Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Oct 2001, 09:37 (Ref:156173)   #1
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC to Dump BTC

Reading in AutoDistress this week stated that the BBC are considering dumping the BTC in favour of covering the champ car series?

mmmmmmm, that makes sense dosen't it?

I mean the champ car series is only contested over a whole continent and thats much cheaper than following a series from a small island isn't it?

Oh well, let them do it.

Just get ITV to do a pukka job of it
Old 5 Oct 2001, 10:09 (Ref:156179)   #2
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Eddie if they did they would just take footage from the contracted TV crews a bit like ITV does with F1. Let's face - BTCC coverage hasn't been what it used to be and that's even providing for the fact the cars aren't as dramatic and there aren't as many of them. If only they'd shown more of the Production boys it could have been so much better but Wattie never sounds as if he's bothered when they flash up on the screen. Someone at TOCA please give the Production cars 18inch wheels for next year and make them look a bit racer at present they look like hot wheels models.

Tomorrow i shall be turning on Grandstand and relaxing with a glass of lemonade in front of recorded highlights of summer outdoor bowls and about four horses jumping over some fences.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 16:57 (Ref:156336)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think ASCAR will replace BTCC as the most popular 'tin top' series in Britain next year.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 17:26 (Ref:156347)   #4
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is ASCAR still going? i thought it flopped completely!

anyhoo C5 already show all the CART and with ITV having F1 i reckon they should go with CH4 they appear to be the best terrestrial channel for sports (espescially motorsports) all he has to do is negotiate so that it wont be shown at 3am on a monday!
Old 5 Oct 2001, 17:55 (Ref:156356)   #5
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think C4 would be best.

I also think if an indie TV channel gets coverage rights it will boost the much needed sponsorship for teams and manufacturers as they can advertise freely.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 19:54 (Ref:156427)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BBC coverage of late has been far from perfect, but if they don't show the BTCC, where do we go from here? Please, please not channel 4 because I can only get that in B&W
Ascar replacing the BTCC as most popular tin top series next year - just who are you trying to kid. I was under the impression that the only way Ascar was surviving was by giving away most of the tickets for their rounds this season. We saw the Ascar at the Cart race at Rockingham and nothing would persuade me to actually pay to go to any race meeting where they're top of the bill. Boredom hits the track just about sums up Ascar, please don't insult the BTCC by trying to compare it to Ascar.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 20:00 (Ref:156430)   #7
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll only watch it if they keep good old Coxy

And ofcourse........Dawn I know how to make MF's day bad now !!
Old 5 Oct 2001, 23:15 (Ref:156515)   #8
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ cars are extremely boring, I went to a race once last year in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. All you see is formula 1-esque cars with turbo-v8s going around a track 200 times until another driver either pits or crashes out so you can pass. The only passing I saw was When Juan Montoya came up from 8th to 4th in 25 laps. 25 laps!!

I do not understand that somebody would want to swap the most exciting racing in the world for boring oval racing, is anyone with me??
Old 6 Oct 2001, 11:59 (Ref:156688)   #9
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the solution is to act fast, dump BTC Touring rules, and give teams time to adapt current cars to Sport 2000 ETCC rules. It is the only way the BTCC will be saved.
Old 6 Oct 2001, 22:26 (Ref:156888)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to see the BBC covering both, LIVE.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 00:12 (Ref:156908)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a lot of you are missing the point that Vauxhall, and the 'other manufacturer at the time' (Proton) both said they would only join up if a better TV deal was clinched.

Now this I believe the BBC has dumped the BTCC, but it is now going to another channel like C4, where I personally think a lot of races will be live.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 01:44 (Ref:156926)   #12
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there is to be a change, who will do the commentary? Who will I be hearing on my 2002 or 2003 review video??? Its the only way i can see the btcc racing!
Old 7 Oct 2001, 08:33 (Ref:156970)   #13
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep Coxy or I won't watch it!
Old 7 Oct 2001, 08:34 (Ref:156971)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't surprise me if the BTCC went somewhere else.

BBC started doing the BTCC in 1988 didn't they, who covered the championship before then, and what was the TV like. Didn't Neville Hay do the commentary pre-88.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 16:23 (Ref:157132)   #15
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC has been a pale imitation of its former self this year. The racing has been good at times, that there's no denying, but it get's a bit boring watching Vauxhall win every race (thank God for MG, eh?) I certainly wouldn't pay to watch a race as I have in previous years.

I think all in all, it will be better for next year though. Give the coverage to C4, and let's watch the DTM on BBC instead.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 22:40 (Ref:157259)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
We asked Richard West this very question at Brands. He couldn't say too much but basically there has been a complete review of the coverage. He wants to see the series get a regular slot at a regular time and not show on race weekends, with proper promotion and more behind the scenes features. To do that he is looking at every option. The only definate thing he could say was expect an announcement in the coming weeks.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 17:33 (Ref:157542)   #17
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regular time slot at regular time-won't be the BBC then!