Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2001, 23:28 (Ref:88140)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wills tells AVESCO to stick it

Konica series leader Simon Wills has warned that he will pull up stumps and leave the series after the Winton round if they don't do anything about the reverse grid format for the second race.

What do you think? Would you continue on if you were in his position of being a clear cut favourite, yet being penalised for it??
Old 3 May 2001, 01:47 (Ref:88177)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well they are going to change it for next year...most of the drivers have stated that they dont want the rules changed mid season..I feel sorry for Simon Wills but using blackmail is not the way to get your message across...AVESCO dont car if he is there or not as there are plenty of other people who will show up to make it a good race.

Im glad hes still going to Winton as I was sure I was going to read in this thread that hes packed it in before this round.
Old 3 May 2001, 01:53 (Ref:88180)   #3
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the reverse grid second race and think it is important to keep it so as many as possible can get TV coverage for sponsors. What sucks is that the grid for the third race is the finishing order of the second race and not a aggregate of races 1 & 2.
Old 3 May 2001, 02:24 (Ref:88192)   #4
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reverse grid sucks.

Just imagine winning race 1 by about 14 seconds and then having to start race 2 in last, fight your way through to about 10th or so then starting the third race in about 6th cause the guy who came tenth in race 1 had less cars to pass.

It's stupid, the only venue it should be used at is the Canberra GMC400
Old 3 May 2001, 03:04 (Ref:88207)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By all means keep the reverse grid race. But let's find a way to make it work for the better drivers.

How about a pointscore for that race weighted with the number of positions made up?

The regular pointscore, plus, say, 2 points for every car passed in that race.

Then the final race would have a grid based on the finish in the first heat, the reverse grid determining nothing in that regard. Or simply go back to a grid based on practice times.
Old 3 May 2001, 05:59 (Ref:88232)   #6
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for the Konica it is only the top TEN, which is inverted or reversed!!! I was only talking about the Konica series and would not like it to become the norm in the Shell series!!! OK?????

It is hard enough now to keep track of points without the confusion of "passing points" .they are no longer used in karting for the same reason. Points for both race 1 and race 2 positions are combined and that determines the third race grid. That seems to be fair AS THE CREAM ALWAYS RISES TO THE TOP.
Old 3 May 2001, 11:59 (Ref:88293)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He knew what the rules were before the series started...to start crying about it now really stinks of poor sportsmanship.

He is a young talent that could shoot himself in the foot if he's not careful...
Old 3 May 2001, 12:41 (Ref:88309)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon is complaining about the grid order for race 3, not the reverse grid for race 2.

And the competitors were complaining about it from the beginning, not just recently.
Old 6 May 2001, 02:48 (Ref:89539)   #9
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon, Simon, Simon, he has always spoken his mind!!! But threatening to leave the series wont get him or the issue anywhere.

But on reverse grids, I think reversing the top 6in the second race like they did in the Sehll series last year a few times is better. But like the Shell series, there should be just ONE race in the season with a full reverse grid.
Old 6 May 2001, 04:24 (Ref:89551)   #10
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont agree with the current reverse grid set up either ,but ,like all sporting rules it is the same for everybody.

So maybe he has to stop whinging and get on with it,try to use the rules to his advantage, which might involve sandbagging in the first race.No one wants to see this happen ,but it would make the rule makers think more about changing the rule than threating to drop out of the series would.
Old 6 May 2001, 08:12 (Ref:89571)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reverse grids are mickey mouse bull**** and have no place in real racing. Having said that, if everybody sandbags in race 1 it will see the rules changed a lot quicker than people complaining or taking their bat and ball and going home.
Old 9 May 2001, 12:35 (Ref:90670)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if you want an interesting way of determining a grid, try the new V8 BrUte series. They qualify, pole gets 1 point. Then the draw marbles for grid positions for race 1. Then for race 2 they reverse the race 1 grid (not race 1 results). Then the race 3 grid is made up from the highest point scorer so far.
Old 9 May 2001, 23:03 (Ref:90868)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Q. Why bother qulaifing?? If its only for one point....
Old 10 May 2001, 05:58 (Ref:90915)   #14
pauldumbrell
Rookie

pauldumbrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Format

The Reverse grid system is one which people knew about in the series before it even started, when the regulations were issued! No one complained then and it wasnt until the 1st racemeeting that people starting bringing it up.

