Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Dec 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2085102)   #76
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there are also some others which are involved, but I'm not sure on that.

At least it'll mean that racing and rallycross will continue at Lydden for the forseeable.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 22:20 (Ref:2085130)   #77
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pat has sold his business and moved to Devon. He is intent on upgrading Lydden, but things will be pretty much the same next year (event wise). The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed there are five rallycross events listed. Club car racing is going ahead, with a very likely return by the BRSCC for an August date. There are areas of the circuit which will receive attention and he is aware of the paddock being one of them.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:16 (Ref:2085345)   #78
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Ollie O'Donovan is also involved in the purchase of the lease.
For anybody who does not know who Ollie is, he is London based Irishman. He is a former rally driver, who started rallycrossing 18 months ago, and has just won the 2007 MSA British Rallycross Champion.
He was involved in setting up the London Irish Motorsport Club, and his company is The Shannon group.

clicky links
The Shannon Group
London Irish Motorsport Club

It has to be great news for Lydden that these two guys have got control. Anything Ollie does he gives 100% commitment to, and generally makes a great success of, and Pat is such a larger than life character with a unique way of putting things, that people listen to what he has to say and usually act on it.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:12 (Ref:2085432)   #79
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank **** for that.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2085444)   #80
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to wish the new lease holder every success with their new venture at the circuit I'm sure given Mr Doran's background that Rally Cross will feature heavly in the forth coming programe of events for 2008 as well other car racing events.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:36 (Ref:2085448)   #81
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear Hear, all the best Pat and Lydden
Old 10 Dec 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2085957)   #82
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a press release or any official announcement does anyone know? I was just interested in the detail of the agreement, e.g. how long is the lease? Is it conditional upon the circuit renewing / retaining planning permission for racing?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:01 (Ref:2086399)   #83
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Subject: BMCRC New Office Address

We are able to announce today that the lease at Lydden Circuit (owned by McLaren) has been acquired by a consortium of RallyCross people. They will be taking the circuit on as a fully operating racing venue into 2008. We are pleased to also confirm that the permanent staff at the circuit, Manager Pauline Santer, Alan Rees and William Wells are being retained by the new consortium to continue their operational work.
The BMCRC Board would like to take this opportunity to publically thank them for their continued efforts and loyalty over the years.

The offices of The British Motorcycle Racing Club will move over the next month and a new office will be operational from 7th January 2008...

BMCRC
Unit B5, Seedbed Centre
Davidson Way
Romford
Essex RM7 0AZ

Mike Dommett CEO Bemsee
Old 11 Dec 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2086666)   #84
David Walmsley
Rookie

David Walmsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to the new lease holders of Lydden Hill, if it is Pat and Ollie it has to be good news for motorsport.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 16:45 (Ref:2087321)   #85
acer
Rookie

acer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the motorsport news today, Lydden story is on front cover and on page 2! tells us pretty much everything we need to know, good luck to Pat!
Old 12 Dec 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2087395)   #86
Calex
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
Calex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer
Saw the motorsport news today, Lydden story is on front cover and on page 2! tells us pretty much everything we need to know, good luck to Pat!
Just wish my copy had arrived on time oh well maybe tomorrow
Old 29 Dec 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2096283)   #87
Keith Graham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hythe,Kent
Keith Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Luck to you all at Lydden Circuit. I once belonged to Maidstone & Mid Kent Motor Club in the `60`s and did my first marshalling for road races in the autumn of 1964. I have just been looking through my old photo`s of late 1967 That`s when Chessons Drift did not exist. My workmates girlfriends father was Chesson so of course I was always down there to help out.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2096288)   #88
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come back down...
Old 3 Jan 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2098588)   #89
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great news. I first went to Lydden Hill in '68 with my father. It's hardly changed at all since then! A proper good old fashioned clubbie circuit.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2098635)   #90
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Graham
I once belonged to Maidstone & Mid Kent Motor Club
I'm currently a member of MMKMC

Quote:
I have just been looking through my old photo`s of late 1967 That`s when Chessons Drift did not exist.
Is there any chance you could scan some of those in and post them? They'd make interesting viewing.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2098784)   #91
Keith Graham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hythe,Kent
Keith Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ddenLate67.jpg

