Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1482471)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Trans Am dropped.

http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?S...StoryID=173049

INDIANAPOLIS -- What follows are statements from the Champ Car World Series regarding its future with the Trans-Am Series. As of today, the Champ Car World Series will no longer be affiliated as the sanctioning body of the Trans-Am Series. Any use of the following quotes should be attributed to Champ Car President Steve Johnson.

“We have elected not to renew the licensing agreement with the Trans-Am Series. Any further comment on the matter should come from Trans-Am.”

“Trans-Am had been a mainstay in road racing for many years and has been a popular component of our three-day festivals of speed for the last two seasons. We have enjoyed having the Trans-Am series compete at our events, our fans enjoyed the series and we wish the series, and all its competitors, the best of luck in the future.”
Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1482480)   #2
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So finally the announcement of what many expected came.

Wonder if the series will run as support race to any other series or under another name.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1482486)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No loss really - Gentilozzi had ruined the series.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1482495)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trans-Am wasn't at it's best. It was just a matter of when really.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1482518)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Not good for the ticket-buying racefan, though. Less racing to enjoy over the weekend. All of the series would have their schedules locked up by now, so it's likely too late to add anybody else. Formula-BMW is already running with CC at San Jose and Denver, sure would be nice if they could fit more dates onto their schedule.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1482538)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
SCCA chairman Gary Pitts denied that Champ Car's decision signals the end of the series.

“With Champ Car’s decision not to renew the Trans-Am name in 2006, SCCA is considering its options of how the name might be utilized in the future," he revealed.

"These options include, but are not limited to, licensing the name out to another organization for a racing series or utilizing the name ourselves.”
From SpeedTV.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1482580)   #7
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad Trans Am has to die, but the series has been deaths door for a while so it isn't a surprise. The series owner has been also been the dominant team owner. That doesn't sound like a good way to keep a race series alive. I wonder what will happen to the teams that were running Trans Am still. Seems like they will be left with a bunch of equipment and no where to use it for the time being. The only way the series will probably return is if a manufacturer or major sponsor gets involved. Beyond that I don't see it being economically feasible for Trans Am to return.

J.D.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1482609)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
American GT has the opportunity to be a place for teams to race, with the same equipment. It is a much lower budget series right now, and won't give the same sponsorship exposure, so it might not be an option for those dependent on sponsor $.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1482672)   #9
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the rumour a few months back was that the Speed GT series would acquire the Trans-Am moniker for their series?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1482690)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nation's oldest road racing series.....very sad, but I agree with K-B.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1482719)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^ Agree with the above, but I've yet to be convinced that it was purely PG who did it.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1482737)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Speaking as the uneducated buffoon that I am, but I'm assuming that the cars wouldn't meet spec for either ALMS or GrandAm?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1482746)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Correct, mac. The cars are tubeframed with big honkin' V8s. They were once in a class in Grand Am called AGT, but it never drew any significant competitors.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Dec 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1482752)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course now the Grandam is allowing tube frame Gt's again...hmmm
of course who or what will partner Champcars? Speed GT and TC?
and will Trans-am send its name off to the Speed challenge series' or someone/where else?
(Many are upset at PG) for what he did to his toy land, but Trans-am is too cool to let go to nothing
Old 13 Dec 2005, 04:12 (Ref:1482807)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
of course now the Grandam is allowing tube frame Gt's again...hmmm
of course who or what will partner Champcars? Speed GT and TC?
and will Trans-am send its name off to the Speed challenge series' or someone/where else?
(Many are upset at PG) for what he did to his toy land, but Trans-am is too cool to let go to nothing

As of right now, there are no Champcar races planned for SWC.

Code:
March 15-17
With ALMS 	Sebring International Raceway
Sebring, Fla. 	

March 31- April 2
With IRL 	Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, Fla. 	

May 19-21
With ALMS 	Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Lexington, Ohio 	

June 23-25
With NASCAR 	Infineon Raceway
Sonoma, Calif. 	

July 14-16
With ALMS 	Miller Motorsports Park
Tooele, Utah 	

Aug. 18-20
With ALMS 	Road America
Elkhart Lake, Wis. 	

Sept. 1-3
With ALMS 	Mosport International Raceway
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada 	

Sept. 27-29
With ALMS 	Road Atlanta
Braselton, Ga.  	

Oct. 20-22
With ALMS 	Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Monterey, Calif.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1482819)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trans-Am was dead meat before PG got his hands on it.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 05:27 (Ref:1482832)   #17
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like Trans Am but it has really gone down hill in the last few years. It wasn't a big surprise to hear this news.

Jeff
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1484201)   #18
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Speaking as the uneducated buffoon that I am, but I'm assuming that the cars wouldn't meet spec for either ALMS or GrandAm?
With minimal modification, they can race in SCCA GT-1, but not many club racers can pay full budget team prices for a car.
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 21 Dec 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1488120)   #19
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's too bad that Trans Am is in the situation it is in now.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1489643)   #20
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Trans-Am was dead meat before PG got his hands on it.
Trans Am was having 35 and 40+ car fields when P.G. took it over.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1489800)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the, hm, sub-optimal way the series has been run in recent years, maybe the GT-1 concept has run its course.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1489801)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Correct, mac. The cars are tubeframed with big honkin' V8s. They were once in a class in Grand Am called AGT, but it never drew any significant competitors.
Because GA ran the class into the ground. (i.m.h.o.)
Old 24 Dec 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1489803)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
American GT has the opportunity to be a place for teams to race, with the same equipment. It is a much lower budget series right now, and won't give the same sponsorship exposure, so it might not be an option for those dependent on sponsor $.
Is the AGT management up to it, though?
Old 24 Dec 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1489826)   #24
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It brings tears to my eyes to think that the longest running road racing series in the U.S. is kaput. All the great drivers that have competed in Trans Am left a legacy that will not be forgotten by some.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1489954)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Is the AGT management up to it, though?
Hard to say. It appears they have made pretty good progression in the 3yrs? since their inception. They (AGT) however seem to have a Mom & Pop attitude towards their operation of the series.
I would hate to see the Trans Am series die. I like the formulae, it makes for some good racing.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"