Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Mar 2017, 16:04 (Ref:3721214)   #2751
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Anything over 20 is a good grid in my view. Sounds good..

I think it was 2000 when there were something like 30 Fiestas or maybe Clios (I cant recall) entered. Amazing seeing this relatively slow moving wave of hatchbacks going down the Craners at Donington.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3721215)   #2752
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2007 had over 40 Clios entered and they had to run qualifying races.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3721572)   #2753
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Anything over 20 is a good grid in my view. Sounds good..

I think it was 2000 when there were something like 30 Fiestas or maybe Clios (I cant recall) entered. Amazing seeing this relatively slow moving wave of hatchbacks going down the Craners at Donington.
Talking of a wave of Clios down the Craners, you've just reminded me of when the V6 Trophy came to Donington:

https://youtu.be/oUpgf43du_Q

Skip to 11:17

Now they were a sight and sound to behold
Old 26 Mar 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3721598)   #2754
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember the Meganes too, jeez they were LOUD!
Old 1 Apr 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3722951)   #2755
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Article on TCT saying Jason has a new engineer. Does this mean the mythical Caul Faux has moved elsewhere?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3722953)   #2756
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Carl Faux is effectively now the team Technical Director
Old 20 Apr 2017, 12:51 (Ref:3727963)   #2757
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Subaru or MG at the group Thruxton test? http://www.btcc.net/2017/04/20/smith...from-thruxton/
Old 20 Apr 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3727976)   #2758
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
No Subaru or MG at the group Thruxton test? http://www.btcc.net/2017/04/20/smith...from-thruxton/
Interesting; the obvious question is why?

The cars have not shown well, and thus testing is surely needed to improve them.

So, is budget - or rather lack of it - the reason? Has Warren Scott overstretched the finances? Has an expected sponsor pulled out? Was Silverline on a one year deal or a multi year which has been ended early? Is Colin Turkington leaving (and thus his personal sponsors) resulted in a deficit - I was always under the impression he never had much budget to start with mind.

Or have they given up like McLaren?
Old 20 Apr 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3728003)   #2759
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Interesting; the obvious question is why?

The cars have not shown well, and thus testing is surely needed to improve them.

So, is budget - or rather lack of it - the reason? Has Warren Scott overstretched the finances? Has an expected sponsor pulled out? Was Silverline on a one year deal or a multi year which has been ended early? Is Colin Turkington leaving (and thus his personal sponsors) resulted in a deficit - I was always under the impression he never had much budget to start with mind.

Or have they given up like McLaren?
Ah, MG are testing somewhere next week instead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTG5xCnABKM/
Old 20 Apr 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3728057)   #2760
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Ah, MG are testing somewhere next week instead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTG5xCnABKM/
They will be limited in the tracks they can use though, and it can only be Donington or a non-championship venue unless they get dispensation (and donington aren't listing any general test days next week). It seems strange to miss the chance of Thruxton testing?
Old 21 Apr 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3728115)   #2761
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I can (almost) understand why MG haven't turned up for the Thruxton testing as they are apparently hardly flush with budget, but for the BMR Subaru's not to bother must indicate some deep down sort of problem I would say (or the most extreme example of sand-bagging in the history of motorsport!).
They've been well off the pace in the first two rounds (discarding Ash Sutton's freak showings last weekend) which is said to be due to a rule change that was forced onto them 'just before the first race'.
As well as the COG adjustment, the series is running new, wider tyres which they obviously have little experience of/data gained from, and then finally, Thruxton's unique abrasive track surface is different to anywhere else where they will be racing.
I'm sure that this will all come out in the wash, but they're being extremely quiet at the moment and I'm beginning to wonder if they're just going to disappear without trace before too long...
Old 21 Apr 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3728123)   #2762
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I do think that BMR not turning up to testing is a strange one.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3728224)   #2763
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I do think that BMR not turning up to testing is a strange one.
They didn't show up to the Barcelona test either, even though they had said they would take part.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3728226)   #2764
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Something will out soon enough. JP keeping quiet can only last so long...
Old 21 Apr 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3728238)   #2765
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
They didn't show up to the Barcelona test either, even though they had said they would take part.
Didn't hear of anyone testing at Barcelona, but Portimao??
Old 21 Apr 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3728248)   #2766
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Didn't hear of anyone testing at Barcelona, but Portimao??
Some coverage of Eurotech's 2017 Barcelona test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjY0asSmyA

