Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Apr 2021, 11:18 (Ref:4044581)   #26
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
At this stage, I am backing SVG to win the Melbourne Cup.
After comes back from Tokyo olympics with every gold medal on offer.
Then he will jump into a Wlliams and win the aust gp.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 01:19 (Ref:4044622)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
Seems there’s quite a few issues the the MRF tyres & failures - I’ve never heard race tyres squeal so much!
What pressures were they running? How hard did they go on them?
The #95 class winning Mustang apparently ran the race on 6 of them.. a big heavy V8 with plenty of wheel spin if driven unsympathetically...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Apr 2021, 01:47 (Ref:4044625)   #28
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What pressures were they running? How hard did they go on them?
The #95 class winning Mustang apparently ran the race on 6 of them.. a big heavy V8 with plenty of wheel spin if driven unsympathetically...
Loved the interview of one of team managers absolutely ripping into the tyres saying they ruined the race, were dangerous, basically total rubbish..
And this only a few minutes after a fluff piece with the tyre company rep, who were one of the event sponsors
Old 5 Apr 2021, 02:10 (Ref:4044628)   #29
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise had little chuckle with the MRF Tyre rep infomercial.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 02:48 (Ref:4044631)   #30
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One complaint re the telecast, twice that I saw they had Mark Barretta interviewing someone when a major incident happened, (crash of Denyer Mustang, Bowe Commodore fire in pits) and they continued with the interview for at last another minute rather than quickly cutting to the commentators and the live action.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 04:24 (Ref:4044632)   #31
Kato
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Kato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Loved the interview of one of team managers absolutely ripping into the tyres saying they ruined the race, were dangerous, basically total rubbish..
And this only a few minutes after a fluff piece with the tyre company rep, who were one of the event sponsors
It was a bit embarrassing wasn't it.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 06:42 (Ref:4044637)   #32
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He and Hodge are a complete waste of space.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 03:23 (Ref:4044769)   #33
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Hodge was terrible, added nothing.

Jess Dane was much better apart from the interviews with dad.

Overall a good race, was SVG ever in doubt? No not really

Dave Reynolds getting close to Pussywagon territory with that comment about the hairless cat.
He wont last long in the commentary box if he keeps that up
Old 7 Apr 2021, 08:47 (Ref:4044908)   #34
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hodge was fine I thought, doesn’t pretend to be an expert and looks like he’s enjoying being at the events.

We complain that motor racing doesn’t get cross promotion or reach outside the normal channels, then we get someone that potentially has a reach to another sporting area along with actually loving Motorsport, and we pan him and say he adds nothing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Dave Reynolds getting close to Pussywagon territory with that comment about the hairless cat.
He wont last long in the commentary box if he keeps that up
Those comments are why they’ve hired him for commentary! ARG knew what they were getting
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4044935)   #35
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nobody enjoys cross-promotion.

It is tiresome.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4044940)   #36
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Nobody enjoys cross-promotion.

It is tiresome.
Yet essential if you want to grow

Supercars has been saying that for 24 years
Old 12 Apr 2021, 03:07 (Ref:4045643)   #37
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Hodge was fine I thought, doesn’t pretend to be an expert and looks like he’s enjoying being at the events.

We complain that motor racing doesn’t get cross promotion or reach outside the normal channels, then we get someone that potentially has a reach to another sporting area along with actually loving Motorsport, and we pan him and say he adds nothing....
Mr Hodge might enjoy being at the events, but we don't enjoy him being there.

I've never heard any motorsport cross-promotion when watching the cricket, football, netball, basketball, or any other sport. Always seems to be a one way street. Likewise, never seen Crompton, Skaife, Murphy et al getting a "fluff" gig on any other sport, yet they ( Hodge et al ) all think they can have a go at motorsport "because I'm a self-confessed fan".
Old 12 Apr 2021, 04:01 (Ref:4045645)   #38
Umai Naa
Veteran

I have a set of golf racquets somewhere, but that doesn't entitle me to pollute the Australian Open with my 'knowledge' of the sport.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 23:18 (Ref:4045765)   #39
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post

I've never heard any motorsport cross-promotion when watching the cricket, football, netball, basketball, or any other sport. Always seems to be a one way street. Likewise, never seen Crompton, Skaife, Murphy et al getting a "fluff" gig on any other sport, yet they ( Hodge et al ) all think they can have a go at motorsport "because I'm a self-confessed fan".
I’ve enjoyed Mr Hodge’s contributions to the telecasts this year.

Do people complain about Greg Martin being on the Fox Sports V8 telecasts?

Peter Brock used to get plenty of fluff gigs on Channel 7’s AFL coverage.

