Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jan 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1818735)   #1
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Coniston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ascari - alive and kicking!

Lots of uncertainty surrounding Ascari in the last few weeks as they announced that they are not making road cars anymore, but advert in Autosport today states they are seeking drivers for GT3 - I assume this is for FIA. The area code on the add so I guess this is either the factory or a local team - does anyone know?

Hope they do well, Damax cars were quick last year but not very reliable. Look good though and it's good to have some Brits to look out for!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1818798)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damax are slated to return, but Ascari must run 6 cars this year to be eligible for the championship - and have committed that there will be a second team of 3 cars, whether run by themselves or a satellite (as reported on dailysportscar on Jan 10).

Too bad about the road cars ceasing production, as they're quite sweet...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1820159)   #3
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
Leoparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, the three cars being built at the factory have no team running them, begs the question will Ascari be running them themselves.....correct me if I am wrong but GT3 regs precludes manufacturers running cars.......it also questions there eligibilty as they are not making the road car on what the GT3 car is based, let alone the 200 cars being built (or intended to be built!!!) otherwise every manufacturer would build a car with the intention of making it to then only use it on the race track.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1820451)   #4
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Hmm - on this basis it looks less promising! I guess it would help if we knew what team was running the cars if indeed a manufacturer is not allowed to run the cars. Though, if they are not manufacturing the road cars anymore, then maybe they aren't breaking that rule! Seems an extreme way of getting around it if that is the case! Have any drivers on here been in touch with Ascari with regards to the drives available?
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1820463)   #5
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Venturi still allowed to enter cars if they can get 6 entries, considering they aren't selling production versions?
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:43 (Ref:1820468)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Is Venturi still allowed to enter cars if they can get 6 entries, considering they aren't selling production versions?
They lost the GT3 homologation
Old 20 Jan 2007, 20:37 (Ref:1820496)   #7
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand how they ever got it in the first place if they weren't building any new Atlantiques.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1821596)   #8
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
They have not been building Atlantiques for a couple of years......this is all very interesting as I read that BMW were looking at trying to get the Z4 homologated in GT3 form. How big is the grid going to be??
Old 22 Jan 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1821597)   #9
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
Incidentally, I saw the Advert in Autosport and it is the factory as a contact number.....how can they do that???
Old 22 Jan 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1821703)   #10
grazias
Rookie

grazias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say deal is good at Ascari - tried getting some information about the drives available for GT3 cars they advertising in Autosport and woman I spoke to couldn't give me any help on race by race or season package. Think I will go and see what the deal is like in British GT with a team that want to do racing.

Note: if you want drivers to take the option up the you should at least try be helpful on the phone. I don't want to come for factory visit if it means a long trip and for no reason when the prices are shown that aren't worth it. Just because there is carbon fibre chassis involved does not mean the pockets are lined with gold!
Old 22 Jan 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1821725)   #11
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
The car is one of the most expensive in the series......not sure what there gameplan is if they advertise in Autosport and then are vague on the telephone
Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1821919)   #12
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Grazias - what were the prices? If you couldn't get any decent info from them I suppose it's little suprise that the road car business has failed.

Leoparky - how much is the GT3 car? How does it compare to others in FIA GT3?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1822233)   #13
grazias
Rookie

The woman on phone not helpful

My english is good but it seemed like I was talking another language asking for information on racing cars.
Sponsor will do deal with someone els now. Shame as I liked car but no go with team who not know how to run.

They will not get good with help like that....seyloco beifto....
Old 23 Jan 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1824011)   #14
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
What's the translation of 'seyloco beifto' or will it get the feminists mad?!! Seems odd to have a contact person mentioned on an advert who isn't then able to answer basic questions. A friend has a Gordon Keeble and we went to the Ascari factory a few years back with the Gordon Keeble Owners Club. I was very impressed with the factory and the staff who showed us around. This is why I'm interested in how they are doing. I'm sure there must be some good people still there? I can't remember the names of the guys who showed us around - sorry guys if your reading this!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1824491)   #15
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
The car is priced at circa £175,000 which is the most that can be charged for a GT3 car (this I believe is just for a std car), The bit I don't understand is why are the factory handling driver enquiries unless they are planning to race the car themsleves (which they are not allowed to!)
Old 29 Jan 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1829040)   #16
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Talking to my friend with the Gordon Keeble over the weekend it seems that they are running a team from the factory (it is them seeking drivers as above). Must be another rule change.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1829437)   #17
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
How can they get away with that..........all of the other teams will be up in arms about that surely???, with the expanding grid I dont see why Ratel should need to offer such concessions
Old 30 Jan 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1829465)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoparky
How can they get away with that..........all of the other teams will be up in arms about that surely???, with the expanding grid I dont see why Ratel should need to offer such concessions
So a car that only got into the series by the rules being bent to accommodate it is now going to be run by a factory team for which the rules will need to be bent again....?

Wonder what Mr Short thinks of this.....?
Old 31 Jan 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1830429)   #19
grazias
Rookie

I not understand this - thought that teams not run by manufacturers. Cost go up if do and that not idea in gt3.

Only common in gt3 is rules bend daily and to those with friends in big places.

you need bar of gold to get rule made for you now to go race?

where end or do others follow too?
Old 1 Feb 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1830924)   #20
Leoparky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rugby
Just goes to show money talks obviously Mr Zwart has deep pockets to keep everyone quiet and to show the rules do not apply to him.....I cannot see the likes of Aston and Lamborghini putting up with such shenanigans!!!
Old 1 Feb 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1830967)   #21
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Shorty should appeal using what we see here as grounds for his case, he has been badly handled and Ascari are making fools of the series organisers if they are allowed to run the cars but they are such a small outfit who would know the difference between a works team and a private team, farcical
Old 1 Feb 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1831319)   #22
Coniston
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
From the earlier Mosler related thread it was said that as Ascari supported the series in the first year they were looked upon favourably. I can sort of see why this looks bad! One rule should adhere to all but blaming Ascari for being opportunist isn't really fair! I agree that Mosler should also be allowed in. As last year was a formative year it may be that the rules needed tweaking with regards to manufacturers running teams - as we have seen, Ascari has only manufactured one customer road car so they probably don't count as a manufacturer - flaky I know but they must have registered with the FIA so one has to assume that they concur. I'm glad Ascari are in but to me it seems that what Gt3 should have been has long since being forgotten by the FIA and SRO - a Group N for sportscars.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1831596)   #23
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Germany there is a "GTN" class existing since the mid 80´s for GT cars, which is rather similar to Group N touringcars. Today this class is only existing in the paperworks. Its best times have been in the 80´s and early 90´s, when some GT cars ran in the VLN and the DTT (group N series in Germany). Only Porsche homologated a bigger number of cars (911 Carrera 3,2 / 964 Carrera RS Clubsport / 993 Carrera RS Clubsport), other manufactures showed no real interests. I think Honda homologated the second edition of the little CRX (there was a class up to 1600ccm in the VLN).