Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Oct 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1728974)   #1
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ear Defenders

I dont know how much discussion i am going to get out of this thread or that iv'e put it in the right place i just wanted to make a point about, why peaple wear ear defenders, especially at History racing today. I think one of the reasons that peaple visit racing circuits around the country to see old car racing is to listen to the beauty of the engines, weather its a V8, V12 or V16 they all sound amazing.

Listen to this that was posted on another thread.

http://www.gordonbennettbooks.com/gbblog/V16BRM.mp3
Old 5 Oct 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1729136)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been going to motor race meetings for over 40 years, and I have never worn ear defenders, even in the confines of pit garages because the sound is a major part of the pleasure. However, there is no doubt that regular exposure to very loud noise does have a long term adverse effect on some people's hearing. I've also spent a lot of time listening to what we used to call 'heavy' or 'progressive' rock, like Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc and still seem to be of reasonable hearing. Mind you I don't always hear what my wife is saying ......... or maybe that's selective deafness!
Old 6 Oct 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1729705)   #3
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
haha very good John. It must be good to be deaf sometimes
Old 6 Oct 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1729726)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well I'd recommend that little kiddies ought to 'wear' them, I did for a while.

However, I must say I wasn't wearing them one practice session at Birmingham F3000 in 1989, as Stephane Proulx came out of Bristol Street pits and slightly more than 'blipped' the throttle, more like gave it a big 'wang' and my right ear didn't stop ringing for the rest of the day!!!
Old 6 Oct 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1729746)   #5
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
I agree with the little kiddys part but it was like a time i can remember i got an ear drum infection not so long a go when i stood next to a formula 1 car at full revs in the pits at World Series by Renualt Donington Park.

Heres a video of the R25 going round Donington:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yk-jbtAQCU

But heres a Video of it playing a national anthem its not brilliant quality and you cant get the full effects but i like it when on full revs the car shakes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3p15SXe_o

Loved every second off it the noise is amazing.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1735981)   #6
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are times when i've wished i'd had ear defenders. F3 at Snetterton i was posted at the end of the Revvit Straight just before the braking zone and i think my ears were bleeding towards the end of the first practice session.
When i was about 5 my dad would regularly take me and my brothers to Snetterton to watch Pacific and Lotus F1 testing (the access was so easy, unlike now.
I was standing about 2 meters from the back of the lotus when the fired it up, this being my first real contact with a F1 car i didn't really now what to expect. when the fired it up i just ran away.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1737420)   #7
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
I think thats what i would have done.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1737585)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, not surprising really. I remember being at Silverstone for 1000Kms in 1991with both of my sons. My youngest, Brian, was only 5, and I was holding his hand, when Keke Rosberg who was motoring gently out of the pits slip road to join the track at the exit of Copse in the Peugeot 905, suddenly floored it. The poor lad jumped about 2 feet into the air.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1737600)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only places I can think of where defenders are necessary is in the tunnel at Monaco or top fuel dragsters. Club and historic racing all seems much quieter than it was back then, more the pity.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1737919)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different people have different sensitivities to sound. Some ears can be damaged more easily, like mine (thanks for the genes, dad).
Although some engines sound beautiful, these ears have to last me another 50-60 years and I've already damaged them by being ignorant.

I actually have an ultimateear.com business card here. Been meaning to order a pair for quite a while! I should pop into the marhall's forum and ask their recommendations?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1737948)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebullet
. . .
But heres a Video of it playing a national anthem its not brilliant quality and you cant get the full effects but i like it when on full revs the car shakes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3p15SXe_o

Loved every second of it the noise is amazing.
Spot on. And the generosity of a French team playing the British National Anthem needs to be acknowledged.

Bet they did not get as far as the second verse though. My favourite.

Regards

Jim
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1737952)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
As someone who suffers from chronic tinitus I wish someone had advised me to wear ear defenders in the past.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1737953)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Yes, I've always thought that putting silencers on a racing car ought to be a criminal offence.

Ear defenders are some times necessary/comforting if you are in the pits or between walls (or listening to Tom Walkinshaw's horrid Mazda rotary) but I don't generally bother. After nearly 40 years of marshalling and some years of gunfire, (all without ear defenders mostly) my hearing still seems fine.

What was that you said?

Jim
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1750899)   #14
Red Bladder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Red Bladder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too would echo (no pun intended) centiment that the noise is a major part of the attraction and have the Nick Mason book with CD to boot. The sound of the BRM V16 being my favourite. I once saw it at Shelsley Walsh, the noise was unbelievable.

However, two points: 1) Children should wear them
2) They should be worn for the current F1 cars except when on the pit row for those who gan get such a privaledged access.

Prior to 2006 at the GP never bothered but for 2006 really had to since the top frequency seemed far higher than before.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1750918)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think it very much depends on how close to the rtace track you are standing. For example, at Silverstone spectators are a long way back from the track and so the noise has been deadened a little by the time it reaches them. At other tracks like Brands Hatch of maybe Cadwell Park where you are a LOT closer to the action, the noise from engines is correspondingly louder.

It all comes down to a matter of personal taste and preference. I always wear mine at the GP for example as I find the noise does hurt my ears. However, I rarely wear them anywhere else.

I have a set of Berreta ear defenders which stem from the days I used to go clay pidgeon shooting.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1750970)   #16
Red Bladder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Red Bladder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Stephen. Since I am a 'flaggy' I (like you) am pritty close to the track. Now that we are 'on radio' the issue (of ear defenders) is solved for us, except when on 'the green flag' when there might be 3 on the post.