Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 May 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3974223)   #276
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frank Lampard has put an interesting thought forward:

He's 'uncomfortable' with the idea of football resuming, if to do so requires testing. He's of the opinion that those tests would be better used elsewhere.

Do many in motorsport have the same opinion?
Old 3 May 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3974226)   #277
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Frank Lampard has put an interesting thought forward:

He's 'uncomfortable' with the idea of football resuming, if to do so requires testing. He's of the opinion that those tests would be better used elsewhere.

Do many in motorsport have the same opinion?
If it is literally a zero-sum equation (one footballer tested is a nurse not tested) then you'd choose the nurse. But I don't think it is like that. Prioritisation means the nurse would get tested first. And expansion in capacity means more people in lesser priority groups can get tests without it impacting higher-priority categories.
Old 3 May 2020, 11:12 (Ref:3974233)   #278
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably they'd be tested the day before. Given the test only confirms you don't have the virus now. In which case there is a risk of matches being called off with zero notice if the whole team has to go into quarantine, and then the league would not be able to complete its matches because that's another 14 days lost.

It's a minefield, and I'm glad I only have to follow instructions not write them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3974249)   #279
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm glad I only have to follow instructions not write them
Same for me! But some decisions are rather hard to understand, seems we'll be allowed to take the Métro in May but not to go on the beach in July… May be because we are running out of scuba masks, who knows?
Old 3 May 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3974264)   #280
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Same for me! But some decisions are rather hard to understand, seems we'll be allowed to take the Métro in May but not to go on the beach in July…
Not so hard to understand. Taking the Metro means people can work. No-one need to go to the beach in order to put food on their table.
Old 3 May 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3974276)   #281
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Probably right, all the system must restart. But there's a lot of business made around the vacation, many hotels, restaurants or bistrots need tourists and who can say how many will avoid financial troubles. Same situation for the business around racing.
Old 3 May 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3974277)   #282
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Probably right, all the system must restart. But there's a lot of business made around the vacation, many hotels, restaurants or bistrots need tourists and who can say how many will avoid financial troubles. Same situation for the business around racing.
Quite apart from anything else, many of the beaches here in the north are so big you can walk all day without seeing anyone, let alone coming within two metres.
Old 3 May 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3974281)   #283
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It will be ten meters soon. And the "déconfinement" is now not sure for May 11 we are warned. John, did you understand how the maps work, three colors orange, red and green and? I guess its not directly related to the virus itself but the result of a combination of infected people, transmission risks and the emergency services capacity. Right?
Old 3 May 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3974282)   #284
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
More will be revealed in the week ahead. They are going to review the lockdown on Thursday. So we’ll see if there is a gradual lift
Old 3 May 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3974285)   #285
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
More will be revealed in the week ahead. They are going to review the lockdown on Thursday. So we’ll see if there is a gradual lift
Hopefully the review is based on scientific evidence, and not public pressure.
Old 3 May 2020, 17:08 (Ref:3974291)   #286
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just moved all the over 70s to holiday camps by the sea where they can be protected from the masses by "security" measures whilst they retain their fitness wandering the beaches and, on the better days, get a good dose of vitamin D from sunshine effects and so on.

Once that is effective they can move things through to the younger generations - back through the age 60s for example - although of course that gets little to close to people who will not be of retirement age yet since that target is heading in the opposite direction.

Other benefits could accrue - too many to discuss in this post.
Old 3 May 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3974296)   #287
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It will be ten meters soon. And the "déconfinement" is now not sure for May 11 we are warned. John, did you understand how the maps work, three colors orange, red and green and? I guess its not directly related to the virus itself but the result of a combination of infected people, transmission risks and the emergency services capacity. Right?
Isn't there something about the maps being reduced to just two colours?

I still have not seen a single gendarme in the last seven weeks but I guess they will be busy this week, making as much money as possible. The cleaner at Michele's office was saying on Thursday he had the most expensive baguette in the world. He had popped out from his apartment to a neighbouring shop to buy bread & had the misfortune to meet a policeman, so his baguette cost 135 euros!

