Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2003, 22:03 (Ref:638724)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another arguement for spec. tires

Autosport reports more issues with Bridgestones way of doing things. It seems "some teams" get first use of their latest and greatest tires while BAR have to wait for hand me downs.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 22:18 (Ref:638730)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"The page cannot be displayed"...
Old 22 Jun 2003, 00:23 (Ref:638814)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Here is the article

JV in second-hand tyre riddle
Villeneuve 'frustrated' by communication problem

In a bizarre twist to Jacques Villeneuve's miserable 2003 season, it transpires that the French Canadian unknowingly ran previously raced Bridgestone tyres at this week's Silverstone test. The BAR driver still puts reliability concerns ahead of tyre issues but finds it annoying that lack of the former seems to be impacting on the latter.

"The tyres we thought were new, but actually they were raced in Canada," he said. "I don't know, but maybe there's a communications problem that the team has to get into, to really understand this.

"It's a little bit disappointing. I wish I had had these tyres before this test, like in a race. It happened before in the season that we got to a race and found out people were using tyres we didn't even know existed, which is a little bit frustrating."

Villeneuve was fifth quickest out of eight runners on the final day at the Northamptonshire track, but almost 2.5s off the pace of the fastest Bridgestone runner, Michael Schumacher, in second place.

"One car is winning on Bridgestone and the other teams are having a really hard time," said Villeneuve, "so obviously the job can be done."
Old 22 Jun 2003, 00:25 (Ref:638816)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not an argument for spec tires, but an argument for slicks... That'd bring back Goodyear, and maybe even a 4th manufacturer!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 22 Jun 2003 at 00:25.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 00:57 (Ref:638843)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The fact they had tyres whichwere usd in Canada indicates a **** up on Bridgestone's part.

As to the likes of Ferrari getting a compound first? It isn't unreasonable, just take a look at the title races....

Anyway, with the situation as it is now on the tyre front, the teams will get the spread of tyres they request - added in, of course, to the amount that the team co-operate/put in with Bridgestone. Ferrari do that to a high degree, most certainly more than BAR (and everyone else, most likely...).

F1 is F1.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 14:29 (Ref:639172)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Maybe if more manufacturers enter then Ferrari can have their own tires. Then everyone else can get a fair shake. I dont agree with Ferrari being able to buy their way into the good will of Bridgestone. Michelin is not doing this! I have said it before, as long as the rules stay the same there will never be a Bridgestone runner to beat Ferrari.

Yes more tire manufacturers could be an answer too. I think there would need to be one for each team, or at least for anyone thats on Bridgestones. This way at least they would stand a fighting chance.

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Jun 2003 at 16:15.