Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Dec 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3175671)   #2551
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I want to see the fastest laps in qualifying. Not cars sit idle in the pits waiting for the other to show his hand. And for people there watching, it'll give more on-track time to see the cars put their fastest laps in. I'm all for it.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3175674)   #2552
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Here's Rebellion's thoughts on why the ALMS suits them (exposure and overall wins)-
http://rebellion-racing.com/121205.html
Old 6 Dec 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3175873)   #2553
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Some drivers moved in the classification from Gold back to Silver after appeals to the ACO: Rui Aguas, Ricardo Gonzalez, Michele Rugolo and Spencer Pumpelly.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3175886)   #2554
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good decision from the FIA/ACO to correct those. They were certainly a bit hasty on the old rankings.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3175888)   #2555
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Some drivers moved in the classification from Gold back to Silver after appeals to the ACO: Rui Aguas, Ricardo Gonzalez, Michele Rugolo and Spencer Pumpelly.
I bet Alex Brundle isn't feeling to chuffed that he wasn't moved back down
Old 6 Dec 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3175889)   #2556
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
I bet Alex Brundle isn't feeling to chuffed that he wasn't moved back down
And Darren Cox must be tearing his hair out that Lucas Ordonez is still Gold as well.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3175891)   #2557
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And Darren Cox must be tearing his hair out that Lucas Ordonez is still Gold as well.
Very true. It doesn't bode well for guys like Jordan Tresson and Jann Mardenborough either. For a single years experience and carrying the gold rating, who's going to take Alex over a more seasoned gold driver?
Old 6 Dec 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3175893)   #2558
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Very true. It doesn't bode well for guys like Jordan Tresson and Jann Mardenborough either. For a single years experience and carrying the gold rating, who's going to take Alex over a more seasoned gold driver?
Depends... other guys have been poached when their ratings went up, Mathias Beche for example got promoted from Gold to Platinum recently and from next year he'll be driving for Rebellion.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 22:20 (Ref:3175945)   #2559
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Good decision from the FIA/ACO to correct those. They were certainly a bit hasty on the old rankings.
Where can I see all of the rankings, if at all? I was wondering about where some drivers stood as far as this system goes.

I think the news on combined/averaged qualifying times is great news. It seems crazy to have someone really fast, for example, Marco Cioci qualify near the front of the GTE-Pro field and then the car being passed left and right by the guys like the JMW Motorsport team. Cioci was faster than Cocker, Walker, and certainly Wills, yet when Piergiuseppe Perazzini gets in the car they just get murdered (not to mention wrecked).

I think the qualifying idea was a great one... I was suggesting it for a while and maybe now I've moved mountains! It probably wasn't just me, though.
Old 8 Dec 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3176544)   #2560
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
An updated entry list perhaps ?
Old 8 Dec 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3176548)   #2561
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Where can I see all of the rankings, if at all? I was wondering about where some drivers stood as far as this system goes.
I would start here http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...nghai-2012.pdf

Or starting with page 41 of this for a more expansive list
http://issuu.com/lendurance/docs/lemans2012

There will have been a few changes since, probably noted within the last 10 pages or so of this thread.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3176850)   #2562
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I personally don't see the fuss made about qualifying anyway. In Endurance racing, qualifying will always be nothing more than a glorified practice session. The only time that grid position really affects you is if you start from the back or in the pit lane, and even then, it's more of an inconvenience than a disaster.

I don't really care much for qualifying and wouldn't watch if it it was televised, probably. At Le Mans, I never pay much attention to who's posting what laptime and I'm only really absorbing the atmosphere and enjoying watching the best racing cars in the world lap around the best circuit in the world.

This new system, complicated as it is, does have me intrigued though, and no doubt I'll be doing everything I can do watch and fully understand the qualifying session at Silverstone.

One thing that did make me chuckle was on MWM when the guys were saying that they are the only media outlet which takes on qualifying live was RLM themselves, and they weren't even asked about the new system.. Someone then raised the point that perhaps someone else asked for a new qualy format...the idea of someone sitting at a board room table at Eurosport HQ suggesting that this new format explained by and commentated on by Kirby and Cole makes me lose all hope in humanity.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3176851)   #2563
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't bother me for WEC rounds but I still think there is enough prestige around qualifying at Le Mans for it to matter.

To me there was certainly a degree of excitement on the final evening about who can land the psychological blow. Obviously it barely effects the outcome of the race but it's still exciting.

I think when so much of the race is about stints, tyre management, laps on a tank and consistency - it's nice to have qualifying where it's all about speed.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it in action at Silverstone.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3176854)   #2564
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Since LM qual rules are already different (and a lot of other things too, the whole supplementary regs...) I was also wondering if this was going to be used at LM at all. It would be a shame since LM qual is the only one that actually matters (PR-wise). The wording on the WMSC decision leaves this totally open, as the supplementary regs should always take precedence.

Last edited by deggis; 9 Dec 2012 at 18:16.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3176856)   #2565
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Since LM qual rules are already different (and a lot of other things too, the whole supplementary regs...) I was also wondering if this was going to be used at LM at all. It would be a shame since LM qual is the only one that actually matters (PR-wise). The wording on the WMSC decision leaves this totally open, as the supplementary should always take precedence.
Maybe they could see how it pans out in the first few races before making an ultimate decision on the big show? Not sure if they'd be able to do that.

From a pure numbers and stats perspective too it's great to be able to look back as far as the 70s and say 'these are the qualifying times for the race'.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3176857)   #2566
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
One thing is missing from the WMSC decisions (if it actually needs WMSC approval): reverting the points counting system back to how it was supposed to be before Case: Peugeot (two cars score points and all rounds count). Are they waiting Toyota... :|
Old 9 Dec 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3176861)   #2567
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Just ask Bentley how important Qualifying is. Anybody remember Sebring 2003?
Old 9 Dec 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3176915)   #2568
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Just ask Bentley how important Qualifying is. Anybody remember Sebring 2003?
Yeah , I was there , got the shock of me life the following morning when I saw the grid !!!
Old 9 Dec 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3176921)   #2569
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are we expected to know if India is going to be on the schedule?
Old 9 Dec 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3176944)   #2570
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The 2013 schedule was recently approved by the FIA WMSC meeting and the only change was that Sao Paulo moved to September 1
Old 9 Dec 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3176947)   #2571
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right. But now there is talks between the WEC and the India Circuit to race there as well next year.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3176956)   #2572
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though things can change quickly, Gerard Neveu told members of the press back in Shanghai that India would not be on the FIA WEC calendar in 2013.

So far that is still correct, with just Brazil changing dates.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3176960)   #2573
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Right. But now there is talks between the WEC and the India Circuit to race there as well next year.
Those were the rumours but I don't see how it could work to be honest. If it did get introduced it would have to be at the expense of one of the existing rounds. Teams are chasing/finalising/signing off budgets right now and you can't just go adding rounds at this late stage. Even with the works teams it wouldn't go down well.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3176971)   #2574
The Badger
Veteran

Might tempt Tata outta the woodwork ?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3176972)   #2575
The Badger
Veteran

Aww man , just imagine the fast food stalls in India ..... curry & beer