Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Jun 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1015061)   #51
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if you can get old pieces of kerb!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1019341)   #52
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic but here's a picture of me exiting the old chicane a month ago.

http://www.exige.me.uk/bus-stop.jpg

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 13 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1035661)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good pic, BTW!

I've just read on DSC that the fences along Kemmel are bigger. FIA demand. This will make none-fence photos harder to take. You can still see over them from the top of the bank. A small price to have the GP back there though.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1037545)   #54
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the love of God, cant they just let old dogs lie. I read in autosport this week that there are plans to make three new smaller circuits connecting to the main gp circuit. I also read in the same magazine that the brilliant new chicanes are infact utter **** and give less over taking opportunity. Plus the fencing for the kemmel straight now ruins any sense of closeness to the cars, that you had before along that straight. Why on earth when the f1 bus roles back into town do they have to bugger up everything, no doubt they'll say 'eau rouge is too dangerous, and so's the hill it they go up, so that'll be flattened. So this year bye bye to decent viewing positions, next year bye bye to some of the ardennes forest as they make way for a national circuit inside. Is there nothing we can do to stop this constant downgrading of fantastic circuits. I'm sorry this has just touched such nerve very close to my heart..next rant will be about the le mans circuit i'm sure.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 19:33 (Ref:1037560)   #55
M Coupe
Racer

Alistair,

If you think back, Eau Rouge had a chicane the year Senna was killed, thankfully it didn't last.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1038290)   #56
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmm, just found a small article about this topic.. link
Old 16 Jul 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1038509)   #57
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i despise everything to do with that open-wheeler cr4p!

lets not forget how jmb and little bernie killed grp c
Old 17 Jul 2004, 07:19 (Ref:1038832)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well I love Spa have 'done' a fair spectrum of all the racing at Spa. It's all great.

This is the trackside forum and has members from, er, all walks of life. Perhaps instead of bashing and censor dodging you could add something to the discussion in hand. I share your frustrations however this is independent of the case you cite.

I also share your frustrations about Spa. The chicane before was a good overtaking opportunity and now, perhaps, isn't. However I also remember visiting Spa last year and seeing a banner in Francorchamps that said "Save our GP". I rejoice that again Spa will see all kinds of cars on the track again.

One positive note, although IMHO not enough to make up for the change, drivers are saying it is better to drive through and more rewarding (quotes in the same article). The kerbs aren't as harsh as before. It was quite out character (in a way) that you had all the sweeping bends of Spa and then you bashed it over some serve kerbs once a lap.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1038840)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But you also should be bashing it over the kerbs at Les Combe/Malmaedy as well.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1038842)   #60
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is true, although a little faster so it 'smooths' them out a little.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1038849)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course we will be making our own assessment of the changes in Spetember won't we Adam?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1039104)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Not this Septemeber but maybe next. Although that will mean 18 months between Spa races, which seems a long time.

We have a project hatching and Septemeber may be too soon...
Old 17 Jul 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1039141)   #63
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only have to wait until 2 weeks time to see the changes, then my view might change, but i doubt it. Adam, what do you think about the plans to dice up the Spa circuit to contain 3 smaller circuits within. Dont know whether you saw the article or not, its in this weeks Autosport.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1039174)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Alistair. I haven't seen it either.

Adam. A new project? Should we be told?

I'm going to plod around in September anyway. YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1039474)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Project. Well, something a bit more suitable for Spa! A V12...

Alistair, I have seen it. It depends how they construct the 'links'. I wouldn't want too much forest dug up (not from an ecological POV, but as mentioned it may destroy the look of Spa!). There is a lot of forest so it may be OK.

Anything that means Spa is more successful is to be welcomed. However I worry that clubbies like us will have less opportunities to race on the full circuit. I would certainly be less interested in going if we were racing on the short track, which misses out some great corners.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1039494)   #66
M Coupe
Racer

Have to agree, Spa is the whole thing not a selction of shorted circuits, I certainly wouldn't do a trackday on anything other than the full circuit, can't imagine entering Blanchimaont at anything less than 110mph .

Last edited by M Coupe; 18 Jul 2004 at 09:54.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 18 Jul 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1039558)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If you did it would be a nothing corner...
Old 18 Jul 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1039596)   #68
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Just watching the Euro F3000 race. They have left the old road so it isn't impossible to use th eold config. Although the kerbs would be wrong. It is also still possible to miss the bus stop completely.

It also strikes me that it is now nothing like a bus stop!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1039756)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
It also strikes me that it is now nothing like a bus stop!
Um, how many busses have you tried to board whilst they were travelling on opposite lock at 50 to 80 mph?
Old 18 Jul 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1039911)   #70
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumours of new track configuration (several smaller circuits) aren't new.

The moment they cut down the trees to make way for the new chicane, people were saying there would be new section(s) on the track.
One of those rumoured was a right turn half way Kemmel down to just before Blanchimont.

Apparently Autosport found those rumours and printed them in the magazine.

The only logical reason to get 2 or 3 circuits at one place for me is a financial one.
You can rent the track(s) multiple times for private testing, so more income.

Most drivers seem to go to Spa for Blanchimont, La Source and Eau Rouge. If you put all 3 in 1 circuit leaving out Les Combes, Pouhon and Stavelot people will still come to race but they require less track officials. Which means less costs!

As long as F1 and the events like the Spa 24 Hours can race on the long circuit people will come. And those people spend money, not the ones during the BMW Club and Ferrari Days.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1040286)   #71
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Pouhon is one of my favourites.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1040553)   #72
M Coupe
Racer

Pouhon is amazing I'm exiting there at just over 120mph.

Blanchimont without the run up from Stavelot would be just a bend, no challenge.

I think people wouldn't rush to Spa for a shorter track, although with Eau Rouge it would still be stunning.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 19 Jul 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1040701)   #73
pincus52
Rookie

pincus52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all , hi adam

The turn " bus stop " was transformed on the circuit of spa francorchamps

Small a video of amateur who shows the new drawing of the track

http://users.skynet.be/fa585368/chicane2004testday.mpg

one pics
http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/gfx/...x/DSC00583.jpg

the old chicane

Last edited by pincus52; 19 Jul 2004 at 20:43.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1040744)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Great pictures as always.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1040757)   #75
pincus52
Rookie

pincus52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi adam

Come you to roll has spa francorchamps in September for the 6 hours????????????????????