Scott McLaughlin used to get on AFL 360, likewise James Courtney on NRL 360.

What about the cross promotion that the likes of Grant Denyer have offered for years?
Old 13 Apr 2021, 03:24 (Ref:4045773)   #40
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are far more objectionable people on all sports broadcasts right now. Brad Hodge is fine, he loves the sport clearly and isn't a bad fit amongst their TV line-up.

PS The weekend of the 6 Hour was great fun up there, really good mix of categories, had 2010's 12 Hour vibe about it.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 06:07 (Ref:4045778)   #41
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

PS The weekend of the 6 Hour was great fun up there, really good mix of categories, had 2010's 12 Hour vibe about it.
I would qualify that by saying that the other classes besides the 6 Hour ,most notably TCR,GT and TransAm,gave the meeting a very professional high quality feel.A lot of the support programs at both the 6 and 12 Hour meetings in the past have had the feel of a state meeting.
As a matter of fact it is a better line up than this years 1000 support line up-Utes,Toyota 86,Carrera Cup and Super2/3.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 00:10 (Ref:4046451)   #42
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
That's the point of the criticism of his presence. He could easily become one of the most popular figures if he demonstrated that he was knowledgeable.

Quote:

I've never heard any motorsport cross-promotion when watching the cricket, football, netball, basketball, or any other sport. Always seems to be a one way street.
There has been a bit.

Quote:
Likewise, never seen Crompton, Skaife, Murphy et al getting a "fluff" gig on any other sport, yet they ( Hodge et al ) all think they can have a go at motorsport "because I'm a self-confessed fan".
Crompton - Not that talented. Commentates like it's an infomercial, and is a parody.

Skaife - Horrendous, offensive presence. Capable of putting off a Holden fan from supporting Holdens. His best commentary was next to Darrell Eastlake during early 90s AGP supports.

Murphy - lightweight, still somewhat offensive, and would be out of place.

That's the problem with motor racing, it's a marginalised sport, so it attract the ordinary media talents (How else could Greg Rust have the career he's had?).

The inherently talented commentator are interested in other sports, and racing can't even be a good side gig. (Off the top of my head, guys like Brenton SPeed and Simon Hill. Speed has the name for it and isn't into racing!)

Last edited by 2 litre Touring Car Star; 18 Apr 2021 at 00:22.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4046457)   #43
Umai Naa
Veteran

'Offensive' is a subjective term.

Sounds like a YOU problem.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 01:15 (Ref:4046458)   #44
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Maybe.

Are you telling me Mark could cut it as a media performer outside of racing?

I reckon you're dreaming if you think he could.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 01:53 (Ref:4046460)   #45
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Enthusiasm wins almost every time over those merely cashing in a pay check.

I like Brad Hodge and he clearly enjoys the sport.

I certainly prefer this over a list of sports allrounders who it was just another gig - Cameron Williams, Steve Titmus......

An intimate knowledge of motorsports is not required to contribute positively to the telecast.

Check out Peter Landy's (yes that VFL commentator) contribution to the Channel 7 Calder Park telecasts in the early 80's. He is not there to explain how ground effect works on a Formula Pacific.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 03:55 (Ref:4046473)   #46
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Offensive mightn’t be the first word I’d use but arrogant and condescending might vie for that honour.
Skaife was a good driver but is a terrible commentator.Around the time that Ingall got punted from the coverage Speedcafe ran a poll of the Supercar tv commentators.Skaife ranked right down at the bottom near Andrew Jones who was a pit commentator for support category racing.
I cannot understand how he has kept his job.What happens in Austin stays in Austin?Certainly not the only reason but a big one in why I basically have given up on watching Supercars on tv-and I have had Foxtel for well over 20 years.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4046479)   #47
Umai Naa
Veteran

All told, Skaife is also considered a decent bloke away from the mic/camera.

I think if he had one character flaw, and many who've worked with him would absolutely agree, is that he can be quite an intense individual who often takes himself and the task at hand very seriously.

But I don't think that makes him an especially terrible human being.
Old 18 Apr 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4046520)   #48
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I think if he had one character flaw, and many who've worked with him would absolutely agree, is that he can be quite an intense individual who often takes himself and the task at hand very seriously.

Geez ya cant say that, the "Faithfull" will rip you a new one.

At the end of the day 99% of the ex racers were all Brilliant in their time. Egos aside their experience in commentary is exceptional, be it Red or Blue.
Old 2 May 2021, 11:13 (Ref:4049174)   #49
one five five
Veteran

What happened to all the production cars this weekend at SMP?

Embarrassing, no other words for it
Old 2 May 2021, 22:05 (Ref:4049299)   #50
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yep, I agree