Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3516460)   #2751
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
There's all kinds of rumors now and several sources are suggesting that the Nissan's night test (the one that apparently was used to produce all the PR footage we've seen) saw the car lapping at 911 GT3 cup car speeds!

If that's anywhere near true then Nissan has their work cut out for them, postponing the car until the test only gives them another 8-9 weeks..not a lot to fix such fundamental issues.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3516461)   #2752
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Exactly, them saying their main objetctive is Le Mans is just a shield. They wish they could win one single round of the WEC. They can´t. We haven´t even seeen the car turning with some speed. Like TF110 said Wec races are incresingly a lot in popularity. We should still have two amazing rounds and a prologue but this is so disappointing. Why could they not go the normal way. They have to be so special yet they are nothing special. They are not even average.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3516468)   #2753
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm gonna keep it short this time.

Have faith, it is a new program with a radical solution. It takes time, so I won't judge them until 2016. Even though it is sad that they are gone from the first two rounds of WEC, and probably will spend as many hours in the garage as on the track at Le Mans.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3516475)   #2754
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota also didn't set the 2012 bar high, yet they gave Audi everything they could handle for 6 hours. Heck reliability didn't even knock the cars out, as the 8 had that freak accident with the Ferrari and the 7 ran into the stupid DW which started a cascade of problems...

Nissan was talking about winning this year lol...
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3516477)   #2755
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I hope they succeed, but Im not surprised. Neither do I feel bad for them with all their boasting and bragging. The drivers are a different story.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3516479)   #2756
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
This is very disappointing news, i was looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks but i think the news was un unexpected in some quarters, but it will take some of the shine off the first two races with both nissan and rebellion missing
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:35 (Ref:3516482)   #2757
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
There's all kinds of rumors now and several sources are suggesting that the Nissan's night test (the one that apparently was used to produce all the PR footage we've seen) saw the car lapping at 911 GT3 cup car speeds!

If that's anywhere near true then Nissan has their work cut out for them, postponing the car until the test only gives them another 8-9 weeks..not a lot to fix such fundamental issues.
To film the commercial, they needed to have a camera car. If the car is going full race pace, few camera cars could stay with it. Presumably the Daytona prototypes were there to serve as camera cars. Loaded up with a camera, they weren't going to do their normal pace either.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:39 (Ref:3516483)   #2758
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The drivers are a different story.
Agreed. I can't say I'm particularly sorry for Mr. Cox but for the likes of Krumm & Pla this really does suck.

They've been waiting a long time for this opportunity, only to find out that it may not be that much of an opportunity to begin with.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3516488)   #2759
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The drivers are a different story.
Certain decisions may look a bit rash in hindsight.

Yes I am thinking primarily of Tincknell, because you would assume his manager wouldn't have OK'ed the switch if he had reservations about the GT-R LMP1.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3516489)   #2760
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
To film the commercial, they needed to have a camera car. If the car is going full race pace, few camera cars could stay with it. Presumably the Daytona prototypes were there to serve as camera cars. Loaded up with a camera, they weren't going to do their normal pace either.
Exactly my thinking...how anyone can think that commercial filming has anything to do with the car's actual speed is kind of funny.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3516490)   #2761
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well we are all disappointed but compare that to all the people involved in the team they must be feeling gutted
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3516491)   #2762
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, it seemed like Harry was being groomed for a position at Audi in part due to his connection with McNish (Allan is still technically working for Audi), but if he wanted a challenge, Harry's getting one by being with Nissan, for all the wrong reasons.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:12 (Ref:3516497)   #2763
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a shame it'll miss Silverstone and Spa, I really wanted to see it. I'll still enjoy the race at Silverstone however.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3516504)   #2764
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cox said:
"We’ll Refocus and Carry on Testing in the U.S.
we will be testing at the GM-owned NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, Ky., which was built with a number of characteristics similar to the 8.5-mile Circuit de la Sarthe.
The fact that we can run at Bowling Green, obviously Corvette has a lot of experience there and they haven’t done a bad job at Le Mans! It’s only three hours away from our facility,”

