Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Nov 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1765358)   #51
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
well courtney been outta openwheelers for quite a while now eh, did he race at all this season?
James Courtney returned home to Australia this year to race V8 Supercars , he has also re-signed for next year with the Stone Brothers racing Team in V8's so will not be going anywhere.

he proved a little chaotic at first with several big crashes , but by mid season he was keeping on track and the last few rounds he has been qualifying and racing well inside the top 10 (in fact he finished 3rd at the Bathurst 1000 with Glenn Seton as his co driver)

now back to the question at hand , why does everyone assume that Stoddart will put an ex minardi driver(s) in the car(s) ???

maybe someone else is waiting in the wings , Adam carroll perhaps , or Hunter Raey or could be anyone ?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1765362)   #52
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mac, I don't know why KK wasn't "allowed." Could you elaborate? He owns the series and owns at least his own team.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1765367)   #53
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One Australian is enough from a commercial point of view, and there are a lot of talented drivers queuing up to get into ChampCar, so I don't know why Stoddart would specifically hire an Australian driver.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1765369)   #54
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
now back to the question at hand , why does everyone assume that Stoddart will put an ex minardi driver(s) in the car(s) ???
I'm sure I read somewhere him saying both his drivers will be ex-Minardi
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1765375)   #55
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
oh yeah come to think of it I may have heard that as well.

Ok I will shut up now LOL
Old 13 Nov 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1765378)   #56
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
I'm sure I read somewhere him saying both his drivers will be ex-Minardi
so ryan misses out again.....

FFS
Old 13 Nov 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1765402)   #57
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
One Australian is enough from a commercial point of view, and there are a lot of talented drivers queuing up to get into ChampCar, so I don't know why Stoddart would specifically hire an Australian driver.
It'd be the same reason I'd hire an Australian
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1765413)   #58
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derrick Walker is not Australian. He's Scottish.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:30 (Ref:1765425)   #59
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we can put a squash on one thing is that nowhere stoddart is quoted as specifically ruling out a driver of australian nationality.

Courtney rolled over and quit single seaters years ago.

I don't believe the "briscoe was blocked by gore from racing in champcar" because ultimately briscoe did drive in the series.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1765431)   #60
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indycool where on earth did you get Derrick Walker being an Australian. If only we could swap him with Gore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't believe the "briscoe was blocked by gore from racing in champcar" because ultimately briscoe did drive in the series.
Yes because said person didnt have the same leverage with Russo as he did with KK.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1765459)   #61
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Before we get into a major row about whether the driver will be/should be Australian or not I would want to see more details. Exactly how many seats will be available? Who is funding? Will drivers need to bring their own $$, etc.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1765484)   #62
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
mac, I don't know why KK wasn't "allowed." Could you elaborate? He owns the series and owns at least his own team.
I've elaborated several times on these boards previously.

Let's just say it relates to the same reason you never hear Ryan Briscoe's name (at least in informed circles) considered with any serious employment opportunities at Team Australia anymore.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 03:50 (Ref:1765486)   #63
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
For a team that has no connection to the ownership of the series.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:12 (Ref:1765505)   #64
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only problem(s) mac:
1. This has yet to made public. If miller or ar1 or indycool had gotten a whiff of this they would have been all over it.
2. Who's your source?
3. If briscoe was having his career blocked by another team owner who he had no contractual ties with you'd figure he would have made that public.

Whatever the real story is, that aside, I'm sure briscoe is being considered by several teams.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1765530)   #65
scramble
Rookie

scramble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
For a team that has no connection to the ownership of the series.
Mac you have been talking this rubbish about Gore blocking Briscoe for way to long. There are a number of teams that dont have an association with Kalkovan why didnt they give him a drive earlier in the year? I would say it was more about the amount of money he wanted to drive. Team Aus is one of the smallest budget teams in the series and cant afford to pay superstar rates.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1765540)   #66
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble
Mac you have been talking this rubbish about Gore blocking Briscoe for way to long. There are a number of teams that dont have an association with Kalkovan why didnt they give him a drive earlier in the year? I would say it was more about the amount of money he wanted to drive. Team Aus is one of the smallest budget teams in the series and cant afford to pay superstar rates.
scramble, it's funny that the only times I ever see your name on the boards is defending Gore - balanced view?

