Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1368573)   #1
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice one DC

Today I saw a Formula One driver helping the marshals take his busted car away, and help clearing the track.......

Nice one DC!!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1368623)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw that too, and couldn't believe my eyes. Red Bull as done wonders for that bloke!!!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1368643)   #3
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time one of them actually did some work for a change!!!!!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1368789)   #4
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He certainly seems to be a happy relaxed bunny this year. Maybe Mr Schumacher should take a leaf out of DC's book.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1368930)   #5
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the Practice at the BGP when his car run out of steam at Farm DC sat out on the grass behind the post much to the delight of the crowd in that area. (Not to easy for the spectator stewards) I believe he also gave assistance when his car was collected and went back in the recovery vehilcle.
A great example and I agree its this kind of human behavior that makes a great man. Perhaps he also reads 10 Tenths?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1368968)   #6
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He said that he didn't want transport back to the pits. Didn't he disappear into the crowd for a while to sign autographs?!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1368979)   #7
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he went and signed everything pointed at him - even ferrari caps!

Last edited by Kidzer; 1 Aug 2005 at 10:43. Reason: Bad Spelling!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1369063)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Class act is our DC!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1369068)   #9
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great exapmle for young drivers. Nice bloke. Good solid driver.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1369073)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
This shouldn't come as a surprise. Red Bull are extremely media savvy, they are the past masters of taking every tiny moment of positive media and positive PR available. You would imagine that after the years of the stifling secrecy of insular Maclaren, the fan friendly "be happy at all times" PR approach of Red Bull, would probably be a nice change of pace for DC.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1369092)   #11
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've met DC a few times over the years, and he's always been very, very polite. At a celeb karting event a few years ago he walked into the the changing rooms and greeted everyone. Had a chat with a few people and acted like the totally normal bloke that he is. My point is that I don't think he's become a more relaxed person, I think he was always a very friendly person...
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1369112)   #12
Rob M
Rookie

England
Rob M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
I believe he also gave assistance when his car was collected and went back in the recovery vehilcle.
Yeah it's true, he did help us get the car on the recovery vehicle and then hitched a lift off them.

He certainly earnt my respect that day.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1369438)   #13
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems he could be voted "Marshals most popular F1 driver of the Season" An example for others to follow. Red Bull is also great and keeps me awake during long boring races.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1369448)   #14
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's a great bloke too, but should he really have been on the track picking himself something to sell on Ebay? (It looked like he was on the track anyway, but I could be wrong!!)
Lee
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1369702)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eddy Irvine used to do the same!
He once came off in Qualy at Priory/Brooklands and sat behind the barrier reading my Autosport!
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1371123)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Related question: Most of the F1 drivers seem to be jerks towards the corner workers when they get out of the car, do you guys agree? Is it different with drivers from other series? I was impressed that DC not only helped but acted like a real person and had stood around talking to a corner worker afterwards.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1371162)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Snrub, I'm not sure I'm well placed to comment on your question, but I will say that I see after a lot of accidents or spins some marshalls constantly touching the drivers and physically leading them off the circuit. Must be a bit annoying when the drivers are all worked-up and annoyed somewhat anyway.

I mean, sure it makes sense to ask them after a big smash if they're alright, but sometimes it's like they want to hold their hand.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1371217)   #18
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
I dont think they are jerks. Just well paid drivers, no better than anyone else. It does appear that like footballers and other well paid sportsmen they sometimes, "think they are better" brought about by people putting them on a pedestal. Some want to be treated specially others are just nice guys who have not grown to big for their boots.
Yes some FI drivers do seem to want to be treated like tin gods but is that them or their managers and minders.
If does appear however that those at the top of the spectrum and the very young just starting out do need to be taught some manners and they are just drivers and need treat everone with respect if they want to get it in return.
As far as those drivers that I meet at club meetings they have all been very nice guys wheher it on the track, in the kitty litter, in the paddock or in the shower.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1371229)   #19
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er, what you doing in the shower with them??

or don't I want to know?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1371248)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Snrub, I'm not sure I'm well placed to comment on your question, but I will say that I see after a lot of accidents or spins some marshalls constantly touching the drivers and physically leading them off the circuit. Must be a bit annoying when the drivers are all worked-up and annoyed somewhat anyway.

I mean, sure it makes sense to ask them after a big smash if they're alright, but sometimes it's like they want to hold their hand.

Not all drivers/Marshals speak the same language, If it gets them out of danger then so be it!
sometimes I think a cattle prod would help!!!!!!
Lee
Old 3 Aug 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1371256)   #21
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Sorry Clive but thats my secret. Its not easy for them to be put on a pedestal when they only have a towel to cover their technical bits? The only way you could find out would be to get up early in the morning???
Old 3 Aug 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1371297)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After an incident driver's will often be disorientated or have their minds on other things. The hand out is more of a guidance than a prod, encourages them to go in the right direction. After an impact, you're also trying to get their attention so that you can assess any potential injury. Gentle contact all helps. It becomes a grab when they start heading for the track to remonstrate, etc!

You'll notice most professional (as opposed to unpaid) emergency services do the same thing when guiding to an ambulance, out of the wreckage, away from the fight or whatever the situation is.

However, we're wandering off the point, and I too was impressed by David's actions. I've never been a fan of him, but he went up several notches on my scale for this.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1372044)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hi to everyone in the marshal's forum. i usually post in the f1 forum and i just posted something along the lines of: seeing DC clean up after himself really changed my mind about him. in all likelyhood his efforts freed someone else from having to run on track(and into harms way) and possibly prevented a safety car which i never like to see.
anyways, F1 is the only sport i can think of where you are allowed to touch the officials - push them around in some cases, and his sportmanship and attitude towards race officials is really starting to help me change my mind about him and what race officials go through. so big ups to DC!

here's a link to the extremely long F1 DC thread, with the posts relating to this found on the last page.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...71#post1370471
Old 8 Aug 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1375025)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair points in response to my comments. The safety issue on those points in entirely valid and I should point out I mean no disrespect here.

As for DC, yes it was a good move taking that bit of (was it off Alonso's Renault?) bodywork off the circuit. He must've spotted it and having just fallen victim to the effects of hitting something at speed decided it was best for him to run and clear that out of the way right then.