Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 27 May 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2699154)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Your USGP Design

Ok, so we know it's meant to be held in Texas in 2 years time.

What designs do you have in mind?

I mentioned earlier i'd love to see a combination of classic USGP corners, mixed with some new. I've made a nice OTT (blatantly too long) version at work just to get things started. I won't put down the turn names/tracks i've nicked them from this time, although I have left the turn numbers in for a bit of a clue I havn't reversed any of the turns, they are all being run as they were in their original capacity. The only turn i've added is the final long long sweep.

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
us track final.jpg  
Old 27 May 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2699216)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I present "Dayseca Park" (The name is a cross between Daytona and Laguna Seca)

Done in literally 10 minutes. Will do another one thats better - I would like to see an American track that's fast more than anything else - to represent the speedy ovals that are all over the place there.

EDIT: Turn 13 is Grandstand Girder - bit of a mistake there
Attached Thumbnails
Dayseca_Park.JPG  
Old 27 May 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2699283)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Hell yeah, that's awesome. Alot of character there. Unique shape, interesting combos. Love it.

Selby
Old 27 May 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2699355)   #4
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dayseca looks like a great track. The Daytona Chicane has a lot of Casio Triangle to it. I'm working on something the American market might like a lot. The area needed is quite large but seeing as the area is quite big there shouldn't be much problem.
Old 27 May 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2699357)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm working on something that will be a mix of the old-school layout and a new-school look. Did I mention my downhill and/or curved braking zone fetish?

EDIT : A few words as a teaser. 4596km before I factor in elevation. Fourteen turns, eight right and six left.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 27 May 2010 at 16:24.
Old 27 May 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2699401)   #6
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
duke, i know the 7KM limit is advisory, but 4600KM isn't going to be legal.
Old 27 May 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2699403)   #7
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, everybody!

Always nice to hear such lovely praise

Looking forward to your design, quintin03 and duke_toaster!
Old 27 May 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2699414)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
Shame, I was going to fuel them up in Miami and let them race to Seattle

Apologies in advance about not being able to do elevation changes in corner, I tried it and it would up providing anti-bank on lots of corners ...
Old 27 May 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2699459)   #9
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
It's not done yet, I need to do more detail and such but you know what it's like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bi-loop oval.png
Views:	46
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	26713
The layout F1 would use is the layout the arrows indicate. One of the great features is that many different disciplines could run during a weekend on multiple courses at the same time. For instance when the Grand Am race on the outer course and USF2000 qualifying on the short oval have finished, Indycar can run on the Bi-Loop oval while free driving is conducted on the club track. Just an example though, I don't expect such schedules to happen. Another option is using both pitlanes for different series. Example: the Sprint cup uses the outer pitlane while Nationwide and Trucks share the inner pitlane. This would save time when teams from one series have to move out their pits to make place for the next team as now they don't at all or have a whole race to do that.

The grid is on the top infield straight. Not very practical but it's the best possible. It is perfectly conform the regulations in Apendix O.

I know the track isn't the best but I can't give it much elevation as to the east of Austin there's barely any. To the west there are few roads yet strangely many people want to live in the hills there. I'm thinking of just south of Garfield down the road from the airport. Widen that road 'till the airport and we're done.

Just so you know this design is based upon a patented design I did not make. The only section that is based upon that design is the Bi-oval but that is most of the track. The person that made that design has made many other designs for even crazier ovals and rovals. And those rovals aren't like Indy, they're like ovals with turns to the left and right. If you want I can make you contact him. Just PM me.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2699515)   #10
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
And ofcourse I forget something standard as lenght. I don't know the lenght of the F1 track but I know the outer oval is just over 2.5 Mi/4 km so I guesstimate the length for F1 to be some 4.6 km. A bit on the short side but good enough.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2699518)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	USGP.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	26714

My half assed attempt.
Old 27 May 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2699576)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Tathrim, 3.5km is the technical minimum for an F1 circuit. Honestly, anything above 4.0-km should be fine.

Duke, put in the elevation changes anyway. Sepang, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Istanbul don't technically abide by that advisory, so why should you?
Old 27 May 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2699578)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tried to be semi-realistic, while at the same time trying to be ''me''

''banked'' run-off areas would be used in some of the more high speed corners to shave speed off of spinning cars (like T14/15)

NOTE - that pink circle is meant to be Orange..
Attached Thumbnails
TGP.png  
Old 28 May 2010, 01:58 (Ref:2699656)   #14
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my first go at it. The idea behind the track is to retain the unique aspect that Indianapolis brought (The banked turn) with good overtaking spots and a fast sequence.

