Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:08 (Ref:3634362)   #51
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
How much would you put on this changing guys?

So it seems that Vettel was entitled to overtake in the pitlane entry provided he didn't have all four wheels off the track (and he only put two off). TrapezeArtist
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:23 (Ref:3634387)   #52
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Why were the cars in front going so slowly way before the pit lane speed limit??
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3634390)   #53
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Why were the cars in front going so slowly way before the pit lane speed limit??
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123825

Force India was pitting both cars at the same time. Hulkenberg was going slowly to allow Perez to finish his stop before he showed up.

Richard
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3634395)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

So it seems that Vettel was entitled to overtake in the pitlane entry provided he didn't have all four wheels off the track (and he only put two off). TrapezeArtist
He didn't need DRS either.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3634398)   #55
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123825

Force India was pitting both cars at the same time. Hulkenberg was going slowly to allow Perez to finish his stop before he showed up.

Richard
Thanks. That makes more sense now. Good on Vettel.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:30 (Ref:3634459)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so there is more than a little irony in that we had a very interesting race in part caused by a mixed up grid but that mixing up had almost nothing to do with quali or the quali format.

a testament to the number of quality drivers on the the grid this season imo.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3634483)   #57
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The track leaves me a little cold to be honest, it's not one of my favourite weekends on the calendar ...
Old 18 Apr 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3634548)   #58
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
other then on the main straights it seems that attendance here has taken another dip. during the drivers parade (which is a great addition to the broadcast so glad we are getting it in Canada now) there were some completely deserted grandstands.

i believe their contract runs out next year and cant say i will miss it either if it goes the way of several other incredibly expensive tracks built in regions with little to no love for F1 (or its ticket prices).
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3634556)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
other then on the main straights it seems that attendance here has taken another dip. during the drivers parade (which is a great addition to the broadcast so glad we are getting it in Canada now) there were some completely deserted grandstands.

i believe their contract runs out next year and cant say i will miss it either if it goes the way of several other incredibly expensive tracks built in regions with little to no love for F1 (or its ticket prices).
It's been like that for years, with those empty stands and it is hardly surprising. There's no motorsports heritage in China and in the 12 years China has hosted the GP, it doesn't seem to have developed any grass roots motorsport. I won't be sorry to see it go after next year.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3634560)   #60
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yep for many years now. if memory serves they used to give away a lot of seats including tickets for the army.

looks like they cant even be bothered to maintain the illusion of a well attended event any longer.

that said though i do think the venue put up a very good race this year. the poor quality of the tarmac (including a rather large crack/bump across the main drag) presented the teams with enough issues to aide with the spectacle.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3634581)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It was a similar situation with Turkey. No one went to it but it was an excellent track, for a Tilkedrome.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 22:04 (Ref:3634629)   #62
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

All nice and well, but.. it was still a safetycar situation.... which means no overtaking anywhere? or is suddenly the pitlane entry still a place where you can overtake?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 05:33 (Ref:3634702)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was a similar situation with Turkey. No one went to it but it was an excellent track, for a Tilkedrome.
I went to it.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 06:08 (Ref:3634706)   #64
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes View Post
All nice and well, but.. it was still a safetycar situation.... which means no overtaking anywhere? or is suddenly the pitlane entry still a place where you can overtake?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I can't remember who it was, but one of the Sky commentators read out the rule and it said overtaking is allowed in the pit lane and in the pit lane entry during a safety car period.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3634739)   #65
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I went to it.
I have always wondered who that lone spectator was; now we know!
Old 19 Apr 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3634799)   #66
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I can't remember who it was, but one of the Sky commentators read out the rule and it said overtaking is allowed in the pit lane and in the pit lane entry during a safety car period.

2016 F1 Sporting Regulations published on 12.04.16 (PDF file)

See point f) below...

39.8 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the first safety car line for the first time when the safety car is returning to the pits. However, if the safety car is still deployed at the beginning of the last lap, or is deployed during the last lap, Article 39.15 will apply.
The exceptions are :
a) If a driver is signalled to do so from the safety car.
b) Under 39.12 or 39.16 below.
c) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track, including the safety car, after he has reached the first safety car line.
d) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.
e) When the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has reached the first safety car line.
f) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.
g) Any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see 39.11 below) may be overtaken.
h) If any car slows with an obvious problem.

Last edited by TwoSheds; 19 Apr 2016 at 12:52.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3634964)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Having just watched the race today, IDK why Vettel complains about Kyvat, he was just taking the normal inside line. Maybe Vettel was just surprised by him being there
Old 20 Apr 2016, 15:49 (Ref:3635165)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
first column by all around good guy Massa on motorsport.com

he talks about his fans in China, a drivers dinner, and his strategy of keeping LH behind him.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3635382)   #69
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Having just watched the race today, IDK why Vettel complains about Kyvat, he was just taking the normal inside line. Maybe Vettel was just surprised by him being there
I think Vettel has that champion disease, like Schumi and others before him- "how dare that upstart try to pass me".
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3635451)   #70
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
first column by all around good guy Massa on motorsport.com

he talks about his fans in China, a drivers dinner, and his strategy of keeping LH behind him.
Thanks for the link, a proper gentleman in the sport. I was so pleased about the time he spent at the AI in January this year.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3635453)   #71
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
he really is.

with the discussions in the 'best driver thread' alluding to the culture of gentleman racers from prior eras....i feel like Massa would have fit in very nicely back then as well.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3635686)   #72
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
not sure where else to put this but things are heating up in the world of social media where Ricciardo is getting tired of being bullied by Massa's son. apparently the little guy has decided to challenged Ricciardo to a kart race.

DR's response!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEeX9ZNHLQx/

http://wtf1.co.uk/massa-vs-ricciardo-kart-challenge/
Old 22 Apr 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3635713)   #73
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
not sure where else to put this but things are heating up in the world of social media where Ricciardo is getting tired of being bullied by Massa's son. apparently the little guy has decided to challenged Ricciardo to a kart race.

DR's response!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEeX9ZNHLQx/

http://wtf1.co.uk/massa-vs-ricciardo-kart-challenge/
https://www.facebook.com/massafelipe19
Massa Jr wins!!!

Old 22 Apr 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3635724)   #74
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
haha good stuff!

two lessons learned...qualifying should just be rock paper scissors and all races should be broadcast for free on social media!
Old 22 Apr 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3635732)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

Felipe himself said when he was young he tried to get Senna's autograph, but he didn't get it and so felt upset, so he now always gives fans time. So I've got a lot of respect for him for doing that. Remembering that he was like us once