Old 28 Sep 2006, 01:32 (Ref:1721658)   #1
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Schedule released by Champ Car

Hello everyone,

Good news as Champ Car execs have released the new schedule for next year. 15 races of which four are new. 2 races are gone leaving no ovals. As much as I am pleased with most of this info I am disapointed with the fact that nothing will have in September and early October leaving a very very large gap. Not many races in key markets of the North East leaves me worried.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=10945
Old 28 Sep 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1721659)   #2
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much what was expected, except for china I really hope they can pull that one of right.

No more ovals a total letdown.

I know this came up in another thread but why cant they just head over there when they do Surfers?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1721661)   #3
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the new teams coming aboard for the new season and new tracks as well,the series will be great again,i was only thinking the other day about all the overseas races we had a few years ago and wonder if we would get more of them in the near future.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1721672)   #4
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking forward to their visit to Zhuhai! I understand they have a promoter in China and it is not the circuit itself. Hopefully the promoter will do a good job in promoting the race, make a bit of money so we can have it every year.

Even better would be to have a good Chinese driver in the race.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 02:16 (Ref:1721674)   #5
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
Peter I think the overseas races will come once all regions in the USA will have stable venues. I think places such as New York, Philly, Chicago or even Boston are big markets that need to be tapped on first. Once all big markets are filled I then attack outside markets.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1721675)   #6
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
Pretty much what was expected, except for china I really hope they can pull that one of right.

No more ovals a total letdown.

I know this came up in another thread but why cant they just head over there when they do Surfers?
I'm not a fan of Ovals however having none is even a bummer for me. There must be at least 2 or 3 that can still turn a profit???
Old 28 Sep 2006, 03:20 (Ref:1721685)   #7
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to the 2007 CCWS schedule. New cars, new tracks. I hope the 2008 schedule will be able to add more events. As it stands now the 2007schedule has over 2 months of no racing (August 19th to October 21).
That is too long between events.

The good news I will be able to be at the opening race in Vegas, in addition I will be at the Surfers race and the season closer in Phoenix.
Open wheel race fans have waited over 12 YEARS for real open wheel racing to return to Arizona.

I still remember sitting in the Phoenix International Raceway grandstand at the last CART race in 1995 realizing that I may never be able to see MY race series again in Arizona.

I am glad to see they are back. With any luck race attendance will be excellent.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1721689)   #8
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the September race will come off in NYC. Anyone seen anything more about that?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 04:00 (Ref:1721696)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It appears several options are being explored for september, so it's not over yet.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1721720)   #10
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it won't happen, but they should come back to Vancouver in September. Can anyone tell us what sites they are looking at for September?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:54 (Ref:1721734)   #11
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oschersleben or Assen maybe in that 2 month break. Where have they gotten to?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:59 (Ref:1721736)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
they have to fill that gap really dont they , 2 months is just way too long for nothing to be happening.

I hope they come up with something for it
Old 28 Sep 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1721753)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Assen and Oschersleben were scheduled for Sep 23rd and Sep 30th on the tentative schedule that Robin Miller reported about earlier, so I think it's quite obvious Champ Car and the two tracks are still discussing things and I wouldn't worry too much about that big gap.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1721931)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah that's good to hear that discussions are still going on for the European races. That way we have two more races in September and no very long break. That way we have 7 road events which can only be a good thing.
Its sad that there won't be any ovals, but lets see what happens in the future is all we can say which is a little sad.
But overall, it looks like a good solid schedule, one of the best for a while, and some of the long gaps have been filled to an extent, although we still have a month break in May between the third race and the what seem traditional now with a race a month in the last days of the season. As mentioned earlier where are all the races in the North to mid America and East? I guess there is Canada. LOL.
But if Assen is on the schedule I'll be going to my first Champ Car race, so fingers crossed.
A race in Asia? What happened to Otaru in Japan? Champ Car is popular amongst Japanese fans and ranked above the IRL consideirng there is no longer CCWS coverge there. Why China? Why not Japan? It's like racing in Iran or something.
Also I noticed Houston is no longer a night race.