The track has two long straights, with the front stretch being just over 1km, and the back straight being just over 700m before turn 8. The "Esses" 3-5 go downhill then back up into T6, peaking at T7. The back straight runs down hill through T8 and into T9.
Obvious overtaking opportunities exist in T2, T7 and T9, with the exit for each essential to the lap (as T2 enters the Esses, T7 the fast back straight, and T9 accelerating to the fast T10 chicane).
Turn 8 is banked at 10°, with no runoff. SAFER barriers would be installed because T8 is intended to be a unique aspect to the USGP and would give US fans a very high speed turn with grandstands surrounding it.
The final section has the track dive downhill into T11 (a possible overtaking spot for the daring), before coming back uphill to T12. This would provide those in the main stands overview of this section as well.

Track Stats:
Turns: 13
Length: 4.950km/3.07mi
Longest Straight: 1.1km (Front Straight)
Attached Thumbnails
Austin.jpg  

Last edited by Litchfield; 28 May 2010 at 02:07.
Old 28 May 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2699768)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Tathrim, 3.5km is the technical minimum for an F1 circuit. Honestly, anything above 4.0-km should be fine.

Duke, put in the elevation changes anyway. Sepang, Bahrain, Shanghai, and Istanbul don't technically abide by that advisory, so why should you?
I will. The issue that I discovered was that my Sketchup skills didn't match up to falling away corners (one turn is a little homage to Corkscrew). Also, I'm going to wind up having trouble with my sloping pit straight, but I think I'll be able to resolve that one.
Old 28 May 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2699775)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post
This is my first go at it. The idea behind the track is to retain the unique aspect that Indianapolis brought (The banked turn) with good overtaking spots and a fast sequence.

The track has two long straights, with the front stretch being just over 1km, and the back straight being just over 700m before turn 8. The "Esses" 3-5 go downhill then back up into T6, peaking at T7. The back straight runs down hill through T8 and into T9.
Obvious overtaking opportunities exist in T2, T7 and T9, with the exit for each essential to the lap (as T2 enters the Esses, T7 the fast back straight, and T9 accelerating to the fast T10 chicane).
Turn 8 is banked at 10°, with no runoff. SAFER barriers would be installed because T8 is intended to be a unique aspect to the USGP and would give US fans a very high speed turn with grandstands surrounding it.
The final section has the track dive downhill into T11 (a possible overtaking spot for the daring), before coming back uphill to T12. This would provide those in the main stands overview of this section as well.

Track Stats:
Ahhh I tell you what, I think this is narrowly my favourite.

It just screams US GP! It also looks quite unique on the calendar. There's some really fun turns here and I think it'd create some good racing. Great job.

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2699803)   #17
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is just a quick one, but I quite like it. 21 corners, no idea what the track length would be but you get the idea:
Attached Thumbnails
racetrack1.jpg  
Old 28 May 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2699804)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Oh yes, this is also a stunning design. Great combinations of corners there. The whole track just looks a boat load of fun. The first section is almost Barcelona esque (in fairness, it's the best section of that track, so don't that take offensively ). The next section is a littlte bit Suzuka, and the final sector would be incredible fun with some undulation.

Great work, keep them coming, guys.

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 10:04 (Ref:2699807)   #19
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
yes selby i quite agree, elements of catalunya and suzuka in my design. If you imagine it on the south side of a hill, with north being directly 'up' on the page, the track would be a rollercoaster like I intended-especially turns 6-7-8 and turn 19.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2699833)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ahh yes I see it - that'd be fantastic.

I desperately need a means of creating these on GP2, then I could select some and recreate them for everyone to play on. I just desperately need a bit of help starting and i'll be away

It's a great sensation creating a potentially awesome track - I can imagine it'd be even better actually throwing a car round it at high speed... Artificially, of course!

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2699896)   #21
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
What a shame none of the locations in Austin that fit have such hills. Great design indeed. The exit of T15 might have little run off though. Take a bit of T17 and move T18, move T11 and you're done. A safe and challenging track anyone would want to drive.
Old 28 May 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2699932)   #22
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
here is a safer version based on quintin's suggestions.

Ive also included a new optional extension inbetween what were turns 10 and 11 (now 9 and 12) to slow the cars down through the new 12 if need be, with run off for that whole section not huge due to the paddock and the pits. but a modifed and minimised turns 10 and 11 still exist minimising the need for run off there.
Attached Thumbnails
racetrack2.jpg  
Old 28 May 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2700000)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield View Post

Track Stats:
Really liking this one. As has been said before it ''screams USGP''

Anyone have any views on mines back on page 1? Could do with some feedback.
Old 28 May 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2700055)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
Why, they could have the whole F1 season on one venue, in one lap - would cost helluva time and money for the teams

bio
Old 28 May 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2700058)   #25
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, I like all of the designs a lot!

bio