Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 May 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2700109)   #26
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So here it is, my proposed Austin Motor Speedway.

Mine doesn't look pretty with my lack of SketchUp skills, and I haven't added a Motegi-style (partially on a bridge over the road course) 2.5 mile oval that I've been considering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D_T Texas Map elevation.png
Views:	49
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	26727

It's 4.956km (not factoring in elevation changes), and has a 25 metre elevation range from the highest point (Turn 9 in the top right) to the lowest points (T10/T11, and T14 through to T3). The heights should be visible if you can see the little numbers, and I've used red arrows to indicate the direction, but not severity of the elevation change. My lack of Sketchup skills mean that some areas are flat in the model but should be curved - T10 should fall away, as should T14 to a lesser extent. The turns between uphill straights should be uphill, too.

Possible names would be 410R for T5, apart from that I'm not sure. I feel sure there are plenty of great Texans that could get corners named after them.

EDIT : No, you can't read the little numbers.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2700227)   #27
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice track duke. Only change I'd make to it is the first section from T1-T4. I'd T1 into a tighter turn (thinking like Bahrain T1), with T2 cutting back to where T4 is now after a short straight from T1. With that, I feel the track flows a bit better and carries more speed through what could be a big banked T6.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2700308)   #28
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post
Nice track duke. Only change I'd make to it is the first section from T1-T4. I'd T1 into a tighter turn (thinking like Bahrain T1), with T2 cutting back to where T4 is now after a short straight from T1. With that, I feel the track flows a bit better and carries more speed through what could be a big banked T6.
I tried making a tighter T1, but I got the Beijing issue. It appears that it would be about as tight as Canada, which would still make it a reasonable overtaking corner - for that there's also T4 and T10.

Turn 6 could be banked I suppose. That would also increase the speed going in to T7, which would presumably be even faster.

The only issue with this facility is that there isn't a natural break for a short course, and the high speed/high downforce combination might not be so good for smaller cars. While I proposed a superspeedway to be built as part of the complex, perhaps it could be interesting for a NASCAR road race ...
Old 29 May 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2700383)   #29
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Really liking this one. As has been said before it ''screams USGP''

Anyone have any views on mines back on page 1? Could do with some feedback.
Hey, sorry nickyf1, yours must've got caught up in the sudden influx of designs!

Like the idea of the track going under the oval part, and the run-up to the high point of T5.

Only feedback I might suggest is giving T16 a longer radius, just a little smoother.

Nice track!

Also, I gotta say, the USGP is producing some of the best track designs on here. I just hope to the heavens that Tilke doesn't ruin the real one.
Old 29 May 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2700584)   #30
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duke, I'd say the only obvious cut could make for an interesting short course for a NASCAR race would be putting in a big banked sweeper from the T6-7 straight to the T10-11 straight. That would put two banked turns, but in such quick sucession would be really unique IMO. Might be too much for a F1 race, but would be cool for NASCAR.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2753208)   #31
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we have the real thing now folks:

http://www.formula1.com/assets/pdf/D...0F1%20USGP.pdf

And I have to say, the designs on here are better.

What do you guys think?
Old 1 Sep 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2753217)   #32
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T3-T9 looks good but all is said with that. Will do a modification in the other thread.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2753421)   #33
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh Dear

Talk about unimaginative,

Promotor: We need to have a long straight but the area we have means it has to be an out and back type circuit, so how do we get to the far end.
Designer: Erm dunno lots of curves that are follow the leader with a short straight that hairpins on to the long one at zero Mph making the run back a drag strip.

Promotor: we need an infield section
Designer: Yeah but the curvy out and the long straight back means we don't have much length to play with...I know a very tight corner at the end of the straight with 3 unnecessary corners so tightly packed that there isn't proper run off on the outside of the racing line of the corner at the end of the straight.

Seriously though
3 hairpins T1, T11 and T12
other corners of more than 90 degrees: T13, T15 and T20
Even the curvy section doesn't appear to have a great deal of flow to it.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2753439)   #34
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Oh Dear

Talk about unimaginative,

Promotor: We need to have a long straight but the area we have means it has to be an out and back type circuit, so how do we get to the far end.
Designer: Erm dunno lots of curves that are follow the leader with a short straight that hairpins on to the long one at zero Mph making the run back a drag strip.

Promotor: we need an infield section
Designer: Yeah but the curvy out and the long straight back means we don't have much length to play with...I know a very tight corner at the end of the straight with 3 unnecessary corners so tightly packed that there isn't proper run off on the outside of the racing line of the corner at the end of the straight.

Seriously though
3 hairpins T1, T11 and T12
other corners of more than 90 degrees: T13, T15 and T20
Even the curvy section doesn't appear to have a great deal of flow to it.
It looks to me like Infineon.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2753454)   #35
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Infineon does have some flow and if not for the ridiculous ellevation changes it has and the relative shortness it would be a fine track indeed. Could anyone try getting a good model of the track and try to first increase the size by say 1.5 and decreasing all elevation by 2-2.5. Tweak a bit with the width and you should get a great track.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2753529)   #36
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
So we have the real thing now folks:

http://www.formula1.com/assets/pdf/D...0F1%20USGP.pdf

And I have to say, the designs on here are better.

