Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 4 Jan 2004, 15:49 (Ref:827414)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quick update - Vatanen has won todays stage, Colin was 4th. Peterhansel leads overall and Colin is 6th. As for the bikes Meoni, won the stage and Esteve Pujol leads overall..........
Old 4 Jan 2004, 19:07 (Ref:827575)   #27
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bike race is going to be the most interesting, or so it seems at this point!

Could annyone explain to me about that Honda with the two-wheel drive that won yesterday? What exactly is the advantage he had?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 20:08 (Ref:827614)   #28
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
The bike race is going to be the most interesting, or so it seems at this point!

Could annyone explain to me about that Honda with the two-wheel drive that won yesterday? What exactly is the advantage he had?
When the rear wheel loses grip, the front wheel gets more power.

Last edited by FIRE; 4 Jan 2004 at 20:10.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 22:33 (Ref:827716)   #29
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Its a 400cc Yamaha. The front wheel seems to be hydralically powered with drive being transferred when rear wheel slip is detected. Don't know why they didn't fit it to one of the larger bikes (eg 600cc or 900cc)
Old 4 Jan 2004, 22:45 (Ref:827727)   #30
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is this an adavantage though? The bike looked like it was hard to handle, when they showed it yesterday.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 23:29 (Ref:827769)   #31
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess the advantage is the same that an 4x4 has over a car with two-wheel drive, better traction
Old 5 Jan 2004, 16:11 (Ref:828458)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Why is this an adavantage though?
It's a cross bike instead of a marathon/enduro bike, so I think it weights less.

Last edited by FIRE; 5 Jan 2004 at 16:12.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:00 (Ref:828927)   #33
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
It's good to see a non-KTM bike at #1.
I agree. Unfortunately it didn't last too long.

Sainct's effort after he crashed has been heroic, but I wonder if he can keep it up tomorrow.

Peterhansel might receive a 30 min penalty for being towed by Andrea Mayer because of gearbox problems after the special stage finished. Gearbox trouble was also the reason why he had to push his car to one of the checkpoints. He received a 5 min penalty for this.

Btw, anyone else impressed by the Aussie privateer biker Andy Caldecott, who finished 5th on the stage today? That's worth a mention, I think - a very very good performance.

Last edited by R; 5 Jan 2004 at 23:04.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 03:38 (Ref:829106)   #34
Liz
Veteran

I didn't remember his name but I think he's amazing. Can you believe an entire town of 2000 got together to raise the money to send him to the Dakar -- and he's doing that well? Wouldn't it be a great story if he finished in the top 10?

I agonized for Sainct today. I hope he can rise above it all. But I have the feeling that Meone is going to beat him this year.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 07:53 (Ref:829177)   #35
Roach
Rookie

Roach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn,t know we had an Aussie in the race till last nights coverage.Hope he does well and picks up some sponsorship for next year. Go Andy.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:37 (Ref:829949)   #36
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He finished 3rd on today's stage and is now 6th overall. Yes it is amazing - he raised $40,000 I believe?

No penalty for Peterhansel, as none of the competitors had submitted a protest in time (must do so within 30 minutes from the time the results are announced), and neither did any of the officials have proof that he had been towed. So he's lucky!

I feel bad for Sala though. Jutta is also out of it by the looks of things, and Ari has an awful lot of catching up to do. Sainct 8th on today's stage and also 8th overall, so he's hanging in there.

Last edited by R; 6 Jan 2004 at 22:40.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 02:55 (Ref:830133)   #37
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A measure of Caldicots Popularity

Quote:
Originally posted by R
He finished 3rd on today's stage and is now 6th overall. Yes it is amazing - he raised $40,000 I believe?
The small Australian town where Andy comes from raised a lot of the $40K to send him to Dakar AFAIK
Old 7 Jan 2004, 03:30 (Ref:830153)   #38
Liz
Veteran

do you think Jutta is completely out? I thought that guy explained to her how to fix the engine.

