Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Nov 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3865674)   #1526
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
So the championship has a new title sponsor in kwik fit
"Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship"

Will take some getting used to - both the name and the different numberplate stickers!

Surprised to see Dunlop replaced.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3865676)   #1527
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Will take some getting used to - both the name and the different numberplate stickers!

Interesting change and didn't see that coming however I assume the deal with Kwik Fit is for 2019 only.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3865682)   #1528
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most petrol heads wouldn't touch kwikfit with a bargepole so that's an interesting one
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3865687)   #1529
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Tell me more
There's a segment on James Martins Saturday Kitchen in which the vague idea is Jason Plato (a good pal of James Martin) drives someone around a farm (Warren Scott's?) at high speed while they are trying to follow a recipe.
Anyway it's pretty lame top gear style gimmick but Jason is still wearing BMR Subaru overalls each week.

JP doesn't strike me the sort to publicly promote anything longer than his contractual obligations suggest
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3865691)   #1530
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post

JP doesn't strike me the sort to publicly promote anything longer than his contractual obligations suggest
Three factors need to be considered, before attaching any significance to the racing suit being worn.

A) when was the segment filmed?
B) was Subaru mentioned in any way?
C) did Plato just wear a racing suit that he already had?

if he is due to drive something other than Subaru, he wouldn't promote that until the press release?
Old 25 Nov 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3865694)   #1531
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
James Martin doesn’t do Saturday Kitchen anymore, so it was probably an old episode

Anyway Kwik Fit as sponsor. Can see tyre changes going downhill
Old 25 Nov 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3865723)   #1532
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I think the Subaru contractual agreements run to the end of the calendar year, not the end of the season. Think, but don't know. Logically they would as the manufacturer may have wished to use the team/ personnel in publicity post season if they'd won the championship for example.

I first heard the Plato TBL as a whisper at Silverstone. The whisperer in question is wrong as often, if not more so, than he is right. Chinese whispers up and down the paddock. I do doubt it to be honest. Where would JP take it? If he wanted his own team then why wait until this stage in his career to start it? Wouldn't he want a two car team to promote a fresh young talent? The rumour had legs to my mind until Warren Scott said BMR will be back next year. Unless he was bluffing, but I think Mr S is not the sort to bluff.

Also, if Norlin do have new wheels, then where are the existing cars off too and where would the TBLs to race them come from? Uncle Alan's TOCA two we think are the only unaccounted for ones? Or would Shaun or Matt Simpson be after spare shells to tuck away?

More questions than this time last year, or it seems that way! In some ways I wish all the teams were like #HARD - organised!
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3865725)   #1533
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

How many Dunlop tyres do we think Kwik Fit buy?.....
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3865735)   #1534
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
How many Dunlop tyres do we think Kwik Fit buy?.....

Hmmm, if you look at the tyres Kwik Fit sell I would be willing to bet the majority of them are budget brands, and not in the premium sector of Dunlop’s/ Goodyear’s.

Regardless, it’s great to have a household name on board with the championship. In my eyes one of the biggest title sponsors since the Auto Trader days.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3865737)   #1535
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Most petrol heads wouldn't touch kwikfit with a bargepole so that's an interesting one

They may find it increasingly difficult to do so when it comes to replacing tyres and exhaust systems. KwikFit have been busy over the years hoovering up many independent businesses, with chains like Stapeltons, Tyre City and Charlie Browns all belonging to the KwikFit Group.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3865738)   #1536
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
James Martin doesn’t do Saturday Kitchen anymore, so it was probably an old episode

Well, there'll be the added delay while the mechanics spray WD40 onto the shockers then suck air in through their teeth and tell the driver they're leaking so he needs new ones!
Old 25 Nov 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3865739)   #1537
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kwik **** is where joe public gets tyres, the majority of motorists are not clued up on tyres etc, they want something thats round and black. its how the fancy tyre places make their money, good for the sport if kwik fit are putting money in, still wouldnt let them near my car though
Old 25 Nov 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3865747)   #1538
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s good that such a big name is willing to sponsor the championship, love or hate them, they’re probably more of a household name than any title sponsor since Auto Trader too (even Dunlop, ask your non car people to name a tyre brand and they’ll struggle, ask them where to have tyres fitted and they’ll say Kwik Fit)

It also means there will be additional exposure for the BTCC, Kwik Fit are very heavy on customer promotions so they’ll run ‘win free tickets with 4 tyres’ type competitions and all of their centres will be decked out with BTCC banners.