Your notion of Briscoe wanting too much cash is fine in theory - doesn't quite explain how he ended up driving for the "poverty-stricken" Dreyer & Reinbold team in the IRL though ....

Back on topic ...

Does anyone know anything new about Stoddart's plans?

Last edited by mac; 14 Nov 2006 at 07:13.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1765731)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Before we get into a major row about whether the driver will be/should be Australian or not I would want to see more details. Exactly how many seats will be available? Who is funding? Will drivers need to bring their own $$, etc.
How many seats available ?
Two Minardi (if she comes off) - Funding from drivers shouldnt be needed.

Potentially two Rusport seats (depending how that comes off)

Quote:
Team Aus is one of the smallest budget teams in the series and cant afford to pay superstar rates.
Are they really. I like to see there budgest compared to DCR, CTE HVM, Conquest and even Rocketsports for that matter. TA was one of the teams that didnt require drivers bringing money.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1765761)   #68
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense, but since there has been no announcement there is only speculation as to what folks think may be out there.

Has there been any noises made by Stoddart as to when he hopes to have a program in place?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1765774)   #69
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who knows, John? Wiggins said in Miller's article at speedtv.com that they plan to run four cars but maybe three and speaks positively about their talks with Stoddart. Stoddart does NOT speak on that subject. In the same story, Miller reports Russo is gone but quotes Jeremy Dale as saying the team will stay. It doesn't say who or how. Stoddart did NOT reveal his plans at Mexico, so the thread title didn't come to pass. Time will tell.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1765782)   #70
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keith Wiggins

Do you think Stoddart has thought of an American driver?? who is coming up from the Atlantics?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1766002)   #71
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Mac pm'ed me about his source and I'm more than satisfied he knows what he's talking about.

Whatever did happen in the past, let's hope it turns good for the future for briscoe. I think he did a great job when given the chance and let's hope he gets a drive next year.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1766004)   #72
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Who knows, John? Wiggins said in Miller's article at speedtv.com that they plan to run four cars but maybe three and speaks positively about their talks with Stoddart. Stoddart does NOT speak on that subject. In the same story, Miller reports Russo is gone but quotes Jeremy Dale as saying the team will stay. It doesn't say who or how. Stoddart did NOT reveal his plans at Mexico, so the thread title didn't come to pass. Time will tell.
Time will tell. Probably the reason stoddart is not talking much is because a deal is being concluded and that takes time. It looks like stoddart and wiggins get along quite well and will be working together in some form. Wiggins also mentioned how Cedric was making progress on the sponsorship front so it sounds like CTE will still be involved.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1766337)   #73
scramble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
scramble, it's funny that the only times I ever see your name on the boards is defending Gore - balanced view?

Your notion of Briscoe wanting too much cash is fine in theory - doesn't quite explain how he ended up driving for the "poverty-stricken" Dreyer & Reinbold team in the IRL though ....

Back on topic ...

Because all of his other options ahd been blown and he didn't want to come back to Australia yet. And yes I defend Gore because I love an underdog, always have always will. Now lets get back on topic Mac old chap.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 00:58 (Ref:1766346)   #74
scramble
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

Back on topic ...

Because all of his other options ahd been blown and he didn't want to come back to Australia yet. And yes I defend Gore because I love an underdog, always have always will. Now lets get back on topic Mac old chap.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 00:59 (Ref:1766347)   #75
scramble
Rookie

Quote:
Mac pm'ed me about his source and I'm more than satisfied he knows what he's talking about.

Whatever did happen in the past, let's hope it turns good for the future for briscoe. I think he did a great job when given the chance and let's hope he gets a drive next year.
Hey Mac. PM me with your sorce or make it public.