Anybody who finished today on a bike ought to get a special prize. What a course!

De Mavius is still hanging on in the top 5. Good show for him! Colin sounded a little bit testy today though.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 07:51 (Ref:830254)   #39
R
Veteran

Yes, he did. He was not at all happy about driving in the dust of another car!

I must rephrase myself concerning Jutta. She might start today's stage - what I meant was that she is out of it in terms of her chances to win the event this year.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 12:51 (Ref:830411)   #40
Liz
Veteran

Oh, well I agree with that. They need to waterproof the new VW!

I noticed a number of people have travelled to watch the early stages anyway. Have you heard of any touring groups that arrange these trips?
Old 7 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:830430)   #41
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Col's going well - he may have been a bit testy, but that drive put him 3rd overall!

Nice short and easy stage today - just the 701km...
Old 7 Jan 2004, 16:12 (Ref:830662)   #42
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like Caldecott is out - he had been running extremely well during today's monster stage then finished 25 mins down with a broken ankle! will he be able to continue???
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:24 (Ref:830730)   #43
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
do you think Jutta is completely out? I thought that guy explained to her how to fix the engine.
Volkswagen is dissapointing me. If I am right VW will cancel this project after this rally and will concentrate of circuit racing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz De Mavius is still hanging on in the top 5.
Yes, he's doying well. The X-Raid (semi-factory team) have prepared a good diesel powered X5.

Last edited by FIRE; 7 Jan 2004 at 17:26.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:31 (Ref:830737)   #44
racingdad
Veteran

By my simple maths, De Mavius has moved up to 3rd today - McRae is probably in 4th, worst 5th - all depends on how far behind him De Villiers is on the stage.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:34 (Ref:830739)   #45
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The BMW looks like a standard car compared to the Nissan, Mitsubishi and Volkswagen but still it's very fast.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:50 (Ref:830758)   #46
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW is the only top car, who looks like a showroom example.

Last edited by 429CJ; 7 Jan 2004 at 17:52.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 7 Jan 2004, 18:41 (Ref:830806)   #47
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what can topple Fabrizio Meone that guy is a machine.
adn I really am Pulling for Nissan to take it, I love the new
"prototype" style swept back area, and that wing so crazy.

what good stuff does the Dakar make as far a tech goes that actually makes it to the public? Diesels are getting better but is that cause of dakar or just fuel price? and where have 2 wheel drive moto bikes been all these years?
I remember seeing a two wheel drive (three chains- one to the rear, on up the side to another sprocket and one down the forks, this was years ago, clearly it had suspension travel woes.)
and all the fancy aero bits on the pickup trucks and suv type things do they really contribute that much to the cause over such bizarre unpredictable terrain?
Old 7 Jan 2004, 19:22 (Ref:830823)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
what good stuff does the Dakar make as far a tech goes that actually makes it to the public? Diesels are getting better but is that cause of dakar or just fuel price?
I think there isn't much stuff that is used in road cars.

Quote:
and where have 2 wheel drive moto bikes been all these years?
I remember seeing a two wheel drive (three chains- one to the rear, on up the side to another sprocket and one down the forks, this was years ago, clearly it had suspension travel woes.)
I think it was (or is still?) difficult to build a good 2WD bike that has more advantages then disadvantages.

Quote:
and all the fancy aero bits on the pickup trucks and suv type things do they really contribute that much to the cause over such bizarre unpredictable terrain?
If you compare the results of Nissan and BMW I would say it doesn't really contribute.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:36 (Ref:831609)   #49
racingdad
Veteran

Looks like Caldecott is continuing with his broken ankle as he isn't listed among the retirements.

Juuta's VW had a new engine fitted and was allowed to continue (??!!) strictly against the rules

McRae did retain third yesterday - my calcs were wrong (I thought De Mavius had just got in front)
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:58 (Ref:831632)   #50
Liz
Veteran

Good news about Caldecott! Has a protest been filed against Juuta's engine replacement?