What do you guys think?
Good grief, that's an anti clockwise Tilkedrome!!! never seen one of those before!!! Oh, wait.....

BORING!!!!!!

I feel a rare track edit (these days) coming on.

Why does Tilke want more anticlockwise circuits? He's ruining Interlagos and Istanbul by building this, 'cause the drivers will be better prepared for it.

If we do have to run that layout, change the flipping direction and remove (going clockwise) the dogleg after the main straight , T7 and T4. At least then it'll run like an upscaled Aida with some flow!!
Old 2 Sep 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2753681)   #37
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
resir014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that's what you get if you mix the airport runways of the Tilkedrome with some flowing but boring med-high speed corners. Designed by Tilke.

F1 circuits of today makes no sense whsoever, mainly because:
1. Track widths that are constant throughout the track, and are really wide.
2. Tarmac run-off areas that are larger than Wimbledon. Clearly we don't need that much.
3. Most of today's tracks always go through an airport runway, then a sharp hairpin, then some flowing, but useless corners.
4. Too much glamour put into the track. They always put spectator's happiness at first place, instead of putting some challenge to the drivers.
5. Hermann Tilke.

Why should they waste money on some more useless ****? There are still loads more of better racetracks in the USA.

Last edited by resir014; 2 Sep 2010 at 15:55.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2753697)   #38
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Quintin, I'm a bit confused. The elevation changes at Sears Point (Infineon) are great! They make a number of the signature spots at that track. The Caroiusel is excellent. The track has very good flow, especially if you use the old back stretch (which does not follow the drag strip the whole way down), and omit that stupid chicane before Turn 10.

And actually, Sears Point isn't really that short. By F1 terms, sure, but I'm not talking about overblown Tilkedromes here. The sportscar circuit at Sears Point is 2.52 miles (or 2.53 if you use the "Budweiser Bottleneck" on the exit of the Turn 7 hairpin). Mid Ohio is 2.258 miles (or 2.4 if you use the old "Kyehole" turn). Laguna Seca is 2.238 miles. Portland is 1.964 miles. Road Atlanta is 2.54 miles. Mosport is 2.459 miles. Lime Rock is only 1.53 in its original form. And Mont Tremblant is 2.65 miles to the lap.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2753738)   #39
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
(I agree that Sears Point's straights are all too short, but the ridiculous height changes are fine. Scale the straights by 1.5 without changing radius of the corners and voilá.)

Based on tlongman's back hairpin design, I've tweaked the rest of the corners. The hairpin itself is the opposite of a double corner: the entrance is a soft corner which later tightens and the exit is softer again. This allows brave drivers to dive to pass, but give chance to the overtaken driver to hit the apex better and re-overtake through the inside of the exit.

Then the backstraight isn't straight anymore, I only made the corner a little tighter than tlongman's. The back straight's corner is much less tight, so overtakes are safer and more natural. The twisty zone has softer corners too - motorcycle fans will like them a lot. Then the Istanbul's turn 8 clone is longer and the next corner is much faster, so the last corner of the course (also less tight) is a proper ovartaking spot. Tilke should realise that good last corners make good race finishes.

I also added bypasses to the chicane and the twisty section. I forgot to add an optional chicane in the middle of the backstraight (to the outside). In addition, I modified the shortcuts to make the short tracks more interesting. But when I looked at that part of the track, I knew that I had to go to the next level.
Attached Thumbnails
austin circuit_ nbu.jpg  
Old 2 Sep 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2753739)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Some of you said that the track should be run clockwise. I disagree. But I agree that there had to be a major change. I chose to add a bridge to add 8-figure layouts. This killed the double short tracks, which is a pity, but in exchange adds more short track configurations.
Attached Thumbnails
austin circuit_ nbu_bridge.jpg   austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_a.jpg   austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_b.jpg  

austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_c.jpg   austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_d.jpg  
Old 2 Sep 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2753741)   #41
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
More layouts here.
Attached Thumbnails
austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_e.jpg   austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_f.jpg   austin circuit_ nbu_bridge_g.jpg  

Old 2 Sep 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2753847)   #42
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Quintin, I'm a bit confused. The elevation changes at Sears Point (Infineon) are great! They make a number of the signature spots at that track. The Caroiusel is excellent. The track has very good flow, especially if you use the old back stretch (which does not follow the drag strip the whole way down), and omit that stupid chicane before Turn 10.

And actually, Sears Point isn't really that short. By F1 terms, sure, but I'm not talking about overblown Tilkedromes here. The sportscar circuit at Sears Point is 2.52 miles (or 2.53 if you use the "Budweiser Bottleneck" on the exit of the Turn 7 hairpin). Mid Ohio is 2.258 miles (or 2.4 if you use the old "Kyehole" turn). Laguna Seca is 2.238 miles. Portland is 1.964 miles. Road Atlanta is 2.54 miles. Mosport is 2.459 miles. Lime Rock is only 1.53 in its original form. And Mont Tremblant is 2.65 miles to the lap.
You have reason to be confused. I think that a circuit with slightly less elevation and larger in size but further an exact copy of Infineon would be the perfect track when you take it by the overtaking aspect. Of course that's all hypothetically and at best can be tried in rFactor but nothing more. I wouldn't want Infineon to change, ever.