Hi, I just put some `60`s photo`s together ,not very interesting but nevertherless old!! I expect most remember that after the start of a Rallycross they used to cut across the grass right next to the marshalls post ,back onto the tarmac and after going up the hill and down again went between two long banks (which you can just make out in the distance) then went down the centre of the infield only to join the tarmac again for the finish on the bottom straight. This went on while Chessons Drift was being constructed with the slippery chalk surface. Then it reverted back to as we know it now. The outer of the two banks I mentioned was reduced in length and left a huge mound which as we KNEW as Mabbs Bank. Geoff Mabbs was the first one to hit it in his Morris 1800 in about 1968 with dier results. I have read that some have said why put a bank in a race track, but the bank was there before the track and was only kept to slow the cars up before the dirty infield. These photo`s are during Road Races so no muddy cars. To BertMk2 do you remember a Derek Everett from the club, he must be about 76yrs now. He introduced me to motor sport back in 1964. He and his wife used to partly run the road race meetings at Brands and Lydden in the mid 1960`s His wife was mainly at race control on the phones etc. Regards Keith
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2098802)   #92
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're really interesting Keith. Interestingly it looks like the bank to the first corner has been raised subsequently... Certainly a lot lower than it is now.

Good work.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2098809)   #93
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
The local paper here, The Kentish Gazette today,
has stated Pat has purchased a 5 year Lease from McClaren, who did not want to sell the freehold. It states Pat and a consortium wished to purchase the freehold but McClaren refused.
It continues, major improvements will be made; complete resurface of the Paddock; replacement of existing toilet blocks; and a new access road from Lydden traffic lights;
Drifting makes its debut on September 20th.
3 British Rallycross rounds.
2 Supermoto meetings. (Rallycross on 2 wheels)
Semsec meetings;
Plus more
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2098812)   #94
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Pretty much the best result there could have been then without Pat buying the freehold!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2098819)   #95
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It gives us 5 years of racing which has been so much in the balance for years.
In the past all gate money has gone to McClaren, so lets hope with advertising from the consortium, locals here realise the tracks still here and running. Some die hards remember when they shut the gates on raceday because there was no more room!
Good to see Pauline and the crew who have worked tirelessly for years are still going to be there.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2098828)   #96
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
The place wouldn't be the same without the people that run it.

I'll always remember the day I parked in Pauline's parking spot by mistake
Old 3 Jan 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2098838)   #97
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Great news. I first went to Lydden Hill in '68 with my father. It's hardly changed at all since then! A proper good old fashioned clubbie circuit.
And that, in a nutshell, is precisely why we love it!

Agreed, Pat has got to make it earn its keep (especially if he has to fund the improvements mentioned), but I'm not too sure about the "drifting"...... Still needs must, and perhaps we could then show the young "drifters" (is that the right term?) some real racing and rallycross once they have got to know the circuit. Some might even take up racing and rallycross themselves...

On the question of improvements, Pat has a 5 year lease so any work he does will surely have to have a payback period of less than that in order to be financially viable. Also does the planning permission issue come into it? If for example there were only one year left on the planning, wouldn't it be a high risk strategy to invest cash for improvements if there were no guarantee of the permission being renewed? Presumably he has thought this all through, but I would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2098858)   #98
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ddenLate67.jpg

Hi, I just put some `60`s photo`s together
Great stuff. That white Anglia with black stripe in one of those shots..Trevor Clapton springs to mind. Think he did mostly Brands and Lydden meetings back then. Blimey, is it really 40years!
Old 4 Jan 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2099108)   #99
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Some commercial leases have a continuation option for renewal at least I know the one on my shop did before I bought the freehold so he can probably renew in 5 years but I guess it depends on the terms.

CTCRC are there in 2008.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2099109)   #100
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To BertMk2 do you remember a Derek Everett from the club, he must be about 76yrs now.
It's not a name I know but then again the photos pre-date me by some distance so I'm not totally surprised - do you know if he's still involved in any way? Thanks for putting the photos up though - very enlightening

Jon - You parked in Paulines space I bet that's a mistake you won't make again