Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2756365)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Influenza raceway

So here is the latest of my designs, named due to the fact that most of it has been done whilst suffering from the Flu after being at Knockhill over the Weekend for the BTCC meeting.

Made up of several possible layouts and including the option to run an approximate 1 mile race school circuit whilst the main Southern section is being used mostly likely for testing though it could be races as well.

I have the design running anti clockwise though it has already been pointed out that it wouldn't take much modification to have it run clockwise. The race school also runs anti clockwise.

4 images below showing the overall layout with the darker gray indication the full GP layout.
Attached Thumbnails
29_8 Complete Top.jpg   29_8 complete angle1.jpg   29_8 complete angle2.jpg  

29_8 complete short.jpg  
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2756368)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Double posting becuse I can

I haven't mentioned lap distances because I had them all worked out prior to completing the design. The main obvious change to the final design is moving the race school paddock into the middle

For reference and because I for got to mark it on at least on of the layouts, the main straight just above the main paddock is 776m or 953m using the long first sector.
The different layouts and their lengths are shown below.

As always comments criticisms and possible edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
29_8 split circuits short.jpg   29_8 split circuits long.jpg   29_8 interm Short.jpg  

29_8 interm long.jpg   29_8 GP short.jpg   29_8 GP Full.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 8 Sep 2010 at 20:06.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2756481)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this track very much.Makes a lot of sense, I like the long layout, awesome.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2757599)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd absolutely love this track if it were running in clockwise direction. The run from the s/f-line to the hairpin would be a blast. In the current direction, it's a good track, but not as good as it could be. Please consider turning it around. Thanks.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2757677)   #5
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I'd absolutely love this track if it were running in clockwise direction. The run from the s/f-line to the hairpin would be a blast. In the current direction, it's a good track, but not as good as it could be. Please consider turning it around. Thanks.
Great track - fantastic in fact, but I have to agree with Yannick, I'd want the curvy section of the track at the beginning, and the slightly more technical bit near the end, so clockwise would make it a perfect track for me.

Fantastic design though, and a great effort.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:59 (Ref:2758472)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Great track - fantastic in fact, but I have to agree with Yannick, I'd want the curvy section of the track at the beginning, and the slightly more technical bit near the end, so clockwise would make it a perfect track for me.

Fantastic design though, and a great effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

I have to warn you both that's dangerous in fact

If ran CW then the now T8 would create a dangerous zone, where drivers would come to a 45 degree angle at close to triple digit speeds and there's just not enough space for a safe trip to the kitty litter without hitting some kind of barrier(hard) also I've seen bikes and cars wrecking in some weird and random ways getting past barriers, I don't like to see some kind of debree reaching riders coming hard on the next straight, if someone can point out how wide is that area of the track, is it at least 40m?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2758713)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here si a close up of the area. Hopefully the dimensions are clear enough.

The sketchup file is too large to post as is, So I've "zipped" it and posted i below for everyones viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
29_8 close up.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 29_8.zip (955.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 13 Sep 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2758852)   #8
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes I see, because of the other bit of track prevents any extra run-off if run clockwise, so fair enough, that is a bit too close for comfort!!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2759074)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
If we assume a track width of 10-12 meters, then the space available is around 22-26 meters more or less, Make that 32-38 meters in straight line from the point usually the racer loses it , coming from a third gear corner may not be enough, so you have to use all kinds of airfence for motorcycles and tire barrier for cars, it may be a good idea to have some asphalt run-off or some hi performance decelerating material + the required barriers to avoid real tragedies, squeezing those 24 meters even more. You can either live with that and risk the racers(heck they will race anyways) or you can straighten up that section and eliminate the source of the problem completely, but only with risking of changing the original soul of the circuit, that's only a aseptic solution.You can also invert the corner, now that I think about it..

Old 14 Sep 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2759241)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
LuiggiSpeed, I think that you are misjudging things slighly on the short side.

I'll try and redo that section the other way tonight, I don't have time to do the whole circuit though.
Once done I think you'll be surprised at how much room there actually is.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2759366)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Luiggi for pointing out that important detail. I guess I've been out of the track design "business" for too long to notice it myself.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2759530)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've made no changes to the track itself, I've simply redone the gravel trap for the other direction.

To be honest I feel I've actually gone a bit over the top and it could easily by 25m of gravel rather than 30 without causing endangerment.

I've also added a brake failure from turn in point distance, and for LuiggiSpeed a distance should someone highside from mid corner.
Attached Thumbnails
29_8 otherway.jpg  
Old 20 Sep 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2761725)   #13
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I've made no changes to the track itself, I've simply redone the gravel trap for the other direction.

To be honest I feel I've actually gone a bit over the top and it could easily by 25m of gravel rather than 30 without causing endangerment.

I've also added a brake failure from turn in point distance, and for LuiggiSpeed a distance should someone highside from mid corner.
I see your point and while you do, in fact have 25 -30 mts of run off there,for the speed at which bikes can reach the corner that is too little, and still danger of vehicle intrusion , I rather run it the other direction or modify a little bit , let's err on the safe side, I have watched lot's of gravel trap excursions and you can in fact reach the barrier pretty easy and the bike can even go over the barrier(I've seen that 100's of times) with ugly consequences. otherwise t's a master track,as always are SBF tracks.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2761782)   #14
snowdog140
Rookie

England
Coventry, England
snowdog140 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me a bit of Croft, but a very good track