Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3559644)   #1
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Environmentalist177 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber isn't planning on Bathurst 1000.

Interesting read about Mark Webber: http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/webber-...a-v8-supercar/
Old 20 Jul 2015, 04:45 (Ref:3559646)   #2
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No newsflash there.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3559653)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be great if he did the 12hr though!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 08:49 (Ref:3559679)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Environmentalist177 View Post
Interesting read about Mark Webber: http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/webber-...a-v8-supercar/
An ad for another forum, with news taken from someone sitting & watching RPM

Cutting edge. Not!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:25 (Ref:3559703)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not sure he could even drive a touring car, not something he has spent a lot of time in
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3559706)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He said the same thing last year already so it's a pointless article.

Anyway, doing just the 8 races WEC + testing, with massive gaps between events hardly is a packed program as he seems to claim. So if he WANTED he could do loads of races around the world.

But I guess there's still also PR commitments with Red Bull and some TV cash in appearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Not sure he could even drive a touring car, not something he has spent a lot of time in
Sports car / former open wheel drivers haven't had issues in getting used to touring cars in the past. *
He did GT1s in the 90's anyway, and yeah while those cars were more like prototypes in sheeps clothes at the time, they were still closer to production cars than LMPs

* Though admittely Webbo isn't the fastest of learners...

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Jul 2015 at 11:41.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3559743)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
No newsflash there.

Yeah indeed. He's said this a number of times. It's no big deal. I don't see why people are focused on him doing it or not. It's his life, he can do whatever the heck wants. Take the best of both worlds and drive a 919 around the mount
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:19 (Ref:3559748)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As it's a Grade 3 track, and LMP1s require Grade 2 minimum (and they are even scared of them nowadays with the G1 obsession...), they would only allow to run the 919 around Bathurst if it was some kind of one off demonstration show like with the McLaren few years agon, and even then not run to the absolute limit performance
Old 20 Jul 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3559883)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a pity, but we should take great pride that both our Formula One World Champions thought it worth their own time (and money) to participate in Australia's greatest motor race.

Some people take great pride in where they came from, others less so.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3559891)   #10
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm ...

... wasn't there some chatter a year or two ago about him doing the B12 in a porker? My reaction was that it was wishful thinking then, and with his 919 drive that has not changed.

Maybe when he retires finally, playing on the Mountain might work for him. I certainly hope so, it would be good to see, and good for the race.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 02:09 (Ref:3559916)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
It is a pity, but we should take great pride that both our Formula One World Champions thought it worth their own time (and money) to participate in Australia's greatest motor race.

Some people take great pride in where they came from, others less so.
To be fair he never identified with touring cars even at an early age according to his book - so hardly a surprise for anyone that isnt solely focused on V8SC
Old 21 Jul 2015, 04:19 (Ref:3559927)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well it seems a LeMans 24 hour winner wouldnt mind a go at the 1000

BAMBER: BATHURST 1000 REMAINS ON MY BUCKET LIST

Quote:
Shock Le Mans 24 Hour winner Earl Bamber has declared that he still harbours a desire to race in the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.
wouldnt mind them pairing up for a crack at the 12 hour though
Old 21 Jul 2015, 04:25 (Ref:3559928)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting that he outlined that V8 Team Owners wouldnt look at him previously

I think there is more chance of Webber teaming up with 2 Ams than another Pro at the 12 Hour.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 04:31 (Ref:3559929)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Interesting that he outlined that V8 Team Owners wouldnt look at him previously

I think there is more chance of Webber teaming up with 2 Ams than another Pro at the 12 Hour.
Why would webber join 2 Ams, that makes no sense. That would suggest he doesnt want to win
Old 21 Jul 2015, 05:02 (Ref:3559933)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Why would webber join 2 Ams, that makes no sense. That would suggest he doesnt want to win
I dont think winning would be his major motivator for going there. Racing with Bana or potentially someone like Patrick Dempsey from the Porsche family.

That said, what was the driver classification of those who won the 2015 race?
Old 21 Jul 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3559935)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I dont think winning would be his major motivator for going there. Racing with Bana or potentially someone like Patrick Dempsey from the Porsche family.

That said, what was the driver classification of those who won the 2015 race?
Well i disagree with your comment, but the truth is we dont know and we are just guessing, each argument is as strong as the other
Old 21 Jul 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3559994)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love non-news. To my knowledge, Webber has never given any suggestion that the thought of competing at Bathurst had even considered crossing his mind. Thus an announcement that he's not planning to do something he hasn't done before seems to somewhat pointless.

For the record, I'm not planning at competing at Bathurst this year either.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3560030)   #18
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
For the record, I'm not planning at competing at Bathurst this year either.
I have to say, I am disappointed at this news. I'm now rethinking my attendance at any more V8 events for the rest of the year. Something something Foxtel.

Old 23 Jul 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3560377)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
appears Webber disagrees with you

Webber: Bathurst entry depends on Porsche
Old 23 Jul 2015, 07:04 (Ref:3560397)   #20
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
appears Webber disagrees with you

Webber: Bathurst entry depends on Porsche
That is not how I read it. Webber has a scheduling problem with the race date, nothing there about him only going there if he can win it.

Right now as a works driver, I can see his reluctance to take up a non-works drive. But a works-supported drive may be way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
... wasn't there some chatter a year or two ago about him doing the B12 in a porker?
I wasn't sure whether that chatter emanated from the horse's mouth, so I didn't attribute it to him, but that article suggests that it did.

My money is on him doing it, but not when.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3560400)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they did put Bana, Webber and McDreamy in it Porsche would have a marketing bonanza on their hands and so would the 12hr!
Old 27 Jul 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3561458)   #22
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
If they did put Bana, Webber and McDreamy in it Porsche would have a marketing bonanza on their hands and so would the 12hr!
Spot on. I would think there are things going on behind the scenes, but that doesn't mean anything until (unless) there is an announcement. As I said above, I think it will happen. But when - that is a very different question.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3561469)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i cant see any marketing bonanza from having that combination?

the marketing bonanza comes from having webber in a competitive car that can win.

Now webber and lowndes in a car, that would create interest.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3561471)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
i cant see any marketing bonanza from having that combination?
Think outside the existing fans of the 12 hour. This would get on every morning show.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 01:02 (Ref:3561473)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Think outside the existing fans of the 12 hour. This would get on every morning show.
so that would mean a whole lot of women are going to come to the race, highly doubtful.

the attraction is to F1 fans. and they are coming expecting him to be competitive. thus he needs a competitive team and drivers.