Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 May 2002, 16:11 (Ref:300499)   #51
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i watched channel 4s highlights again. is it taken from the walkway that goes around the module sportif?
Old 30 May 2002, 16:48 (Ref:300530)   #52
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i watched channel 4s highlights again. is it taken from the walkway that goes around the module sportif?
Still not... another clue... it's taken from the OTHER SIDE of the track...
Old 30 May 2002, 16:56 (Ref:300540)   #53
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from the aco stand with a longish lens?
Old 30 May 2002, 17:07 (Ref:300553)   #54
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The little old stand that (used to be?) for the press?

Durand-something?

FG
Old 30 May 2002, 17:45 (Ref:300619)   #55
viper_man
Rookie

viper_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
beretta waking the oreca viper up last year. 2 things made that amazing, 1 - it was the last time an oreca viper was to race at le mans (well apart from oreca/larbre this year!) and 2 - nothing in the world sounds better than a gts-r/t!
Old 30 May 2002, 18:13 (Ref:300651)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS

I'll have to take your word for it. Now was it a beer or a Pimms you wanted?
Would I lie to you?

Well yes, I probably would.

But not about sleeping at Le Mans. Anyone who sleeps during the night is missing my favourite part of the race. It really is the magic of Le Mans.

Beer please.

(I don't like Pimms).

(I do like champagne though........

.....and I love calvados!!).

By the way, I missed out on a Welcome to viper_man - nice to see you.
Old 30 May 2002, 18:21 (Ref:300656)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
from the aco stand with a longish lens?
Fab, about time I joined in on your "Teazer"! That picture must have been taken from one of the grandstands on the outside of the circuit. As kdr has suggested, I think it was taken from the ACO stand, bearing in mind that you say the shot is actually the top left hand corner only of the original picture.

I know it was taken from the grandstand because of your reference to anyone being able to do it at PQ or during qualifying, but not necessarily during the race - when they may not have grandstand tickets!!!

Yes?
Old 31 May 2002, 08:23 (Ref:301120)   #58
kdr
Veteran

did i miss him say it was from the top left of the original picture...?

fab in "crop and pull-up" shock to confuse us guessers!

still - i did the same with the fake moon picture
Old 31 May 2002, 16:05 (Ref:301689)   #59
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Well, Kdr, I gave the clue that the image was cut the 29th of May at 16h41... but not initialy, I have to admit, because I thought you'll find the plot very easy...

Indeed, it's taken from the grandstands outside of the track... but not ACO ones, or Durand or press grandstands either !

It's taken from one of the last rows in the first cover grandstand of the pit straight, (above the loos !). The initial image containts the parapet of the grandstand, quite a bad picture... but we had fun with it the last, hadn't we ?

So, the winners are... mmmm... Kdr, FG and Ayse, but Kdr and Ayse, I have only a small rubbish numeric camera and it's not ACO, and FG, false grandstand.

If you try from ACO, I don't think you can get the same angle... It make say to me that the point of view from that first grandstand is excellent, don't you think ?

Last edited by Fab; 31 May 2002 at 16:06.
Old 31 May 2002, 16:48 (Ref:301739)   #60
kdr
Veteran

you're right fab...sometimes the least obvious position can bring a good picture.
Old 31 May 2002, 19:05 (Ref:301800)   #61
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I haven't been to Le Mans, yet, but I will describe another experience, at Mosport. When the cars come out on the track for the first time, in your head following the car as it goes through the esses (I'm at the Mario Andretti Straight), then down the hill and back up to the hairpin, and then slowly accelerating until the noise gets louder, and then a Porsche flashes by...pure magic.
Old 31 May 2002, 19:39 (Ref:301813)   #62
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, we used to have that at Le Mans, it was called a Mazda rotary, and they came in 3's. You could hear these damm things all the way around the circuit for 24 hours non stop. Nothing absoluty nothing could break them, even Johnny Herbert failed and won.

If the noise did not get to you the paint job did.

Those were the years.....

Simon
Old 1 Jun 2002, 15:14 (Ref:302354)   #63
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Yes, we used to have that at Le Mans, it was called a Mazda rotary
Kind of that one ?

Last edited by Fab; 1 Jun 2002 at 15:15.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 03:04 (Ref:304021)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oui!

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...1mazda5501.JPG
Old 4 Jun 2002, 12:21 (Ref:304354)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Back to those magic moments......

I remember '86, my first Le Mans. It was all pretty eye-opening stuff anyway, but I particularly remember eating at one of the restaurants on the Mulsanne quite late on Saturday evening (can't remember which one it was now), not inside by the track unfortunately (had to wait until '88 for that experience!). After the meal we perched on the garden chairs and rubble and spent half an hour peering over the fence watching the cars scream past - looking forward to every Jaguar and every Mazda - I think we knew there was one on the way when it rounded Tertre Rouge!

By the time I got back home, I was well and truly hooked. Around that time I read a letter in Autosport from someone extolling the virtues of the Brickyard and the Indy 500. I suggested that if it was speed and atmosphere they wanted, they should try Hunaudieres at Midnight instead.........

Old 4 Jun 2002, 16:49 (Ref:304598)   #66
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Ayse, you can imagine what impression the thing made on my child perception ! (I was 7 the first time...)
Old 4 Jun 2002, 18:20 (Ref:304659)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How many Le Mans will it be for you this year Fab - in total?
Old 4 Jun 2002, 18:38 (Ref:304675)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
How many Le Mans will it be for you this year Fab - in total?
Not so much : you'll hate me, but I missed a lot !

Actually, I went at Le Mans in 1972, 1978, then several 24 hours motorbikes (I was young !), then in the 90'...

I found an old 78' super 8 movie at home, taken at La Chapelle... we see the start (well, a few !)... and the face of spectators, very impressed... funny and vintage taste...
Old 5 Jun 2002, 07:50 (Ref:305035)   #69
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Actually, I went at Le Mans in 1972, 1978, then several 24 hours motorbikes (I was young !), then in the 90'...
Aah, 1972, a fine year. Graham Hill completes his unique treble, and even more importantly a certain AllonFS enters the world.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 15:31 (Ref:305375)   #70
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
A certain AllonFS enters the world.
A very good year indeed !