Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Dec 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3695857)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
CSCC SNETTERTON

CSCC Traditional season opener. Includes 2 races for the Morgan Challenge.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3722642)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any members of the forum racing on Saturday at this meeting?
Old 30 Mar 2017, 22:38 (Ref:3722671)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly got to miss this one due to work deadlines tomorrow and no time to prepare. Big grids in every series, i think, smallest grid is something like 37 cars!
Old 30 Mar 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3722681)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah I believe a 45-car grid for TinTops....

Should be out with Future Classics later in the year for the more Northern rounds...
Old 4 Apr 2017, 06:58 (Ref:3723655)   #5
BG76
Rookie

England
Cambridgeshire
BG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thoroughly enjoyed this meeting, it was great to see all those grids full of fantastic cars! Here are a few pics from Saturday, hope you like them...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXgGzZx
Old 5 Apr 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3723892)   #6
BG76
Rookie

England
Cambridgeshire
BG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few more photos from Sunday, hope you like them!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXjMK8p
Old 5 Apr 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3723982)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great photos.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3724362)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I hear that 'CODE 60' was used instead of a SC on a couple of occasions. Suggestions are that it went well, but any feedback from those there?
Old 7 Apr 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3724371)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I hear that 'CODE 60' was used instead of a SC on a couple of occasions. Suggestions are that it went well, but any feedback from those there?
I wasn't there but the feedback that I have heard contradicts that!

Try this as an example: "Not for me. Works in F1 with telemetry based penalties. In our world people missed it and then the restart flags, and during it I was unable to keep up with cars in front. Overtaken twice during it"

Last edited by andy97; 7 Apr 2017 at 15:47.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3724391)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wasn't there but the feedback that I have heard contradicts that!

Try this as an example: "Not for me. Works in F1 with telemetry based penalties. In our world people missed it and then the restart flags, and during it I was unable to keep up with cars in front. Overtaken twice during it"
Thanks Andy! That's interesting. Official 'spin' and competitors personal accounts don't always coincide. That's why I asked.......
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3724400)   #11
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mike, what on earth is 'CODE 60'

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3724412)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
Mike, what on earth is 'CODE 60'
Some people .................!!!

It refers to a compulsory 60mph speed limit for all competitors.

I am sure that some 'flaggy' will correct any misinterpretation, or at least fill in more detail. but that is it basically.

Shoeless.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3724416)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Baub, it's actually 60kph, but what's a few kliks between friends.

And you seem to have misspelt your moniker; surely it starts with "clu"?
Old 7 Apr 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3724419)   #14
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mike Harte;3724416]Baub, it's actually 60kph, but what's a few kliks between friends.

As simple as that you learn some new every day many thanks.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 7 Apr 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3724424)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
As simple as that you learn some new every day many thanks.
It's another alternative to full course yellows and a virtual or actual SC. As said, competitors are supposed to all slow to exactly 60kph and not close up on or drop back from the guy in front!

Some hope.....
Old 7 Apr 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3724441)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
How many of us have a speedometer fitted? Never had a race car with one. Yes I may be able to work out a speed at certain revs, and pit stop races usually rely on a similar technique for the pit lane speed limit, but you need to make things simple in a race scenario.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 20:04 (Ref:3724446)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's easy. Calculate the revs in say 3rd gear and mark the rev counter. Plenty of speed/rev convertors on Google

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Apr 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3724449)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I know how it is done, but in the heat of battle it is just easier to glance at a speedo, and who know what gear you going to be in at each part of a particular circuit.

The safety car isn't perfect, but it's an easier system to implement at this level.
Old 7 Apr 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3724458)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's easy. Calculate the revs in say 3rd gear and mark the rev counter. Plenty of speed/rev convertors on Google

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Easier said than done, possibly. I know that in the case of my car, we changed gear ratios and diff ratios according to the circuit. And we also changed the combinations of the two dependent on layout, so that what I used at Brands Indy was different to what I ran on the GP circuit, and hugely different to the setup that was used for the old Snetterton.

I would imagine that modern racers do the same.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3724475)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I know how it is done, but in the heat of battle it is just easier to glance at a speedo, and who know what gear you going to be in at each part of a particular circuit.

The safety car isn't perfect, but it's an easier system to implement at this level.
Then fit one Andy
It's been around on the continent for a few years, personally I find it brilliant as the main benefit from the drivers' POV is preventing red flags - so no ruined races and no lost track time.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3724523)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I think the issue is that competitors at 'this level' are not used to having need of an accurate speedo for things such as Code 60. Like a lot of people, I mark the pit lane limit on the rev counter- usually for 2nd and 3rd if 4 speed box. I set using GPS. (In non racing conditions!) For Code 60 you rely on all cars having an accurate measurement of speed, otherwise you will get cars dropping back or catching up. What chance of everyone having 60kph accurately measured on speedo or rev counter?

I seem to remember in F1 last year, when under virtual SC, LH being caught up by NR- and if they were going exactly the speed legislated that should not have happened...

Personally, if I knew my 60kph to be exact, I would be well peeved if a competitor made up 1/2 a lap on me due to his measurement being 'less accurate'! Plus there is always a chance that someone has a very conservative measurement and holds you up.

I'm sure it will become more second nature with practice, but without all cars having an accurate fitted speedo or a simple GPS driven version, there are bound to be anomalies. I know there are issues with driver behaviour behind SC as well, but probably easier to deal with?

This is the sort of GPS speedo I've seen being used. Just need everyone to have one..... https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ga...-c36/ds50-p401

Last edited by Mike Bell; 8 Apr 2017 at 06:33. Reason: Addition
Old 8 Apr 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3724532)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Or you could consider a gps data logger system dedicated to RC models. Compact, light, often reliable and water-resistant (good for Grp6). Search words could be gps speed meter sky rc. They even record basic data.
In your country/countries I guess no device will work fine till you change
CODE 60 to CODE 37,29 ! If you dont you'll always find some smart butts saying" not my fault thought it was 60 mph !".
Old 8 Apr 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3724538)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Baub, it's actually 60kph, but what's a few kliks between friends.

And you seem to have misspelt your moniker; surely it starts with "clu"?
Where is the evidence for that assertion? I don't think that your claim to be a 'friend' would stand up in court quite frankly, however, a counter claim for slander would stand a very good chance indeed.
Old 8 Apr 2017, 07:18 (Ref:3724539)   #24
bauble
Veteran

England
A previous attempt to post something on Code 60 failed to appear possibly because I forgot to press submit, or deletion by offended moderator.

Code 60 also means 'Speed up Mike.'
Old 8 Apr 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3724555)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Code 60 also means 'Speed up Mike
Robert that would be a CODE 69 then. Something like party already started, join us !
My right shoe says floor !