I do not agree with the way it is run, but it is also a big call to change a major part of the rules in a series mid way through the season!

A better solution to the whole situation would be to have the top 10 reversed in race 2, but combnined points the starting order in race three... Their would be no dramas from any of the drivers or the teams with a system adopted like that.

The current system does create 'action' which is want AVESCO want, but as Simon Wills said it all does come at a cost of something!

Paul Dumbrell
Gibson Motorsport
Old 10 May 2001, 06:59 (Ref:90919)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hey, welcome aboard Paul! Second in the championship aint a bad effort...knocking off Trucky shouldn't be too hard??
Old 10 May 2001, 11:15 (Ref:90965)   #16
elephino
Veteran

Welcome Paul

I'm with Crash, you're doing a great job.
Old 10 May 2001, 11:21 (Ref:90968)   #17
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gidday Paul. yeah, take it to Trucky!

The few times that the Shell series reversed the top 6 seemed to of worked well, but reversing the top 10 sounds better and as you said Paul combined points from both races in this senario is fair.

Why is it that all the rounds in the Konica series have reverse races and the Shell series just has one? They series are alike so why are the formats so different.
Old 11 May 2001, 02:36 (Ref:91141)   #18
pauldumbrell
Rookie

pauldumbrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the reason why all the races in the Konica Series are reversed is because Avesco wants to have more 'action'. I believe that the competition in the series now should produce good racing no matter if the reverse grid races would be included or not, but it wouldnt be a bad idea to have half the races with a reverse grid system...

Truckie and myself just have to keep ourselves at the front of the series and you never know how team orders might come into play... Truckie is a very good teacher and had taught me more about touring cars than anyone has so far, and i am sure that he would help me if i needed it!

I think that the level of professionalism in the series now that people from the Konica series could go to the Shell series and do a good job, Qualifing at winton was a good indication of that!

Cheers

Paul Dumbrell
www.pauldumbrell.com
Old 11 May 2001, 03:23 (Ref:91146)   #19
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day Paul, welcome to our fun house. Hey the rest of us had better watch what we say about these drivers now....... na never bwahaha.

Paul , just because he is the teacher doesnt mean you cant beat him , go for it.

I read in AA that wills is trying to make it to the next round, so well have to see what happens

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 11 May 2001, 07:07 (Ref:91170)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul, great to see some V8 drivers on the forum!

Anyone, enough of that. The reverse grid in my opinion, worked ok in it's 2000 format, with the top six reverse. I think that reversing the top ten cars is just too many. Simon Wills has been fastest in all rounds, but has then been caught up in crashes in race two, meaning he now lies fifth in the championship. So, let's go back to the old reverse grid format - the one no one complained about!
Old 11 May 2001, 15:49 (Ref:91263)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wooo hoooo...welcome aboard Paul (Gee am I glad i gave you a good wrap in the Winton konica thread )

I must say I was very impressed with the konica series and drivers at Winton ..I was expecting to see some very old and run down cars but to my delight all were immaculate..the presentation was very good...wish i had of forked out the $10 for pit entry and come down and had a chat with you.

I agree with you that the situation is not very good..but as you stated and i did earlier the drivers dont want to change things in the middle of the season and that is fair enough.

I hope Simon reconsiders and continues on because he is one of the top drivers in the series..

anyway thanks for a great day of racing at winton and good luck for the rest of the series and dont be shy in coming back and boasting or venting whatever the case may be