Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3874964)   #2701
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I just spotted something on Facebook. RCIB Insurance Racing running a conpeteion to win a signed Aiden Moffat Laser Tools cap. Maybe a change in squad for RCIB branding this term?
They've sponsored Moffat for years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3874965)   #2702
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
He'll be "networking" at the show, as a guy I know that once raced in TOCA supports used to say, whenever he turned up to events or race meetings without a drive. 😁
Very much so, they’ll be a few others from last years grid ‘networking’ too
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3874966)   #2703
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I just spotted something on Facebook. RCIB Insurance Racing running a conpeteion to win a signed Aiden Moffat Laser Tools cap. Maybe a change in squad for RCIB branding this term?
'posted 6th February 2017:' Moffat reunited with RCIB Insurance
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3874970)   #2704
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was a dealer network supported job like the HMS Alfa. No top brass involved.
Errmm... yup?
Old 9 Jan 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3874985)   #2705
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
PMR's was a Vauxhall Motors Limited supported deal, not a dealer network.
Yes, although bizarrely, I've never seen any publicity from Vauxhall on Facebook / Twitter etc since they reentered with PMR. If I was Vauxhall, I would make the most of the BTCC publicity. It's almost ad though they are unaware that they have a BTCC team!
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3875002)   #2706
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
PMR's entry was through a partnership between Automotive Brands (owners of PMR) and Vauxhall Motors UK (a fully owned subsidiary of Opel).

HMS's entry was through a partnership between Handy Motorsport (at the time) and the Alfa Romeo UK Dealer Council (an independent 'club' that also operates as an owner's club, and has no financial ties or ownership from FCA).

To me the distinction is clear -
PMR's entry on the grid had financial input from PSA>Opel>Vauxhall. HMS's had no financial input from FCA>Alfa Romeo.

Well I saw far more promotion of the Alfa brand from Rob Austin, SImon Belcher and HMS in 2018 than ive seen of Vauxhall from anyone connected to PowerMaxed since the initial press release just over 2 years ago!

I saw more Alfa flags in the paddock and logos on the car than I ever have Vauxhall on the PMR cars, and likewise more on social media from Alfa Romeo UK promoting the privateer team than Vauxhall actually getting any promotion out of having a "works" car

I would wager if you asked someone in marketing at Vauxhall how the BTCC is working out for them they wouldnt have a clue what you were talking about
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3875003)   #2707
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
Yes, although bizarrely, I've never seen any publicity from Vauxhall on Facebook / Twitter etc since they reentered with PMR. If I was Vauxhall, I would make the most of the BTCC publicity. It's almost ad though they are unaware that they have a BTCC team!

Exactly this - i think aside from the badge on the grill, there is barely a Vauxhall logo on either the cars or team wear!
At the rounds ive managed to go to in recent years there is generally a trade stand for BMW - sometimes Honda but not so much last year, a local MG dealer and a local Subaru dealer - obviously both small time in the UK but they are showing representation. PMR have a truck selling their own T-shirts and bottle of car shampoo but NO Vauxhall link up whatsoever
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3875005)   #2708
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you all need to realise that PSA bough Vauxhall/ Opel to close it down in the medium term, don't exepct anything from them otherwise

short term it's just about sucking up any usefull technologies and perhaps some other assets

Last edited by porsche962fan; 9 Jan 2019 at 17:32.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:45 (Ref:3875007)   #2709
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Well I saw far more promotion of the Alfa brand from Rob Austin, SImon Belcher and HMS in 2018 than ive seen of Vauxhall from anyone connected to PowerMaxed since the initial press release just over 2 years ago!

I saw more Alfa flags in the paddock and logos on the car than I ever have Vauxhall on the PMR cars, and likewise more on social media from Alfa Romeo UK promoting the privateer team than Vauxhall actually getting any promotion out of having a "works" car

I would wager if you asked someone in marketing at Vauxhall how the BTCC is working out for them they wouldnt have a clue what you were talking about
Vauxhall weren't looking at the racing aspect of pmr as their marketing focus. It's the commercial vehicle tie-in with pmr products they focus on. The btcc is just a peripheral activity.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3875009)   #2710
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
you all need to realise that PSA bough Vauxhall/ Opel to close it down in the medium term, don't exepct anything from them otherwise

short term it's just about sucking up any usefull technologies and perhaps some other assets
You couldn't be further from the truth. The UK factories? Yes, I can see them going. But the brands and the business? No chance.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3875010)   #2711
porsche962fan
Veteran

if those brands and business were so profitable GM wouldn't have sold them in the first place
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3875014)   #2712
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
GM has not, and arguably never had, a clue about Europe. PSA very much values the Opel brand, many Germans (and others) regard it very highly.

