Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 Apr 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3230557)   #1
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jungle Airport

This is an abandoned, single runway, airport in the middle of the Venezuelan jungle.
The runway is the main straight and 24 meter wide.
Coming off the runway a 12 meter wide track has been cut through the rainforest.

I wanted to create low/medium downforce racetrack with loads of straights for slipstreaming.

Interesting features (wich I think) are coming of the 24 meter main straight onto the 12 meter wide racetrack.
This difference in trackwidth results in having to apex late, thus leaving room for a competitor to dive in.
The reverse happens on the last corner where, because of this trackwidth difference, the track opens up allowing an early apex.

Please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Jungle_Airport.jpg  
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3230627)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why do I see Monza...

OK so no main straight or Roggia chicanes
A variation on the Lesmos
And an oversized r-l-r version of Ascari
Old 8 Apr 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3230775)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple but effective. I like it.

bio
Old 8 Apr 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3230831)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Why do I see Monza...

OK so no main straight or Roggia chicanes
A variation on the Lesmos
And an oversized r-l-r version of Ascari
Why do I see A1-Ring/Red Bullring? ;-)

Both good and fast tracks, here they are mashed-up into one, with an interesting middle section added to them.

SBF, wouldn't you agree that the blot shape of Monza is one of the more basic and easily recognizable ones? Yet, it's one of the most effective ones, too.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3230916)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
To be honest, I never understood this "reminds me of..." thing. Two tracks that have similar overall shapes might offer totally different driving and racing experience. The devil is, once again, in the details...

bio
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3231141)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Bio, that may be true, but some of us have that built-in pattern recognition that's always on, and looking for similarities of all kinds.

It looks like quite a nice, quick circuit. It's definitely a good one, Calculator.

Me, I see Monza, bits of the Osterreichring, and a few hints of Continental Divide Raceway, just off the top of my head.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3231220)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Bio, that may be true, but some of us have that built-in pattern recognition that's always on, and looking for similarities of all kinds.
I got the WHY part. What I don't see is the relevance.

bio
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3231230)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think relating a design to a real world circuit when done positively is flattering to the designer.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3231250)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think relating a design to a real world circuit when done positively is flattering to the designer.
Exactly. Not sure where you're coming from, bio. :/
Old 9 Apr 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3231421)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Exactly. Not sure where you're coming from, bio. :/
Well, for me that's never felt like flattering - but I understand that's my interpretation and not necessarily the other's intention. And I'll explain why i never liked it: for me one of the key parts of track design is originality. When I spend a lot of time creating something I think was worth creating, something that's unique in a way, I don't quite like to see that someone's first reaction to it is being reminded of something else. It's like you have a band, you're trying to make some unique music pieces, and when someone hears it he says "wow, you sound like Nirvana!" - though that's a compliment because Nirvana played good music (though not my taste ), the main message there - though not necessarily meant - is that "you play music that's not original". If originality is one of the goals you'r after when you design tracks, seeing that your track reminds others of other tracks will never be a compliment - even when it's fully meant to be.

And please, someone enlighten me: in what way is the fact that a track's general blot shape resembles an existing track flattering? What's flattering about one shape resembling another? I don't quite see it. Making one blot shape resemble another isn't a feat IMHO.

Please, note that all I said here was my opinion only and I'm fully aware of it, so I don't think that others think the same way or share this opinion.

bio
Old 9 Apr 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3231463)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
If the existing real world track provides good racing, I feel that by offering a positive comparison my intention is to suggest that this new design would likely offer equally as good racing.

By the same token if I viewed a track as resembling a real world circuit, but with in my view a poor corner sequence or a critical or dangerous layout of a section I'll say that too.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3231508)   #12
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Bio said.

Also I think the track is nice and could produces exiting races. To increase the challenge, you might try to include a few more corners were you can make a difference. For instance I'd tighten the R200-turn a bit so it is not full throttle anymore and/or make the esses after the hairpin tighter or further after the hairpin for a higher entry-speed.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3231665)   #13
the_calculator
Rookie

Netherlands
the_calculator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite a commotion, but any similarity with an existing track is unintended.
However all those tracks you refer to (Monza, Osterreichring...) are among my favorites.
So maybe in my subconciousness...

This track really started out me wondering how trackwidth would affect the theoretical racingline (not really taking in account the real racingline, wich could be "slow-in-fast-out" for example).
I took the widest radius through corners and started playing with them, resulting in the two corners below.
Next I had to turn these into a racetrack to post them here, since this forum's not called "My Corner Designs".
Really took me about half an hour to complete the rest of the layout.

Thanks for the comments everybody.
Attached Thumbnails
Jungle_Airport_02.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3231872)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
If the existing real world track provides good racing, I feel that by offering a positive comparison my intention is to suggest that this new design would likely offer equally as good racing.

By the same token if I viewed a track as resembling a real world circuit, but with in my view a poor corner sequence or a critical or dangerous layout of a section I'll say that too.
I see, but then it's not the fact that the track resembles an existing one is the good thing, but the fact that it's a good track.

And let me put emphasis on this once again: I of course have nothing against your intentions and realize you mean it as a compliment. It's just how I concieve it.

bio