Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jan 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2382526)   #151
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I think it was because I'd just got out of the TVR, I found it a bit sticky. Not that it would stop me having one of course, terrific handling and ideal performance.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2382533)   #152
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
lovely handling and swift rather than scalded cat performance anyway back to TVR's!
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2382695)   #153
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little off topic but I'm currently building a Grantura to FiA spec. I've never driven one or even been driven in one so it's good to get some indication of what it will be like. Sitting on the floor pan holding the steering wheel and making brum brum noises is about as close as I've got! Presumably the body spec. of the very early 200's such as Jellison's would be identical to mine? It's a '63 build and factory records show it to be the first production 1800. It would be interesting to know the production relationship between the early Griff bodies that were shipped to the states and the Granturas that were being built for the UK at the same time.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2382698)   #154
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst AC Ace/Cobra seems to have enjopyed instant international success but presumably (based on what I have read here) the Griffith didn't. Given the pedigree of both are similar why did one take off and the other didn't? Was it all doen to the original build quality issues?
Old 30 Jan 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2382711)   #155
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Ace was around in the late fifties with a sweet 3.0l straight six (trying desperately to remember the name of the tuner and failing ).

The Cobra took an already proven chassis and made it awesome.

If I understand this thread correctly, the Griff was to do the same, except the developer had none of the history that Carrol Shelby has/had. I suspect it may be these, plus the loss of product due to the dock strike, that really mitigated against it.

I have to say that like many I'm learning an awful lot about the cars that frankly have been a bit of a blank in my education. Think racing beast think Cobra. However .................................

And Dave, I think you are a very lucky man to have that car. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2382713)   #156
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6
A little off topic but I'm currently building a Grantura to FiA spec. I've never driven one or even been driven in one so it's good to get some indication of what it will be like. Sitting on the floor pan holding the steering wheel and making brum brum noises is about as close as I've got! Presumably the body spec. of the very early 200's such as Jellison's would be identical to mine? It's a '63 build and factory records show it to be the first production 1800. It would be interesting to know the production relationship between the early Griff bodies that were shipped to the states and the Granturas that were being built for the UK at the same time.
First 3 were Grantura Bodies MADE to fit all the V* driveline stuff, the one after this had mods conveyd from the tweeks theyhad to do on these 3 in corporated into the later Grantura looking early 200's. Things like number plates moldings changes eyc.

My Dino Post sems to have Disappeared John
Old 30 Jan 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2382718)   #157
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps you TVR experts might know what happened to my Griffith? Reg No: MYU 617D. I’ve no chassis number. I bought it at the end of 1967, maybe from Bell & Colville, I can’t quite remember. It was painted in Roman Purple with flared wheel arches and Cobra wire rims with an internal roll hoop and rear window retaining straps. I believe it was part of the Vandervell set up, hence the unusual colour. I thought it had a 4.7L engine but it turned out to be a 4.2L with hydraulic tappets so not as I had hoped but quick enough. Around 70 mph in first and 130 mph top speed governed by the hydraulic tappets. It was so reliable. I used it as a tow car for my racer and also sprinted it one time. Very sad to see it go in 1970 and never heard of it again. Martin Lilley had attended the same engineering college as me and turned up one day in one and I just knew I had to have one eventually!
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2382735)   #158
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The Ace was around in the late fifties with a sweet 3.0l straight six (trying desperately to remember the name of the tuner and failing )
The Ace originally had a 2 litre AC engine or for the quicker versions, the Bristol 2 litre. When Bristol stopped making that engine (when they went to American V8 muscle), AC used Ford 2.6 engines, modified by Ruddspeed (Ken Rudd). That's all off the top of my head so I await the corrections.

Anyway, AC were a well established builder of quality cars and their build quality and that of Shelby's operation would have been in advance of TVR. I doubt TVR had much in the way of funds to develop a reliable race version of the Griffith.

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Jan 2009 at 16:52.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2382737)   #159
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
My Dino Post sems to have Disappeared John
Jon, I've not seen it, nor does it appear in the thread log, so that's a bit of a mystery, I'm afraid.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2382754)   #160
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The Ace originally had a 2 litre AC engine or for the quicker versions, the Bristol 2 litre. When Bristol stopped making that engine (when they went to American V8 muscle), AC used Ford 2.6 engines, modified by Ruddspeed (Ken Rudd). That's all off the top of my head so I await the corrections.

Anyway, AC were a well established builder of quality cars and their build quality and that of Shelby's operation would have been in advance of TVR. I doubt TVR had much in the way of funds to develop a reliable race version of the Griffith.
That's quite right John,certainly never factory homologated and never done by Mr Griffith through lack of Dollars.200/04 was supplied for Gerry to race with some funding but no great amount.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2382903)   #161
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Jon, I've not seen it, nor does it appear in the thread log, so that's a bit of a mystery, I'm afraid.
maybe I was dreaming and id not hit post!

First serious GF's father had a Dino in the garage, always under a dust sheet.

Thought, I'm bound to get a go in it at some point. Never happened, he never drove it in 2 years SAD....and LOOSER come to mine.

It wasn't the reason she was my GF though, she had a couple of outstanding....

ANYWAY back to Griffs..........

One was easy, the other On a Total Other Planet (Moby)
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2383011)   #162
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ruddspeed & 2.6 thanks John.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2383714)   #163
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Quite a few for sale then, what sort of money do they command?
I have sent you - and a few others over here - a mint roadlegal racer that could be yours for 45 Bob.

PM if you are in need.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2387832)   #164
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a Griffith in Melbourne (photo taken last year), don't know details of chassis no. etc

Old 4 Feb 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2388159)   #165
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advertised in Motor Sport

http://www.pd-go.com/index.php?actio...&WebSiteID=409
Old 4 Feb 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2388186)   #166
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this was about TVR Griffiths!!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2388281)   #167
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,judging by the spec,its not so far removed from some that we know!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2388288)   #168
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yeah and only 400bhp.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2388359)   #169
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
real american racer with big balls. 400ho and he didnt brake at Sebring in september or he has a very damp shed to keep the car if so dont buy it. Unless you need some rear suspension parts for your o so legal FIA E type.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2388517)   #170
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope these snaps are not too big:

Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2388525)   #171
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Great pics! So whose cars are all these? I recognise the powder blue #49 as Malcolm Johnson's.......... also big variation in tyre spec - the red #42 car is running Ls whilst the others on Ms?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2388534)   #172
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Something a little different with the Green Car?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2388548)   #173
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Looks like it's been fed a diet of spinach and I'm not referring to the colour.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 05:55 (Ref:2388674)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6
Great pics! So whose cars are all these? I recognise the powder blue #49 as Malcolm Johnson's.......... also big variation in tyre spec - the red #42 car is running Ls whilst the others on Ms?
Car 42 is the lovely Ashworth Grantura- hence tyre difference!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2388706)   #175
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite right Mike,Mark had big problems getting the HTPs on that car,all resolved now though.Would have been a great shame if they were not allowed,Mark being another who will not bend the rules and also a very fair driver.