Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1670316)   #26
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is. Thanks for the research Tim!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 03:29 (Ref:1670539)   #27
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Tim, you could start a thread in "My Tracks" with this. Also, given that the article gives the proposed circuit length as 3.49-miles, it should be easier to isolate what they actually have in mind.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1670562)   #28
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although slightly hesitant to post after the initial ridicule of my "AJ...will he drive" thread (thanks to racingthestreets and Robin Miller for the bail-out), I will say that I hear chances are very good that I will get to sleep in my own bed during one of the new events.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1671006)   #29
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you be a bit less cryptic Flatspot? Is a deal cooking with Larry Miller?
It could be a fantastic race: no walls, no tire barriers, high speed corners, low speed corners, a real closed track road race, WOW! I'd come out and see it if its not in the summer..........I've played golf there. (mostly in the winter) my foursome.

Can they get the turn out? Larry's track record is pretty good, if does it, my guess is it will work; the same can be said about Keven.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1671267)   #30
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Norman I understand that there are talks between Champ Car and the Miller Motorsports Park occuring on a very regular basis. I was told this week that there is an extremely high probability of it happening and that the parties are down to the decision on where it works on the calendar which has been narrowed to 2 potential dates, one as a replacement date or the other as new event. We'll see. I hope it happens.

Could they get the crowd? I think so. At the ALMS event there were about 30k spectators on Saturday (race day) with virtually no advertizing and the locals are becoming more and more interested in what's happening a the track every day.

Last edited by Flatspot; 2 Aug 2006 at 18:29.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1671278)   #31
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should be able to get decent crowds at Miller Motorsports Park as soon as word gets out as to what calliber or racing happens there.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1671324)   #32
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I've seen some Super Bike races there on TV. Looked like a good course to me.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1671350)   #33
norman-normal
Veteran

I'm guessing there are about 1 1/2 million with in sixty mi, but the "Saints" frown on Sunday excitement; could be big factor.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1671660)   #34
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
Sorry Norman I understand that there are talks between Champ Car and the Miller Motorsports Park occuring on a very regular basis. I was told this week that there is an extremely high probability of it happening and that the parties are down to the decision on where it works on the calendar which has been narrowed to 2 potential dates, one as a replacement date or the other as new event. We'll see. I hope it happens.

Could they get the crowd? I think so. At the ALMS event there were about 30k spectators on Saturday (race day) with virtually no advertizing and the locals are becoming more and more interested in what's happening a the track every day.
Damn, and knowing nothing about American geography, there was me hoping that your bed was on the doorstep of Road Atlanta
(Well, it's safe enough for DP-01 testing, why not a little thank you to the guy who built our new car than a race in his back yard? )

That Miller track didn't strike me as the best course, few too many corners and not enough passing zones (though quite a long start/finish straight, that was good)
But them I'm of the mindset that the best racetracks aren't designed, they just kind of happen....., so I'm hard to please

It would be nice for Champcar to add a new event to the schedule that wasn't a street course though, here's hoping
Old 3 Aug 2006, 05:11 (Ref:1671763)   #35
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So much for the paranoia a few years ago that champcar was going to abandon the USA.

Newman is still pushing for the NY race.

Road Atlanta could be a possibility at some point.

Looks like San Antonio will probably fly in a year or two.

And we have Phoenix as a strong possibility.

Then Utah.

Have I missed anything?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1672075)   #36
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utah? I haven't heard anyone talk about that one...
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1674295)   #37
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.grandprixarizona.com/

Website is up. So it must be official.

Also on the hompage there is a cool video (reminds me the same time at the same stage of Edmonton) with highlights of CCWS street festivals.

Layout from the website:

The sequence of 90 degree corners doesn't look that great however the rest of the track looks fine!

Last edited by luke; 5 Aug 2006 at 18:29.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1674301)   #38
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
AND also the Las Vegas race site is up:

http://www.vegasgrandprix.com/

Sorry couldn't get whole track in. The corner slightly missing is a 90 degree corner btw.

Reminds me of the first planned San Jose layout.

Nice to have the schedule to be announced soon. Just shows how much the series has improved over the past two years.

