Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:00 (Ref:2028730)   #1
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari: Hamilton title would be tainted

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62933

Quote:
Lewis Hamilton will have to thank Ferrari if he wins the Formula One title in China this weekend, according to the Italian team's president Luca di Montezemolo.
If there are 4 "ferrari" drivers at the top of the drivers championship then surely Lewis deserves to win because he is the best ferrari driver.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:06 (Ref:2028735)   #2
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
di Montezemolo has a long record of sour grapes when Ferrari lose. It looks like this will be three years in a row without a drivers title - the title he feels his team have a divine right to win. No surprise he's sounding off, but it doesn't detract from Lewis' achievement in any way.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2028738)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
He's like a stuck record, he said the same thing a couple of weeks ago.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2028739)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this a new comment or just a repeat of what he has said before? I think it is new, but he has said this before.

Whatever, he needs to get over it.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:13 (Ref:2028743)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Typical! Happy to accept all the plaudits for winning the constructors title once McLaren were excluded, but now trying to take some of the credit should Hamilton win the Drivers..
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2028746)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I was wondering if Autosport had dragged this up again too Adam, but looking at the article, it says that he said it following Japan.

But yep, he needs to get over it.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:35 (Ref:2028779)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its such nonsense, taking a look at a lot of the teams cars at this point in the season, its obvious that at least 2 teams have directly copied McLaren's front wing design.

Luca needs to learn how to lose gracefully.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2028787)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It's just so tedious, and actually quite embarrassing to read comments like that. Somebody should just tell him to put a sock in it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:02 (Ref:2028796)   #9
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Right now its:

Mclaren 202
Ferrari 170

So if there are four Ferraris on the grid, it really makes me wonder why are the silver ones so much better.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:15 (Ref:2028815)   #10
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Luca di Montezemolo, Todt (and previously Brawn) always moaning and complaining when they dont win.

They should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute if they carry on doing it (and lose their constructors points inthe process).
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2028818)   #11
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
So if there are four Ferraris on the grid, it really makes me wonder why are the silver ones so much better.
Im looking forward to the Prodrive customer Ferrari next year...
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2028819)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess Luca has a lot of people to answer to, not least the Tifosi!..
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:38 (Ref:2028824)   #13
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to think that Ron Dennis has been a bit of a sore loser in the past but this tops that.

Crazy absolutley crazy. Get of your Luca and shut up! Your boring us now.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:53 (Ref:2028836)   #14
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote the Autosport article - Ferrari have won the constructors' championship - Er no they did not WIN the FIA gave it to them
Old 2 Oct 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2028838)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Someone should ask Luca if that means Ferrari are not as good as their private entrants. And if they've employed duff drivers.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:01 (Ref:2028844)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Though none of us want to hear it at this point of the championship, Montezemolo is right. McLaren appear to have gotten a massive 'leg up' with Bridgestone tyre set-up and that's likely to have given them a significant edge at the beginning of the year. Just look at where last years champions Renault have been all year. The championship will always be tainted because the team was excluded while illogically the drivers weren't. A very sorry state of affairs indeed.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:06 (Ref:2028855)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yup davyboy's unpopular position is the correct one, IMHO. I don't like the words that di Montezemolo used, but the gist of his point is correct.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2028871)   #18
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Yup davyboy's unpopular position is the correct one, IMHO. I don't like the words that di Montezemolo used, but the gist of his point is correct.
Hurrah! Two logical, well-reasoned responses that truly reflect the correct outcome when viewed dispassionately. If McLaren benefitted from the Ferrari data (and look at their 2006 results) then by implication, so did the drivers. Take one or two tenths away from the McLarens at each race, and see how history would have been re-written.....

Having said that, you cannot understate the phenomenal performance of Lewis Hamilton. Fuji was an astonishing performance. This boy is so good, it beggars belief. So, tainted, yes. But in years to come, that will be forgotten. Meanwhile, be happy to have witnessed a stellar performance across the whole season. Herr Schumacher's natural successor? All those tipped at the start of the season have been blown away.............!
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:29 (Ref:2028877)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose no more tainted than the eventual 1994 drivers champion.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:29 (Ref:2028878)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
How many times does he need to say it, though? If it's not him spouting about McLaren using Ferrari data it's Jean Todt - even if you agree with what they say, they don't need to keep saying it!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:40 (Ref:2028883)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there obviously is something true and something false in what Montezemolo says; of course the effect of espionage will never be quantified; in one things he's perfectly right though: Lewis will have to thank Ferrari for the many blunders they made this year; without those blatant mistakes (just the latest is the tyre choice at Fuji) his walk to the title would have been way tougher, if not jeopardized.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2028892)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bailey
If McLaren benefitted from the Ferrari data..
One has to wonder why Ferrari haven't benefitted from the same data. Since the e-mail Autosport printed last week seemed to be detailing precisely to what extent the Ferrari was... not completely conforming to the spirit of the rules, then I have to read those comments as equivalent to 'it's my ball and if we don't play the way I want to I'm taking it home'.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2028901)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
McLaren appear to have gotten a massive 'leg up' with Bridgestone tyre set-up and that's likely to have given them a significant edge at the beginning of the year.
Evidence?

And it can't be a bigger leg-up than the one Ferrari got from working with Bstone for years...
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2028904)   #24
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We the fans know that Lewis will fully deserve the title should he win it. In 10 years time i will remember his great drives at Canada and Japan (amongst others), i will not think back and refer to the spy scandal.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:05 (Ref:2028910)   #25
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The McLaren went quicker the first time it ran on Bridgestones at the end of last year, well before there was any question over data.

And its biggest advantage this year has been reliability, rather than performance.

Nothing tainted there.