Vauxhall is a massive brand here in the UK. People buy them and then buy them again. People buy them because their dad drives one. And his dad before him.

If PSA killed the brand, many in the UK would see it as the nasty Frogs, and would not buy a PSA product instead. GM considered ditching the brand and using Opel throughout Europe, but concluded it would be seen as the Krauts taking over. Again, recipe for customer loss.

As it is, the only British made Vauxhall car is the Astra. The rest are from far and wide - Spain, Germany and Korea to name three. Considered British by many many members of the public though.

Likely Ellesmere Port will go without Govt support. If the Unions don't wise up it'll go regardless, their idiotic pre Christmas strike has definitely put closure high on the list of "considering to do".
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3875018)   #2713
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Source?
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3875023)   #2714
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
GM has not, and arguably never had, a clue about Europe. PSA very much values the Opel brand, many Germans (and others) regard it very highly.
sorry but I know many germans and they say Opel is bottom of the barrel of german cars, you get one mostly because you can't afford something better

Opel was regarded well only until the early 90s then they started to go downhill with quality and image

at the very best in the future you wil get PSA products restyled a bit as Opel// Vauxhall but that's about it
Old 9 Jan 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3875037)   #2715
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I know that is not the plan. Common platforms, common engines, common running gear. But very different cars aimed at very different people. For example compare a Vauxhall Grandland X and Pug 3008. Very different image, Underneath the skin they are blood brothers. Drive, ride, styling are worlds apart.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3875046)   #2716
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
sorry but I know many germans and they say Opel is bottom of the barrel of german cars, you get one mostly because you can't afford something better

Opel was regarded well only until the early 90s then they started to go downhill with quality and image

at the very best in the future you wil get PSA products restyled a bit as Opel// Vauxhall but that's about it
Alfisti or porsche962fan, wonder who most thread followers will choose to believe
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3875047)   #2717
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
if those brands and business were so profitable GM wouldn't have sold them in the first place
Vauxhall never made a profit since 2009.It was only last year after being bought out that they actually started making a profit.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3875052)   #2718
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Vauxhall never made a profit since 2009.It was only last year after being bought out that they actually started making a profit.

To be fair, without forensic accountancy, especially with international companies, it is very difficult to tell whether profits accrue, as they are adept at making inter-company charges to ensure that profits actually materialise in the most advantageous tax regime.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3875060)   #2719
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trade Price Cars at Autosport

Spoke to some of Jake Hill's supporters - great to see that Trade Price Cars Racing will have the 2019 Audi on display at ASI. Got the car built and ready at this stage.

Lots of work going on to ensure the team use Jake's technical expertise and what they already know about the car, plus some data from the Eurotech Honda - sounds like they have a great chance of unlocking the potential of the Audi.

The engineers and mechanics all are behind him, so this really is a chance for Jake to show everyone just how good he is
Old 10 Jan 2019, 05:11 (Ref:3875114)   #2720
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Spoke to some of Jake Hill's supporters - great to see that Trade Price Cars Racing will have the 2019 Audi on display at ASI. Got the car built and ready at this stage.

Lots of work going on to ensure the team use Jake's technical expertise and what they already know about the car, plus some data from the Eurotech Honda - sounds like they have a great chance of unlocking the potential of the Audi.

The engineers and mechanics all are behind him, so this really is a chance for Jake to show everyone just how good he is
Absolutely, it helps that the Audi’s wheelbase is the same as the Honda’s, so could be quite a bit of crossover in set-up’s and things to try. It will be great to see one of the best looking cars in the grid nearer the front with Jake peddling it.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3875138)   #2721
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.btcc.net/2019/01/10/mini-...age-from-2020/

As suspected really. Good series and a decent brand to have on board, still a shame about the Clios but at least it’s not another GT/open wheeer series replacing them.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3875141)   #2722
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post

what else were you expecting of engineers within his own team??
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3875145)   #2723
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
http://www.btcc.net/2019/01/10/mini-...age-from-2020/

As suspected really. Good series and a decent brand to have on board, still a shame about the Clios but at least it’s not another GT/open wheeer series replacing them.
I'd have been surprised if it was another championship. The package needs to have a saloon car series of some sort on the support card.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3875149)   #2724
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Glad to see it was another tin top hatch series. A good replacement by all accounts. The BTCC statement though confuse me, it mentioned naturally aspirated, but then goes on to mention turbo charging...?
Old 10 Jan 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3875152)   #2725
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://twitter.com/touringcartimes/...968575489?s=21

First livery of 2019!