Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: Should O.A.P's be on the road?
Yes, leave them alone! 7 28.00%
Yes, but they should have a free re-test every year 4 16.00%
Yes, but re-test AND medically exam them every year 12 48.00%
No, ban them once they reach 65! 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1025545)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Plea for Help from a Car-Less marshal...

To say i've had the week from hell would be an understatement. I'll not go in to detail here, but basically an O.A.P has cost me my X reg Pug 106 and my insurance company are not being too helpful about getting me a replacement right now...

This leaves me with very sore knees and currently no way to get to Oulton. My next weekend at OP is the F3/GT races, which i'm not sure i'll be able to get to unless a very kind person living / going past the Preston area can give me a ride. If anyone would be kind enough to pick me up i'd not only be extremely grateful but more than willing to financially compensate them for the trouble.

If there is anyone out there who can help, please PM me and we can sort out some details.

Many thanks,
Steve
Old 4 Jul 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1025824)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lets be honest, everyone should have a retest and medical, not just those over 65, there are just as many below 65 that are in need of reassessment
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1026012)   #3
Gwendolyn
Rookie

Gwendolyn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Each and every one of us is ageing year by year and will eventually reach old age, OAP as is frequently used. When this glorious age is attained and you are asked for a re-test or medical on a yearly basis how many of you will be screaming "I'm a good driver, by subjecting me to a re-test you are infringing my basic human rights". More accidents are caused by younger drivers and other persons who drive beyond their capabilities. Leave the senior citizns alone and let them enjoy their retirement, they have earned it.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1026075)   #4
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
as a HGV and PSV holder i think everyone should like us get a medical every 3 years after age 45.
And on the results of medical keep or loose licence.
Reaction times are the most cause of accidents in OAPs
Old 4 Jul 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1026101)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Not a very fair poll you have up there. I don't agree with the re-test but everyone should have a medical every five years from 45 like we have to. I think a lot of people would lose their licences on eyesight grounds alone, which is probably the cause of a lot of accidents with the wrinklies.
BTW none of this helps Hepatic with his lift.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 07:23 (Ref:1026394)   #6
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers, thinking about it re-tests need not be restricted to OAP's. I'd be more than happy to take one if it was free, it'd be like ensuring people who have marshalled for a while are kept up to speed by attending training every year.

Just to qualify the OAP-bashing here, she came out of a T-junction at about 30mph on to a main road. Made no effort to stop or turn and i had no way of avoiding her. According to the medics on scene, they think she had a stroke / fainted at the wheel, hence why i'm annoyed that there is no mandatory medical...
Old 5 Jul 2004, 08:16 (Ref:1026436)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve,
The only marshal I know that would be passing Preston (M6) might be a flaggie called Staurt Carr.
Don't have his details, but you could always contact the BMMC North and see if they are willing to help!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1038262)   #8
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Cheers for all the help - it looks like i should be there this weekend thanks the very kind offer of a lift from Mike Kelly