AND FROM AR1:

Quote:
Construction of a 2.33 permanent road course in a major US city is underway, and the developer wants a Champ Car race. Word is that the city is a 'very popular destination point'. Speculation is that 2007 is possible but unlikely, so 2008 would be the possible target.

Last edited by luke; 5 Aug 2006 at 18:38.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1674310)   #39
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
IIRC, the Las Vegas circuit is 2.4-miles. Has anyone seen a length for the Phoenix course (I didn't notice one given in the information on the site).
Old 6 Aug 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1674502)   #40
StefGi
Rookie

Canada
Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
StefGi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Event in Quebec

Apparently, the direction of the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières (Québec, Canada) have made a proposition to ChampCar for the venue of the serie next year. I hear that Alan Labrosse (promotor of the Montreal event) will be at Trois-Rivieres during this week-end to evaluated the possible candidature of Trois-Rivières.

Trois-Rivières is located 150 km (95 miles) from Montreal and Quebec City. The 1.6 miles circuit of Trois-Rivières will hold his 37th Grand-Prix this year. I know that promotors want to expand the length of the circuit for the 40th birthdate (in 2009), but i'm sure that this expansion can occured before this date if a major serie comes racing here.

I also hear that Quebec City is interrest to the venue of the serie, but i don't have any more detail about that.

Trois-Rivières was the first event in America to hold a race on a street circuit. In its history, Trois-Rivières have hold races for series like Can-am, Atlantique, Trans-Am, Indy Light, Grand-Am and AMLS.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1674521)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
StefGi, Watkins Glen held its first street race in 1948. Elkart Lake held its first in about 1950, and there has been an annual street race in Anchorage, Alaska at least since the mid to late 1950s. Trois Rivieres held its first event in 1967.

Now, if they do extend the course, it wouldn't be the first time. From 1978-85, the course was 2.1-miles, and I'd guess the lap speeds would be a touch faster if they used that configuration, not to mention that traffic on course would be somewhat lessened.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1692730)   #42
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According Dutch newspaper Telegraaf there will be Champ Car races at Assen from 2007 to 2011. First event is scheduled for 16 September 2007. The race is promoted by Champ Car Europe BV of Dutchman Bart Rietbergen (never heard of him). There are also races planned in Germany (Lausitz oval?) and probably Estoril (Portugal).

Source: www.telegraaf.nl
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1692785)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
A shame no races in England!

Lausitz oval races were a success though. 80,000 in attendance and that was 2003. Lauisitz is the most likely place IMO to hold the race...

Germany would be good and a arce in Holland in terms of a success. I guess wothout Lola now and other British involment, Britian isn't as relevant as it should be in North American racing IMO...
Old 26 Aug 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1692850)   #44
norman-normal
Veteran

How about Justin, Dan and Kathren??
Old 26 Aug 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1692857)   #45
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I"ve never seen so many possibilities for venues for 2007 and 2008. Funny that the Arizona web-site mentions Montreal for 2007 in the FAQ area. As far as the Trois-Rivière area has been mentionned I see this as highly unlikely. People in Montreal are festival people yes, speed lovers yes but when it comes to moving around to see events they stay home. The Québec venue is a possibility with two promoters on the ranks. One of them an ex-NHL owner (Marcel Aubut) and the other the current event organiser Alan Labrosse which is held in high esteem by Champ Car people. There are two circuits proposed for Québec City. One of them near the Old fortifications (This would make it the most beautiful venue and spectacular) ant the other in the downtown area (this would assure a decent crowd).
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1692883)   #46
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
BTW sorry guys for my bad typos in my above post... ^^^
Old 27 Aug 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1693802)   #47
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
IIRC, the Las Vegas circuit is 2.4-miles. Has anyone seen a length for the Phoenix course (I didn't notice one given in the information on the site).
I put the track into www.gmap-pedometer.com and got 2.08 miles long. You can see the track here...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=393851
Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1696131)   #48
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
A race in Ottawa is being rumored...
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1696853)   #49
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Higly unliekly as Labrosse was approached for that and he has been quoted in a local newspaper who would by far want a race in his province. We should not have a race around here before 2008.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1696884)   #50
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Also a race is poise for China and Tung is expected to be in Champ Car next year. A Chinese nationality who races in F3.