Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Feb 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3881119)   #51
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is reproducing, for example, a cylinder head with improved porting, development or cheating, Max? Or both?
Oh I haven't got answers, just questions. I'll ask them, the clever people here can put me straight.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3881125)   #52
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Oh I haven't got answers, just questions. I'll ask them, the clever people here can put me straight.
Well, clever people have answered, and hopefully they have done so....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3881152)   #53
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well, clever people have answered, and hopefully they have done so....
Oh yes!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3881164)   #54
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If now they check the socks length…
Old 1 Feb 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3881205)   #55
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If now they check the socks length…
Out of topic Gerard but an interesting comparison. It actually is the result of the 90s overload of technology and development that transformed cycling, when carbon frames became a trend, that Lotus and many companies such as ZIPP well known for their wheels but also a common contractor to indy and CART teams for their knowledge of composite materials threw a heavy load of aerodynamic development into the "beam" bikes and so on. The UCI reacted by setting standards, rider included and helmet too. It was the Brits and Italian again !!!

For those interested - https://historicmotorsportcentral.co...otus-type-108/

If you can master your position, maximise your aerodynamic efficiency and cause the lowest drag possible, that's more WATTS on the distance and the equivalent of power in a car. I do have a couple of fabrics with integrated vortex to help all that
Old 1 Feb 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3881219)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha la vache, c'est top ce truc! Same inspiration for "le kil" in other words KL or Speed Ski. Slightly related to the thread they are discussions about the "dash board" used during Le Tour de France for instance. I had the opportunity to follow several stages of this famous race and I can tell you how much impressive the riders are. Respect for all those guys because they still have to push hard.
Old 2 Feb 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3881466)   #57
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
The simple premise should always be “as it was, so it should be”.
Indeed - going back to Ford 289's - original crank was cast iron but now steel from various aftermarket manufacturers appears to be the norm in AppK cars
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Feb 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3881543)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Reading the text in French can lead you to think its allowed. La fonte est un matériau ferreux tout comme l'acier
Old 3 Feb 2019, 05:37 (Ref:3881553)   #59
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is reproducing, for example, a cylinder head with improved porting, development or cheating, Max? Or both?

I remember a case several years ago involving an Alfa 105.
Was at Spa, had an interesting dice with one whilst driving my then MGB(Fully compliant as checked by Jeremy Hall)
It took a while but after dicing with the car in question, I managed to get past and then left him behind. Alfa finished the race so was still healthy.
A few weeks later I was using a friend's TR 4,considerably more power than the B, at Dijon. The Alfa was there as well!
This time though there was no catching it!!
Was told by someone who knew, that the owner had spent 70,000 quid on a totally redisigned head. Radical improvement around.
Racing for FUN?? 🤣🤣
Old 3 Feb 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3881566)   #60
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Racing for FUN? No, cheating for what they think to be glory. I just hope the 105 was at least a GTA…
Old 3 Feb 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3881588)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well Terence, you’d probably be more competitive with a TR now- believe that engine has a ‘new’ cylinder head nowadays ......
Old 3 Feb 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3881630)   #62
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Indeed - going back to Ford 289's - original crank was cast iron but now steel from various aftermarket manufacturers appears to be the norm in AppK cars
Allowed in Appendix K, article 5.8 of appendix VIII if anyone’s interested, which is pretty much lifted from the period Appendix J I believe.
So thus it can be done provided of course that it complies with 3.6.7.1 and is within 5% of the original weight.
Mind you the last time that was ever checked Noah was probably trying to work out what a cubit was........
As has been mentioned before, you only have to look at some of the flywheels and clutches being used today - both of which would be on the relevant homologation form - to figure out that it is unlikely that the crank is actually made to those parameter.

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 3 Feb 2019 at 11:01.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3881831)   #63
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Racing for FUN? No, cheating for what they think to be glory. I just hope the 105 was at least a GTA…
Nope, just a 105 Gerard.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3881834)   #64
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed it has . . . . I saw one bought for a TR3 . . . . TBH it wasn't as good as it could have been. nice casting, finished like a 70's hot rod head!

Quote:
Well Terence, you’d probably be more competitive with a TR now- believe that engine has a ‘new’ cylinder head nowadays ......
Old 4 Feb 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3881842)   #65
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
4 bolt 2 dowel is SSSOOOO Last century Simon. One can only assume excessive consumption caused double vision, or maybe treble.

Ford flywheels homologated @ 6.5 (varies slightly for cars delta/Morgan/Ginetta/Turner etc) TC @ 7kg, interestingly the early LC is homologated with a 7.25" clutch the same as the GT . . . . which wasn't reliable, whilst we all know the 8" clutch was standard on all TC's and the flywheel heavier as a consequence. . . LC photo's have a gearbox stuck on the back of the engine so you cant see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Allowed in Appendix K, article 5.8 of appendix VIII if anyone’s interested, which is pretty much lifted from the period Appendix J I believe.
So thus it can be done provided of course that it complies with 3.6.7.1 and is within 5% of the original weight.
Mind you the last time that was ever checked Noah was probably trying to work out what a cubit was........
As has been mentioned before, you only have to look at some of the flywheels and clutches being used today - both of which would be on the relevant homologation form - to figure out that it is unlikely that the crank is actually made to those parameter.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3882191)   #66
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
From 750MC, we adopted the MX5 NA regulation. It works fine so far, people have fun, relaxed ambiance, few if no suspicion, reliable cars. The organiser reserves the right to exchange the ECU at any time of the meeting. The rolling road is a good idea and I'm sure Andy can comment that… But this concerns modern cars, injection, electronic ignition… In no way related to a Cooper you want to race at Monaco. In this case its hard to believe that the price of a carb or copy of a carb will stop the process. Driving such cars at such places involves "some " money, dont you think so? So, one carb or two and may be three, WTF?
Rolling Road tests can be made irrelevant with different maps and clever ways of hiding their employment.
Gerard is referring to a certain clever tuner managing to defeat PCGB class power to weight rules on 944 Turbos by having different maps activated by a rotary switch on the front wheels. Allegedly. They were compliant on the RR.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3882197)   #67
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
a different set of tyres will make a difference on a rolling road. far too many variables.

Having said that, if you're diligent with the way yo u use it, I still think its a far better tool than a dyno in a laboratory where you can effectively manipulate conditions to give the numbers that sell the engine . . . . . which will be different again once its in the car!