There is a little lane behind my house that goes nowhere in particular & is mostly used by farm machinery. However, in the last few weeks I've never seen so much traffic! I guess people are using the back roads in the hope of avoiding police.
Old 3 May 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3974297)   #288
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Hopefully the review is based on scientific evidence, and not public pressure.
"Public pressure" according to recent surveys, would be overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the lockdown in place (in the UK this is)

Far from there being discontent and lockdown fatigue, it seems the "stay at home" message has so successfully scared the crap out of people that it may well be a challenge to get them to venture back out to work, let alone to events and pubs.
Old 3 May 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3974302)   #289
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Certainly we’ve had a few people wrongly defying the lockdown, but we certainly are a lot better than understanding the situation than America. I doubt we will see the kind of idiotic anti lockdown protests we have seen over there over here. We’ll do it gradually as they say
Old 3 May 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3974307)   #290
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Public pressure here is that people want to go out and live normally but not catch the virus. Just impossible. Hence the lock down to be questioned. Might be better to explain them in russian!
Old 3 May 2020, 20:04 (Ref:3974314)   #291
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
A looooong time later, at last my memory serves: Team Les Galapiats. Ever heard bout John? Nice person in fact. https://www.teamlesgalapiats.com
Old 3 May 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3974322)   #292
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
A looooong time later, at last my memory serves: Team Les Galapiats. Ever heard bout John? Nice person in fact. https://www.teamlesgalapiats.com
No, I don't think I have ever heard of them.
Old 3 May 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3974334)   #293
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Most marshals are quite "senior" and will be careful about going to events and even so, if the situation is solved by then we will be rushing off on holiday and Sod Alan Gow's bank balance!
It's us marshals over a certain age, or rather those with plenty of years of experience that normally do the most events a year: I know that my team go to at least 8 venues a year as we get asked to go.

I still think that marshal numbers will fall quite dramatically as many senior marshals I know have decided that having had a break, albeit enforced, that this is a good time to call it a day.
Old 3 May 2020, 23:37 (Ref:3974346)   #294
S griffin
Veteran

Also as you guys are volunteering, you are not missing out on a pay packet by not going. Have nothing but respect for the guys in orange who give up their free time to make sure races happen smoothly as possible
Old 4 May 2020, 21:38 (Ref:3974510)   #295
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Palmer on the future of motorsports after the end of the ban

clubracing to start first

all very sensible and well argued
Palmer, of course

https://www.autosport.com/national/n...WNy1cO808cSw44

RuE
Old 4 May 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3974514)   #296
S griffin
Veteran

Palmer has always had good ideas in place and this is no exception. Give a few minor races a go and then see what’s what
Old 5 May 2020, 07:15 (Ref:3974561)   #297
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
One thing the lockdown has proven is that a majority of daily travel is totally unnecessary.

Obviously not everyone can or wants to work from home, but most of us do not need to be polluting the atmosphere for an hour a day and wasting valuable time in the process.
Old 5 May 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3974562)   #298
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
One thing the lockdown has proven is that a majority of daily travel is totally unnecessary.

Obviously not everyone can or wants to work from home, but most of us do not need to be polluting the atmosphere for an hour a day and wasting valuable time in the process.
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Indeed. I'm doing a contract claims course at the weekends, we are on line and we have people from the middle east and Europe. On many projects where the job crosses country borders I've got used to video conferencing. With the ability to share large files of info via dropbox, sharepoint etc. the need to actually travel has greatly reduced. There is still a need for me to do my job by visiting the site locations but I don't need to be there every day.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 5 May 2020, 07:30 (Ref:3974565)   #299
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

UK.
Not really as a significant amount of work just isn't being done at the moment as most places are closed down. The current "nirvana" many a heralding as a model for the future only exists because the economy is effectively shut down and the Government is paying millions of people to stay at home and do nothing and as such they have no daily travel to work.

It isn't a situation that is sustainable.

There will undoubtedly be some changes in how things get done as the world comes out of the current situation however without wholesale change to a new "normal" some of the short-term alterations that have come about due to the pandemic won't remain in the longer term.
Old 5 May 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3974612)   #300
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most interesting aspect of Palmers interview is that he expects motorracing to take 3 years to recover to pre crisis levels of spending and activities.

More that I would have thought,
but, he may have a point
and he may have given this more thought than me

I can also several drivers, not only marshals either calling it a day or greatly reduce their level of commitment to historic motorsport,
having learnt how to get on in life without it

RuE