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...ng-in-the-u-s/
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3516512)   #2765
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Exactly my thinking...how anyone can think that commercial filming has anything to do with the car's actual speed is kind of funny.
I was also thinking if they had trouble getting the engine (by Cosworth) started, that could have something to do with running it super rich to get the yellow flames for the commercial. The little bit of flame on other in-car night videos has been blue, as one would expect.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:35 (Ref:3516514)   #2766
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well we are all disappointed but compare that to all the people involved in the team they must be feeling gutted
Agree, and also they choose the hard way so big problems are expected on the first year. The fiasco would be giving up, not having delays in the first stages.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3516517)   #2767
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Yep, it seemed like Harry was being groomed for a position at Audi in part due to his connection with McNish (Allan is still technically working for Audi), but if he wanted a challenge, Harry's getting one by being with Nissan, for all the wrong reasons.
I do wonder if the move to Nissan has anything to do with the potential lack of opportunities at Audi in the near future. Of their nine drivers, Fassler and Treluyer are the oldest (at 38). As a consequence, none of the drivers are likely to be retiring any time soon. As such the only vacancies will arise from drivers falling out of favour, which can't be relied up. As such a factory LMP1 drive with Nissan is probably a good option.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3516518)   #2768
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Come on, people aren't talking about the actual filming laps but their speed during that test. They will have done more than just the few filming laps.

The car has been very much of the pace in Sebring as well, reportedly 14 seconds slower than Audi..that puts them in GT-class category. So I don't see why the 911 GT3 Cup car figure from the first test is supposedly unbelievable.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3516523)   #2769
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Why has the car only just gone through a crash test?
Normal. The Red Bull RB11 only crash tested 4 days ahead of its test debut this year.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3516530)   #2770
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just hope they go to Le Mans… at this point IF they cannot go to Le Mans i think MR. Ben bowlby and Mr. Darren Cox might have to find a new job.

Sincerely i fell sorry for this to happen… nothing more to said right now
Old 17 Mar 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3516532)   #2771
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Come on, people aren't talking about the actual filming laps but their speed during that test. They will have done more than just the few filming laps.

The car has been very much of the pace in Sebring as well, reportedly 14 seconds slower than Audi..that puts them in GT-class category. So I don't see why the 911 GT3 Cup car figure from the first test is supposedly unbelievable.
What source said 14 seconds? I could see 4 seconds with a glimmer of hope for the team, but 14 is attrocious. Imo, they're going to need a serious rethink in some areas. I wouldn't put it past them running different size tires in the rear.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 21:34 (Ref:3516538)   #2772
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:

We don't know if they did ANY speed laps at night. At Sebring, we don't know if they ever got past the shake-down laps. It certainly didn't seem that way.

Probably the reason they are going to a private track for testing is so they can work through their program in peace.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3516539)   #2773
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
We don't know if they did ANY speed laps at night. At Sebring, we don't know if they ever got past the shake-down laps. It certainly didn't seem that way.

Probably the reason they are going to a private track for testing is so they can work through their program in peace.
They did do night laps, there was more run than many are saying, possibly know. The car has(had?)a structural issue that needs to be fixed. Best guess, they are rebuilding tubs after a re-design to strengthen certain areas..which is why they need more time before running in competitive fashion.

Nobody blasted Audi for having tub issues last year..some people need to get over it. This a whole new car, a whole new design...it's going to have issues, some bigger than others. Lots, and lots of unconventional things going on here.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Mar 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3516550)   #2774
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Huge shame but a massive mountain to climb and no shock that they are having issues to get the car up to speed and with crash test / tub issues they can't mess around.
I'm just surprised they don't use Spa as a live test session prior to LM if that is the major goal.
I hope I'm wrong but its all looking a bit AMR One..........
Old 17 Mar 2015, 23:30 (Ref:3516592)   #2775
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Maybe two but not three. Do they even have two fully built and running cars now? This is such a cool car, but it does appear they may have gotten a bit ahead of themselves.
They don't have one.

I don't tend to think having a bunch of supplier issues says anything positive for the competency of the program. The way they structured it with where the cars are being designed, where they're being built, where they're being run out of, and then where they're actually being raced seemed like enough trouble for an LMP2. (remember people are calling Haas a moron just for wanting to have an American F1 team at all)

They can't make it to Spa? Well it sure doesn't help when your cars are being built 5600 miles away at a location 1700 miles from your race shop. Meanwhile for Toyota Motorsport it's a 134km cruise down the road, they could go home every night.
Closed Thread