The only downside is they’ll run adverts before and after the breaks which are even more annoying than the Dunlop Mercedes driving into the beach one...
Old 25 Nov 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3865748)   #1539
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yeah, the trouble will be a driver will come in for new tyres but they'll want to change his shocks and brakes as well!
Old 25 Nov 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3865749)   #1540
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And give him a while u wait sign
Old 25 Nov 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3865766)   #1541
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And give him a while u wait sign
We will just have to wait and see.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 16:29 (Ref:3865771)   #1542
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Yeah, the trouble will be a driver will come in for new tyres but they'll want to change his shocks and brakes as well!
They're not all dodgy, although I do remember the dubious up-selling attempts back in the day. In fact my local one is where I go; buy the tyres on the website, booked appointment for the swap and the prices are fair.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3865824)   #1543
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They may find it increasingly difficult to do so when it comes to replacing tyres and exhaust systems. KwikFit have been busy over the years hoovering up many independent businesses, with chains like Stapeltons, Tyre City and Charlie Browns all belonging to the KwikFit Group.
Itochu Corporation own Kwik Fit and Stapleton's. Not Kwik Fit owning Stapleton's.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3865827)   #1544
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
It doesn't take a lot of googling to read about Kwikfit and the scare tactics used to upsell or billing for work that may not have been carried out, generally most of their advertising these days seems to be done by Watchdog! Most of these fastfit places (national tyres, formula 1) are the same tho and quite untrustworthy by reputation on the whole, disappointing the series has become associated with such merchants
Old 25 Nov 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3865837)   #1545
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
The only downside is they’ll run adverts before and after the breaks which are even more annoying than the Dunlop Mercedes driving into the beach one...
As long as they don't go back to the 1980's adverts and the catchphrase...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBx6IjYrN1I
Old 25 Nov 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3865852)   #1546
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
As long as they don't go back to the 1980's adverts and the catchphrase...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBx6IjYrN1I
... Anyone who thinks they can't get better than a kwik fit fitter needs to believe in themselves a bit more
Old 25 Nov 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3865864)   #1547
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Itochu Corporation own Kwik Fit and Stapleton's. Not Kwik Fit owning Stapleton's.

I would suggest that you read Kwik Fit Group's (which is why I was careful in how I wrote what I did) accounts, where it clearly states that the group includes Stapletons, although the group itself is owned by the Japanese investment company Itochu Corp.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 23:29 (Ref:3865886)   #1548
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would suggest that you read Kwik Fit Group's (which is why I was careful in how I wrote what I did) accounts, where it clearly states that the group includes Stapletons, although the group itself is owned by the Japanese investment company Itochu Corp.

There is a world of difference between Kwik Fit acquiring Stapletons Vs the Itochu group already owning Stapletons and later acquiring similar business Kwik Fit

https://www.kwik-fit.com/about-us/our-history

The more likely scenario is Itochu have grouped all of its UK subsidiary companies under a "group" (with Kwik Fit being the largest), hence showing they are in the same group, it does not indicate a parent-child relationship between Kwik Fit and Stapletons.

Last edited by btccbloke; 25 Nov 2018 at 23:43.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3865900)   #1549
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do we need a subforum of this one specifically to discuss business relationships and accounting in relation the the BTCC?

Additionally, you have all seen the rebranding and renaming of the MSA, haven't you?
Old 26 Nov 2018, 07:42 (Ref:3865968)   #1550
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Additionally, you have all seen the rebranding and renaming of the MSA, haven't you?
Apparently the rebrand is a smokescreen for large-scale cost cutting.