01:08 (Ref:3833525)   #62
Mixer
Veteran

Wilson and Payce have consistently had cars in different categories and even multiple cars in Supercars, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3833527)   #63
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
My only concern is with a number of fingers in a number of pies-how big is the Wilson/Payce pot?

Was surprised to see Wilson involved with TCR-weren’t they the GRM sponsor that said if the team adopted the V6 turbo they would depart?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 03:12 (Ref:3833529)   #64
Umai Naa
Veteran

No, that was Peter Adderton of Boost Mobile. He was previously a large investor in Super Touring here.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3833571)   #65
Mixer
Veteran

Adcafe asked a few manufacturers:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/29...s-development/

Saying cars will be $200kish

Honda might offer spare parts or technical support if anybody wants to jump in.

Could get interesting if people could get brands on the side of the car.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3833577)   #66
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of curiosity , where are all the 17-25 year olds, on this or other forums, discussing the pro's and con's of V8 Cars.

Don't mean to be sarcastic , but Super Tourers first foray into Aust didn't bear the fruit they thought.

Maybe this time it will. Have Supercars noticed there demographic age is on the other side of 45 +

Demographics have changed.
I enjoy watching the BTC and DTM ,and TCR , by any means of media, and yes I am well past the 45 + , two cars running that even built anymore.

just putting it out there
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3833590)   #67
Umai Naa
Veteran

Hard to compare it with ST, they're on two different wavelengths in my opinion. Some similarities, sure. But only some.

I think interest in motorsport by milennials isn't near what it was in previous generations. When I was a kid, most of my peers were somewhat aware of motorsport, whether it was F1, touring cars, etc. They may not have been as into it as I was, but they knew some names, and what they drove.

Ask kids these days that are of similar age as those back then, and they haven't the foggiest in most cases. Even my own brood offers very little interest, and they've had a fair bit of expsoure to it from virtually day one.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3833704)   #68
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son has raced since he was 8 and now 30 and he never watches or follows motor sport at all. Ask him to watch a Super Car race and he will tell you it is like watching paint dry very slowly.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3833883)   #69
Mixer
Veteran

Adcafe "TCR Explained"

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/01...orm-explained/

Puff piece. Supposedly 14 "bespoke" cars, well if you don't count the VAG triplets and the Hyundai/Kia twins. 9 cars doesn't have the same ring to it.

Quote:
TCR Regulations

Eligible cars: 4/5-door vehicles
Body shell: Reinforced production body shell; wheel arch modifications allowed to accommodate tyres
Minimum weight: 1250kg for cars with production gearbox, 1285kg for cars with racing gearbox (both including the driver)
Minimum overall length: 4.20 metres
Maximum overall width: 1.95 metres
Engine: Turbo-charged petrol or diesel up to 2.0-litre
Torque: 420Nm
Power: 260kW
Lubrication: Wet sump
Exhaust: Homologated catalytic converter using production parts
Traction: On two wheels
Gearbox: Production or TCR International Series sequential; production paddle shift accepted
Front Suspension: Production lay-out; parts free design
Rear Suspension: Original design of production car with reinforced components
Brakes:
Front: maximum 6 piston calipers, brake discs maximum diameter 380mm
Rear: maximum 2 piston callipers; production ABS accepted
Wheels: Maximum dimensions of rim: 10″ x 18″
EDIT: Actually the story is way worse on manufacturers when you dig into it.

The VAG cars and Hyundai/Kia are a genuine factory effort. From the early running the Hyundai looks very competitive.
Peugeot also is a full factory effort and the car looks good.
Honda's car looks good but again doesn't seem to have direct manufacturer involvement.
The Alfa isn't a real factory car but seems to have some pace despite only having a 1.8l engine
The Renault and particularly Subaru efforts are "authorised" by manufacturer only, with no money or direct involvement, the Subaru actually seems a bit hopeless and the Renault seems to only appear in videogames...

Seat, Opel and Lada don't sell cars in Australia at all, Kia don't sell the model they race in TCR in Australia.

The Focus TCR isn't homologated, whoever did their research for the article didn't really do a good job.

Do we really want a Golf vs i30 series?

Last edited by Mixer; 1 Jul 2018 at 09:18.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3833887)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

Holden sells the Opel as, you're gonna love this; an Astra hatch.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3833888)   #71
ChrisMarks
Rookie

Denmark
ChrisMarks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The Focus TCR isn't homologated, whoever did their research for the article didn't really do a good job.
The Focus was homologated, but after FRD Motorsports stopped the project, the homologation most likely expired..
Old 1 Jul 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3833889)   #72
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Holden sells the Opel as, you're gonna love this; an Astra hatch.
yeah and if we see one in TCR in Australia, I'll go he for tiggy. Holden are in deep **** and already committed to Supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMarks View Post
The Focus was homologated, but after FRD Motorsports stopped the project, the homologation most likely expired..
It is not and never was homologated. It raced in a TCR race but was never homologated (so it can't score points), like a lot of other things. It shows up on the TCR International site but not the main TCR site. Actually interesting that they should be so completely different.

Officially homologated cars are here:
http://www.tcr-series.com/inside-tcr/homologated-cars

Can't edit my post above.

The Astra would seem to be a pukka OPC effort so we could see it I guess with Holden badges but I can't see a dollar coming from Holden to support it.

The Honda looks very well made and the team pedigree is most excellent. Honda might be the most likely after VW and Hyundai to put some money out there to fly the flag.

Last edited by Mixer; 1 Jul 2018 at 09:52.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 10:00 (Ref:3833891)   #73
Umai Naa
Veteran

They're customer cars first and foremost. The entire ethos of the ruleset is to not rely on manufacturer support. Sure, national arms of manufacturers kick the tin in some cases though.

You want Astra TCR parts, you order from Kissling Motorsport in Germany, not OPC. Opel are not directly involved. Opel Switzerland kicks the tin to a limited extent for Ms Preisig, due to family dealership connections, but that's about it. Honda; J.A.S., Renault; Vukovic, Lada; Lubner, the Alfa; Romeo Ferraris, and so on.

Hyundai, Peugeot and VAG are kind of different, in that their motorsport divisions are involved. But, nothing stopping someone from setting up perhaps as an Asia-Pacific agent (given the strength of the various TCR series in the Asian regions, they probably already exist), just as MPC have done for Audisport, and now Cupra Motorsport for the TCR thing.

Hell, plenty of GT3 and 4 cars running around in Aus with no locally-based customer support. You want parts for your GT3 Gallardo or Camaro? You're ringing Reiter in Germany. These constructors are geared up to support the owners of these cars, similar to how Triple Eight operates here.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3833897)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

I know all of that, but the fact remains that a bunch of these so-called "manufacturer" cars (Speedcafe's words not mine) are far from, and many of them are complete jokes that no manufacturer here would put their name to it.

Clearly TCR's corporate benefactors are paying the bills; I would appreciate Speedcafe being a bit more balanced, and at least stating facts.

The teams like JAS have a serious ongoing relationship and are like factory teams, but so many others are privateer efforts that are hopelessly uncompetitive, like the Subaru.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3833898)   #75
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's a fluff piece on Adcafe.

The same website that posts historical innaccuracies, quotes taken from the TV coverage, and plagurises press releases on a weekly basis.