Last edited by luke; 28 Sep 2006 at 11:07.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1722143)   #15
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote9999
I think places such as New York, Philly, Chicago or even Boston are big markets that need to be tapped on first.
Yes, one of these days HOPEFULLY i can see a Champ Car race that is nearby my house. The closest one in the past has been Nazareth.

EDIT: Now that i'm looking at the schedule i want to make a few observations....

They need to start earlier in the year. It is ridiculous that we have to wait until April to watch the first race...however at least they don't have that month long break between races 1 & 2.

Canada forever? I like the 3 races in Canada in a row. What happened to Montreal though? I think they should go back to Vancouver.

They should've thrown South Korea on there again...just to see if it would ACTUALLY work...

Last edited by drewdawg727; 28 Sep 2006 at 15:07.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1722165)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727

They need to start earlier in the year. It is ridiculous that we have to wait until April to watch the first race...however at least they don't have that month long break between races 1 & 2.

Canada forever? I like the 3 races in Canada in a row. What happened to Montreal though? I think they should go back to Vancouver.

They should've thrown South Korea on there again...just to see if it would ACTUALLY work...

Its not ridiculous. F1 used to start in April, MotoGP always starts in April. Lets not forget our season ends alot later then other series and 2007 it ends in December!

Montreal I don't know the full situation as I hate politics, but they can't race at Vancouver again any time soon down to the winter Olympics or something in a few years time.

I take it you're joking about South Korea lol?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1722166)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully the san antonio race will happen in 2008.

Word is they are also looking at miller park, utah and laguna seca for september.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1722200)   #18
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should consider Miller Park - the will draw from Utah, California, Arizona, Colorado and elsewhere. The track is new and up to standards. Agree the series needs an east coast venue and a race in the south east. Witht he current schedule Cleveland, Ohio is as close to the East Coast as it gets in the United States. Me being from the West Coast I like the schedule as I will get to Las Vegas, Long Beach, Portland, San Jose, Denver and Phoenix none more that 2.5 hours flight time from Seattle. I know they have tried, but they must get some races east of Cleveland on US soil IMO.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1722255)   #19
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think that in that 2-month gap that Champ Car would want to go to the east coast. With Long Beach, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Jose, and Portland the West is pretty much covered. Hopefully a Philadelphia race can materialize in September. Too bad Miami was a bust.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1722333)   #20
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I take it you're joking about South Korea lol?
Yes, that was my comic relief at my disgruntled post
Old 28 Sep 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1722359)   #21
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver is out of the question because the area that used to host the race is undergoing a massive reconfiguration to house the athletes' village and other facilities for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1722387)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I think politics pretty much nuked philly.

They might want to look at Pittsburgh.

Also Rhode Island.

New Hampshire International Speedway.

Road Atlanta.

Virginia International Raceway.

Hartford.

I think in the next 2 years if we can get something going in san antonio, 1 race in the SE and 1 in the NE, I think we'll have a good schedule.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1722431)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
'Bout Vancouver, Champ Car President Steve Johnson quoted;

Quote:
As far as Canada goes, we're even looking for possibly more expansion in Canada. We think it's a great market for us, and we're going to look obviously in Vancouver in the future again once the Olympics are over so I could see us down the road having four races Canada.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1722535)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where would they race in Rhode island, mountainstar???

Not being critical...just curious

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Sep 2006, 04:16 (Ref:1722591)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Where would they race in Rhode island, mountainstar???

Not being critical...just curious
We discussed it over at ccf a while ago. I proposed the airfield at quonset point south of providence. My father flew with the RI army national guard there for a year while at yale in the eighties. In 1986, RI had their 350th birthday celebration there with a big concert and fireworks display and I remember the crowds were a couple hundred thousand. The airfield is still there but mostly used for airshows. We pulled up some google imagery and it looked like a perfect place for an airport race. Plenty of room, ease of access and I think the northeast is an important market that needs to be exploited. It's just a suggestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset...,_Rhode_Island