Last edited by crmalcolm; 21 Apr 2017 at 20:36.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3728252)   #2767
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Jeez, they tested on that shtty little motorcycle track about 50 miles from Barcelona? ROFLMAO no wonder cars got written off.

You can't criticise BMR for not going there.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3728294)   #2768
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could debate which track resembles the average track on the BTCC calendar better, a little motorcycle track or Barcelona's GP track...
Old 22 Apr 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3728320)   #2769
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Jeez, they tested on that shtty little motorcycle track about 50 miles from Barcelona? ROFLMAO no wonder cars got written off.

You can't criticise BMR for not going there.
Given that it was an official Dunlop BTCC test where Dunlop technicians were supporting teams in the use of the new tyres for the season, you have to wonder why BMR passed up the opportunity to gain more understanding of their new car with the tyres?

Aside from Simpson's car, what other cars were written off?
Old 22 Apr 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3728327)   #2770
peebee2
Veteran

Isn't one write off enough for you then?
Old 22 Apr 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3728344)   #2771
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Isn't one write off enough for you then?
Cars have been written off (Simpson's was actually repaired) at most circuits. You referred to multiple, not a singular incident as if it was justification for not testing in Spain?
If the risk of damage was a reason to not test, then why do teams bother at all?

Perhaps teams should not test at Thruxton in case this happens again?

Last edited by crmalcolm; 22 Apr 2017 at 08:14.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3728359)   #2772
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Something will out soon enough. JP keeping quiet can only last so long...
I still think it's a lack of budget thing! They really should have admitted defeat and handed back at least one TBL to focus on fewer cars rather than stretch out an already thin budget for another season. That or sub-contracted two of the Levorgs to a junior team.

Dynamics weren't stupid when Neate's money failed to show. Rather than hang on for another peddler, they handed back the TBL to let someone else have a shot. BMR should have done the same thing when seat 4 was becoming hard to fill rather than jeopardise the whole operation to save face!

Looking at the lack of big personal sponsor stickers on some of the cars I can't see Price and Sutton bringing much to the table, same for Lloyd and Taylor-Swift. So Warren's cash is being further pushed to the max!
Old 22 Apr 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3728366)   #2773
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
same for Lloyd and Taylor-Swift.
I don't think Taylor Swift would struggle to fund a BTCC entry!

I agree though overall that things seem stretched. A 6-car entry (which they are now to all intents and purposes) alongside the other categories they compete in, would be too much for many teams to manage.

There's a reason Dynamics concentrate on the BTCC alone, and Motorbase have dropped GT racing. And they are two teams with a lot of BTCC experience and consistency with the cars going into 2017.

If the factory supported WSR and Dynamics alongside Motorbase all limit themselves to a 3-car single manufacturer entry, I worry for the relatively inexperienced BMR setup attempting to field 6 cars, with one car being out of production and the other being different to anything else on the grid.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3728456)   #2774
peebee2
Veteran

Apologies, forgot the first rule of the BTCC forum, to always remember you are talking with people who don't have any idea at all about motorsport
Old 23 Apr 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3728549)   #2775
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If the factory supported WSR and Dynamics alongside Motorbase all limit themselves to a 3-car single manufacturer entry, I worry for the relatively inexperienced BMR setup attempting to field 6 cars, with one car being out of production and the other being different to anything else on the grid.
So they run both MG and Subaru "factory" cars? (I noticed the cabins are setup the same.) How bizarre!