Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 May 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4050457)   #251
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My tip for today's stage is Dylan Groenewegen. That ride in Devon was a killer. I've just looked at the stats. There was a section of 1.3km which averaged 10% with an 18% maximum. This was after Iain's chain malfunction.
Old 9 May 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4050504)   #252
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
My tip for today's stage is Dylan Groenewegen. That ride in Devon was a killer. I've just looked at the stats. There was a section of 1.3km which averaged 10% with an 18% maximum. This was after Iain's chain malfunction.
Was he putting too much HP through the chain ? why didn't he carry a spare along with a condenser and coil ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 May 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4050514)   #253
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
A good call Alan, but I have to disagree (otherwise where's the fun) I plump for Caleb Ewan. Sagan in third spot.
Old 9 May 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4050624)   #254
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A good call Alan, but I have to disagree (otherwise where's the fun) I plump for Caleb Ewan. Sagan in third spot.
My tip for today's stage is Dylan Groenewegen.

What do we know!
Old 9 May 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4050638)   #255
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
My tip for today's stage is Dylan Groenewegen.

What do we know!
Yes - didn't see that one coming. Felt very sorry for Gavira who was put into the barrier due to a misunderstanding with his teammate Molano.

Anyway - in other news... Thanks to lockdown boredom, I've just built myself a bike similar to that ridden by Groenewegen, Roglic etc last year. However, it wouldn't get FIA papers. It's the cycling equivalent of a fake Rolex...

Pictures to follow.
Old 9 May 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4050663)   #256
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Here it is...

I won't use that bar tape again - it was impossible to do a neat job. However - the overall result is what I wanted - a bike with racey geometry and rim brakes before the road cycling industry decides they're extinct.

I've only been cycling for a few years but I'm becoming increasingly of the opinion that the cycling fraternity got it right years ago. For most people, internal cable routing is a pain. Hydraulic disc brakes require an investment in tools to look after them. External cables and rim brakes won't make you look like Tadej Pogacar but they might mean you can get home after a problem...

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 9 May 2021 at 17:17.
Old 9 May 2021, 21:30 (Ref:4050715)   #257
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mike was never a fan of disc brakes .
Old 10 May 2021, 06:44 (Ref:4050761)   #258
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Discs are heavy and very severe.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:25 (Ref:4050821)   #259
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disc brakes make sense for off road bikes as mud and grit grinding your rims is horrible, but I never had a problem with my old center pull cable brakes on my road bike back in the day. Tech for tech sake is probably mainly marketing driven?
Old 10 May 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4050828)   #260
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotustwincam View Post
Disc brakes make sense for off road bikes as mud and grit grinding your rims is horrible, but I never had a problem with my old center pull cable brakes on my road bike back in the day. Tech for tech sake is probably mainly marketing driven?
Mafac Racer were they, oe Weinmann LT?
Bob Ex Edgware RC, BCF, BCCA, LCCA.
Old 10 May 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4050852)   #261
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bike was my Christmas present (second hand) in around 1966. 1953 Mercian frame, Simplex 3 speed (eventually upgraded to 5 speed)derailleurs and Weinmann brakes. I still have the frame and somewhere the 3 speed changer.
I wish I still had all the original parts as they were things of beauty and quality, not appreciated at the time, and changed for modern parts as pocket money allowed!
Old 10 May 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4050889)   #262
bauble
Veteran

England
I'm glad I did not tip anyone for the Giro today. What a performance by a debutant. So good to see. Chapeau!
Old 10 May 2021, 21:15 (Ref:4050937)   #263
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm glad I did not tip anyone for the Giro today. What a performance by a debutant. So good to see. Chapeau!
I was willing him on. His reaction when he realised he was going to win the stage was so natural. I've got a soft spot for Wanty Goubert. They clearly don't have the resources of the bigger teams but when Iain and I were at Zolder a couple of years ago and they were doing TT training, they were very friendly towards us and showed a great interest in the race cars in the back of Iain's truck.
Old 10 May 2021, 22:16 (Ref:4050945)   #264
bauble
Veteran

England
Good ride!!!
Attached Thumbnails
315-7014ce7a-5eec-17d4-ce8d-12d9eb1802cd.jpg  
Old 12 May 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4051254)   #265
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rim or disc brakes, an eternal discussion I think and quite a funny one.

I sold all my bikes and race wheels, road and time trial in 2019 after three season of racing on rim brakes and did so to follow the market trend of the disc brakes or what the industry is in fact obliging for and that is the sole reason, in the end the racing bikes will be easier to resell and wheels as well.

On the other hand, I collect time trial bikes and the rim brakes are just fine, I for a fact prefer them to the disc as you can feel them fading, which for the disc is a completely different feeling which I dislike, basically I can't find the limit until I'm out in the grass...

But it's a market trend in the end, just like the first disc brakes appeared in the early 1900s and even equipped Panzer tanks during WWII prior to coming into the light with motorsport, Jaguar and Dunlop!
Old 12 May 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4051295)   #266
bauble
Veteran

England
A few pictures form the Giro; Courtesy of Steephill.
Attached Thumbnails
110-_FF60531-2.jpg   130-_FF52996.jpg   215-_FF61338.jpg  

263-_FF61528.jpg   322-MP2_0898.jpg   326-CORVOS_00033112-057.jpg  

Old 13 May 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4051382)   #267
Alan Morgan
Veteran

There's going to be a very tricky descent today if the weather doesn't improve.
Old 13 May 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4051389)   #268
bauble
Veteran

England
It seems as if Mikel Landa's luck has failed to improve, crashing out of the race yesterday. A man with the potential to win Grand Tours, but not the luck needed to avoid disaster.

Watching those descents, Alan, on wet roads is truly scary, a lot more dangerous than motor sport, that's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
270-CORVOS_00033112-074.jpg  
Old 13 May 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4051535)   #269
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sure its a dangerous business, wet or dry. When you see the rate speed/surface de contact, those riders are real heroes with speeds in excess of 100 kph in the descents! Respect.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:26 (Ref:4051578)   #270
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It seems as if Mikel Landa's luck has failed to improve, crashing out of the race yesterday. A man with the potential to win Grand Tours, but not the luck needed to avoid disaster.

Watching those descents, Alan, on wet roads is truly scary, a lot more dangerous than motor sport, that's for sure.

Dont they have wets and intermediates they can bung on? I must admit I was watching some coverage last night (my time) and it did not look that enjoyable.
Old 14 May 2021, 05:48 (Ref:4051582)   #271
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Post #266, pic 2, is the rider that tall that the bike looks like a mini one?
Old 16 May 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4051901)   #272
bauble
Veteran

England
A French win yesterday Gerard.
Old 17 May 2021, 07:18 (Ref:4052011)   #273
Alan Morgan
Veteran

What a horrific crash for Matej Mohoric yesterday. Bahrain Victorious aren't having a lot of luck this Giro.
Old 20 May 2021, 06:58 (Ref:4052354)   #274
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dropped my Specialized off at Cirrus Cycles for some major work Tuesday. We then went for post lock down curry. Happy Days.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cirrus Cycles Workshop.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	68590
Old 20 May 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4052376)   #275
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well at least the bikes are the right way up.....