Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Jan 2007, 05:11 (Ref:1821439)   #76
scramble
Rookie

scramble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
I agree Snrub.

I just found out that Scot Speed smashed his F-1 car (he apparently felt the Bourdais effect) on Thursday, and has with-drawn from Race of Champions because of injuries.

They can't very well dismiss the times by saying they were " testing new set-ups"
Is this the same effect that Will Power had on Seb in final Qualifying for the Surfers Paradise round of Champcar when Seb slammed the wall chasing Wills time.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1821453)   #77
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was more him picking up the inside tyre bundle that sent him into the wall there scramble, but you know anything to back the wps boys.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1821851)   #78
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a good comparison scramble. Bourdais really didn't seem to like the fact that Power was doing so well. I don't think he would have been bothered if it had been Wilson or PT, but Power and TA are normally not in the same league as NH and Bourdais.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1822321)   #79
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
We have been over this either in this thread or in the F1 Forum - I am too lazy to look - but Scott Speed did not "Smash" his car. He had an off. They fixed it rather quickly and he was back on the track.

As I noted at the time, if you don't spinout every once in a while you aren't trying hard enough.

Ditto for Bourdais. No offense, but Will Power is not even in the same galaxy as Bourdais as far as proven talent goes...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1822630)   #80
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
No offense, but Will Power is not even in the same galaxy as Bourdais as far as proven talent goes...
Not really had the opportunities so far though.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1822649)   #81
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I know: every Aussie is a future WDC... : )
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1822664)   #82
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Will isn't in the same galaxy as Sebastien yet. You can't really compare a non winner to a 3 time champ yet.
Will has a lot of potential and hopefully we'll see him in victory lane this year, or winner's circle? Whatever lol
Old 23 Jan 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1822682)   #83
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I know: every Aussie is a future WDC... : )
Not really what I was saying
Old 14 May 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1913190)   #84
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems Bourdais is going to have two further tests for STR, one this week at
Paul Ricard and another in July at Spa. No reason to waste precious test days if he isn't likely to be signed.

With Mateschitz saying he wants a veteran alongside a rookie in both teams next season, either Liuzzi or Speed will have to make way. Hopefully 'SeaBass' will get a race seat and his well deserved shot at F1 in '08.
Old 14 May 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1913272)   #85
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
Hopefully 'SeaBass' will get a race seat and his well deserved shot at F1 in '08.
and let someone else get a shot at winning CCWS races for once!
Old 14 May 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1913297)   #86
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep someone like me Joke
Old 15 May 2007, 16:52 (Ref:1914065)   #87
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Toro Rosso continues to be Toro Rosslow, I don't know why Sebastian would even be interested in a seat with them ---- Although I suppose if he wants to get picked up by a fast F1 team and this is his only doorway then maybe he'd spend a season at the back to have that chance.
Old 15 May 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1914171)   #88
DaPix
Rookie

DaPix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
If Toro Rosso continues to be Toro Rosslow, I don't know why Sebastian would even be interested in a seat with them ---- Although I suppose if he wants to get picked up by a fast F1 team and this is his only doorway then maybe he'd spend a season at the back to have that chance.
Sometimes it doesn't even take a whole season. IF he can consistenly get into Q2 when the current TR drivers have not, and if he can consistenly get up to top 10-12 finishes in an inferior car, then when there are openings elsewhere he might get a shot. He mainly just has to do better than others driving similar equipment. Those openings sometimes crop up toward the end of the season when the silly season gets an early start. And sometimes they come as the result of an unexpected vacancy. For SeaBass the important thing is to already be in F1 so that he isn't such an unknown quantity in that series.
Old 15 May 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1914177)   #89
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very true, and I think that his pure racing ability will show through.
Old 15 May 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1914181)   #90
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Very true, and I think that his pure racing ability will show through.
That's right, Alonso got his chance by making the Minardi go faster than it should
Old 15 May 2007, 22:19 (Ref:1914291)   #91
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has nothing left to prove in Champ Cars, he might as well take the gamble and move to STR. If he pedals it faster than his teammate and performs above expectations, maybe one of the top teams will give him a seat in '09, even if there aren't many apparent vacancies.
Old 16 May 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1914516)   #92
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Alonso was helped, as I recall, by having one F. Briatore as his manager. Not that FA did not shine, but pull is always better than push.

In order to shine in today's F1 you must have something to work with. Nothing against SB, but he will not make much difference in finishing position than the current Liuzzi/Speed tandem.
Old 18 May 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1916207)   #93
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bulldog
That's right, Alonso got his chance by making the Minardi go faster than it should
ditto on that train of thought, and who could blame him for not wanting to get in, no matter what the team --the Alonso/Webber examples showing that.
Old 24 May 2007, 19:08 (Ref:1920531)   #94
norman-normal
Veteran

SPEED TV: Second test, nearly 1/2 sec faster than Scot Speed.
Old 26 May 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1921819)   #95
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
And in this mornings free practice at Monaco, Scott Speed was faster than Alonso.

This, of course, means that Bourdais is faster than Alonso...

Lap times during F1 tests mean almost nothing when you try to compare them to those of other drivers in the team and then with the other teams. Everyone runs different programs, different tweaks of the aero, are light or heavy on fuel, yadda, yadda, yadda. This is not like comparing test times in CC, where you essentially have everyone running the same Formula Fords on steroids.

Bourdais is F1 capable, along with a large number of other guys. It will be interesting to see if Todt's connections, which got him the test, can get him a ride.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 23:57 (Ref:1926617)   #96
norman-normal
Veteran

Your getting pretty silly John, comedy is not your bag.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1926778)   #97
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Be that as it may, lap time comparisons during F1 testing without any knowledge of the program a particular driver was running is pretty pointless.

In this case, I recall that in the first test, Bourdais had not been sent out "light" as in qualifying trim and the plan for the second test was to have him do that. If they did do this likely speed would not have been in quali trim, threfore the .5 second difference in lap times you were emphasizing is not really a good barometer of which driver was the faster driver on that day.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1926954)   #98
norman-normal
Veteran

You don't seem to comprehend the difference between the first day of practice as opposed to a F1 hopeful trail. That, or you have been a criminal defense trail lawyer most of your life.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1927371)   #99
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Nice try on the occupation, but you are a bit off the mark.

Not sure what you mean about "not comprehending." I know quite well the difference between an F1 practice vs "test" session. If you are referencing my post regarding the Monaco practice where Speed was faster than Alonso, than you perhaps missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of it regarding the conclusion that Speed being faster than Alonso meant that Bourdais was faster as well...

I guess I need to use more emoticons.