Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Sep 2023, 11:54 (Ref:4177901)   #51
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Obviously you’d expect it around a short circuit, but 20 of the 24 Caterhams within a second in qualifying, so hopefully should be a bit closer than the Radicals!

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...sification.pdf
It really should be close, Caterhams nearly always produce fantastic racing.

Porsche Sprint Challenge managed 16 of 18 within a second (and the whole field was covered by 1.15 seconds). Mini JCWs had 17 of 19 within a second (18th place was 1.095 secs off pole, 19th 1.931 secs off pole).

Based off FP1 and FP2, I can't see all 27 BTCC cars covered by a second.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4177902)   #52
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton about half a second off the pace in both FP1 and FP2. When this kind of thing happens I wonder if they're testing various setup changes. I'd be surprised if lack of hybrid was making that much difference.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4177908)   #53
Heavyd123
Rookie

Heavyd123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or lord gow been tweaking boost for the final rounds….
Old 23 Sep 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4177910)   #54
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Sutton about half a second off the pace in both FP1 and FP2. When this kind of thing happens I wonder if they're testing various setup changes. I'd be surprised if lack of hybrid was making that much difference.
I think they may have been experimenting, but it could also be the way in which the Ford Focus makes its laptimes, perhaps mixed with the lack of hybrid and/or a lack of a tow.

As has been the case all season, the Ford Focus is not that quick in the speed traps/in a straight line - this is arguably where the regular (and IMO misjudged) calls for "reduce the boost" all fall flat on their face. The Focus seemingly makes its time in the corners (and some of that is the skill/bravery of the driver behind the wheel - Osborne isn't a terrible driver but look at where he has been all season). With Silverstone's long straights, perhaps the Ford just isn't working as well. Sutton has historically had a lack of form at Silverstone as well.

In terms of speed traps at Silverstone:
- In FP1 the Fords were 11th, 17th, 19th and 22nd at I1 and 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at the finish line.
- In FP2, the Fords were 14th, 19th, 22nd, and 24th at I1 and 13th, 19th, 20th, and 24th at the finish line.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 14:06 (Ref:4177911)   #55
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Obviously you’d expect it around a short circuit, but 20 of the 24 Caterhams within a second in qualifying, so hopefully should be a bit closer than the Radicals!

Good to see the surname Lyall back on a BTCC meeting timesheet!
Old 23 Sep 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4177914)   #56
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Top 7 finishing within a second, top 12 within two in the first race! (though may have been a safety car?)

Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4177917)   #57
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And in the first part of BTCC qualifying, all 27 cars are within I1 second, and the first 10 are within 10 hundredths. That's close.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:25 (Ref:4177918)   #58
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the one to end NAPA’s pole streak of all people… is Mikey Doble!! Not sure anybody expected that! Fair play, I assumed he’d be at the back this year but he’s done excellently all year. Good for him.

Wonder if the BTCC have a pole graphic for him!

Last edited by Evantra; 23 Sep 2023 at 15:35.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:30 (Ref:4177919)   #59
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great result for Doble and the team. Considering its age they’ve really pulled it out of the bag with the car this year.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4177923)   #60
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Great result for Doble and the team. Considering its age they’ve really pulled it out of the bag with the car this year.

Not taking anything away from Doble's achievement, especially as only the first 4 cars actually went faster in the shootout than in the main qually, but I do believe that the Astras have always gone well around the National circuit.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 07:33 (Ref:4178034)   #61
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I sincerely hope that the drivers keep to track limits better than they did during qualifying. Two drivers black flagged in Part 1, Collard and A.N.Other, and times deleted throughout the field on every lap.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4178035)   #62
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cammish questioning why they can use the green concrete at one corner and not the other. I sort of see his point but as long as you know in advance I don't really see it as an issue.

Totally agree on his point on how they are going to enforce it in the races with trains of cars going through. Not a chance they are going to be able to see if the car in the middle of a group is just over or not.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 07:58 (Ref:4178036)   #63
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Looks as though Race 1 is going to pretty wet, so I do hope that Ingram's team are fully prepared for that possibility.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4178047)   #64
Evantra
Veteran

England
Seems like it is raining / wet at the moment.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 09:56 (Ref:4178051)   #65
Evantra
Veteran

England
So Rowbottom was told to back out of his qualifying lap to make sure Sutton got through.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...ork-/10524826/
Old 24 Sep 2023, 10:40 (Ref:4178053)   #66
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that's it for Turkington
Old 24 Sep 2023, 10:48 (Ref:4178054)   #67
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn’t want to be Sutton or Ingrams strategists after this race.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 11:04 (Ref:4178055)   #68
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Sutton been on the right side of the strategy this year? My impression is he hasn't been this year at all.
If Hill wins R2 and Sutton fail to get points the title fight will become pretty close.
All in all the race was disappointingly boring. Huge shame for Doble.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4178060)   #69
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame for Doble indeed but what was the Mis communication that led to it? I heard them saying they were allowing cars 2 laps to grid from pits, maybe he has taken that to mean 2 green flag laps.

It’s also a bit strange the race started with him still running on track. I would’ve thought there may have been an aborted start procedure ?

It could be officials thought he had pitted in the confusion of other cars pitting..

Also strange itv never picked up on him missing for so long
Old 24 Sep 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4178063)   #70
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Shame for Doble indeed but what was the Mis communication that led to it? I heard them saying they were allowing cars 2 laps to grid from pits, maybe he has taken that to mean 2 green flag laps.
Don’t they sometimes do two laps under mixed conditions too? Perhaps that’s where confusion arose from.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4178064)   #71
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Don’t they sometimes do two laps under mixed conditions too? Perhaps that’s where confusion arose from.
yes they did the two laps to the grid because of mixed conditions
Old 24 Sep 2023, 11:56 (Ref:4178066)   #72
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What tyres did Turkington start on?
Old 24 Sep 2023, 12:14 (Ref:4178068)   #73
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Reminds me of Aiello at Silverstone 1999. Due to the change in conditions they did 2 laps to the grid, but because there were no team or marshals on the track he carried on for a third lap. He was sent to the back of the grid.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 12:22 (Ref:4178069)   #74
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Either Addison or Harvey said that the drivers were advised that there would be two green flag laps, however the race director then changed his mind, I assume, and they only were permitted just the one lap. A miscommunication somewhere along the line.

Peculiar in that the Porsches have been given two green flag laps.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4178071)   #75
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Either Addison or Harvey said that the drivers were advised that there would be two green flag laps, however the race director then changed his mind, I assume, and they only were permitted just the one lap. A miscommunication somewhere along the line.

Peculiar in that the Porsches have been given two green flag laps.
Porsches always get two green flag laps here and at Knockhill, due the the short lap, regardless of the weather.